Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Cortez finally decided to show up. He is Tmobile press secretary and PR man. This dude is trying damage control.

Maybe Legere finally gave him his Tmobile gift card and he is now doing work as the Spin master.

• Like 7

What's Fabian's damage? Like damn shouldn't he be happy? Isn't the entire point of four major carriers 

TO GENERATE COMPETITION AND VALUE FOR THE AMERICAN CONSUMER?

nope it's a mistake it should just be T-Mobile being the greatest and VZW/ATT being complete ripoffs

• Like 3

He's the only one in that comment section doing damage control but everyone else is calling it what it is. He's just like legere and few others. If T-Mobile is not on top then the test is flawed or not relevant. But I could have sworn last test and the one before that john said it was outdated and don't reflect their updates changes to the network

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by derrph
  • Like 2

Eh, I can think of a few others playing that game on Twitter. 

My only real focus on there was knocking down Ookla, but to be fair they sort of did that to themselves when they took out NetIndex. Now I'll admit NetIndex had flaws but there was no reason for them to throw out the baby with the bathwater like they did. At least PC Magazine and Sasha Segan compiled a separate database of their own tests using speed test and manually entering them into their own data base and awarded a speed test winner (Verizon.) That was really in line with what NetIndex showed...

Only when Ookla did their black box stripping out most accountability of the data did T-Mobile come out as the winner in their "awards." 

• Like 1

Boys we shouldn't be too worked up over the recent behavior of T-Mo fandom going wild.

Although Sprint fell to #4 most subscribed in the US, we still hold the #3 network. Good voice and text performance + reliability! It's a time to celebrate our cheap unlimited data plans, our loyalty leasing discount, and the option to still have contracts once they're long gone. Plus, can't forget the various perks we got like unlimited international, wifi calling and free routers!

COMING SoonTM: Data speeds

• Like 4

No, I have more to say. Millenials are the first social media generation, and because of that excessive self interest broadcast to the world, they bring a lot of the crap they receive on themselves. Reap what you sow.

For anyone who is a Millenial and takes umbrage at that, go right ahead. I do not care.

And that, now, will be my last statement on the topic.

AJ

Yeah, and the generation before them grew up with the texting/cellphone, and the generation before them grew up with Mtv and video games, and the generation before them grew up with the rock&roll and broadcast television, and the generation before them grew up with the ability to travel on car instead of horse & wagon. It goes on and on.

Every generation has said the same thing about the younger generation since the beginning of time.

Olds just like to complain about the young. It's a tradition amongst every society.

• Like 5

Look, as an educated geographer, I am no advocate of urban sprawl.  But are you telling me that Millenials like living side by side or on top of one another and using public transportation?  They do not like having affordable houses with yards and being able to drive on non congested freeways to anywhere in a huge metro -- including those supposedly desirable dense urban districts -- within 30 minutes?

I did not know these things.  But if they are so, just more reasons why Millenials are the most annoying generation ever.

AJ

AJ, you might be interested in this revent article about Walmart - king of the suburbs - and modifications they have been making to attract talent to their HQ.

Fair use quote:

That’s a shift for tiny Bentonville, population 40,000, which has essentially been a company town since Wal-Mart became an international retailing juggernaut in the 1980s. Historically, the company has done alright selling its quiet, family-friendly image to those considering jobs at the supercenter-sized Home Office. The retailer that brought discounts to suburbia had little need for a real downtown core; the square where Sam Walton bought his first five-and-dime stayed sleepy and neglected.

But that strategy isn’t working anymore. Wal-Mart needs to attract the Jerome Lynches of the world, who might not have a car and are not thinking yet about kids, from large cities that have lots more to offer. There are typically more than 1,000 jobs open at the Home Office, and most successful applicants would have to move.

“In order for us to compete for the type of talent it’s going to take to allow these companies to remain competitive in the global economy, we have to be a place where people want to live, where they can spend their free time doing things they enjoy,” said Troy Galloway, Community and Economic Development Director for the City of Bentonville. "There’s a major effort regionally and locally to step up our game.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/07/21/why-wal-mart-an-icon-of-suburbia-had-to-urbanize-its-hometown/

Now obviously Kansas City is much bigger than Bentonville, but the challenges Sprint faces to recruit are similar.

Transit is poor. Walkable neighborhoods are rare, access to future career oppertunities is limited. In NYC, if you are tired of company A, companies B, C, D......Omega etc are down the street. In Kansas? Who is going to poach you?

Houston, incidentally has the similar design problem. However, thanks to the energy market, it DOES provide recruits a mass of options on employment. In their case, the companies are there due to geograhic proximity to their product. Not so much for Sprint.

You might like to live in a cul-de-sac, and theres nothing wrong with that. The fact is, in aggregate, young educated talent does not. That is why company after company is relocating from the suburbs to a dense, central city. People want to walk from the bar to their apartment. They want a famers market on the corner. They want gourmet restaurants by trendy chefs.

Kansas City, unfortunately, is a giant suburb, meaning relocating from Overland Park to downtown wouldnt make a diffference in recruiting. Now this isnt an attack on Kansas City. Fresno is the same. So is Phoenix. And dozens of other western and southern cities.

You may be an educated geographer, but I have a Masters in City and Regional Planning. I still cant identify a Sprint antenna on a pole, but when it comes to demographics, economic trends, transportation, and what people are looking for in making their decissions on where to live and work, I am fully up to date on the statistics and literature.

When it comes to recruiting, Kansas City is a liability, not an asset.

The question is, is it enough of a liability to justify a very expensive move?

• Like 6

Users on here are already getting high 100+ Mbps speeds. So coming soon[emoji769] has already come for quite a few people here.

• Like 4

AJ, you might be interested in this revent article about Walmart - king of the suburbs - and modifications they have been making to attract talent to their HQ.

Fair use quote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/07/21/why-wal-mart-an-icon-of-suburbia-had-to-urbanize-its-hometown/

Now obviously Kansas City is much bigger than Bentonville, but the challenges Sprint faces to recruit are similar.

Transit is poor. Walkable neighborhoods are rare, access to future career oppertunities is limited. In NYC, if you are tired of company A, companies B, C, D......Omega etc are down the street. In Kansas? Who is going to poach you?

Houston, incidentally has the similar design problem. However, thanks to the energy market, it DOES provide recruits a mass of options on employment. In their case, the companies are there due to geograhic proximity to their product. Not so much for Sprint.

You might like to live in a cul-de-sac, and theres nothing wrong with that. The fact is, in aggregate, young educated talent does not. That is why company after company is relocating from the suburbs to a dense, central city. People want to walk from the bar to their apartment. They want a famers market on the corner. They want gourmet restaurants by trendy chefs.

Kansas City, unfortunately, is a giant suburb, meaning relocating from Overland Park to downtown wouldnt make a diffference in recruiting. Now this isnt an attack on Kansas City. Fresno is the same. So is Phoenix. And dozens of other western and southern cities.

You may be an educated geographer, but I have a Masters in City and Regional Planning. I still cant identify a Sprint antenna on a pole, but when it comes to demographics, economic trends, transportation, and what people are looking for in making their decissions on where to live and work, I am fully up to date on the statistics and literature.

It isn't that much of a liability, not enough to move. It's just not a top choice for young people these days. But in the end, that's easy to overcome, just pay a little more than the other guys.

Not sure if this has any relevance to rebanding in San Bernardino County, but the County Commission was asked to approve an additional $800k for an 800 MHz antenna site last week.

• Like 2

Sprint is indeed still #3 because they have the #3 network, but no, the media has to use the bs subscriber count metric that temporarily gives T-Mobile a #3 spot in their head.  :rolleyes: 

Coming Soon™: COVERAGE in the other 2/3 of the country. Nah, at least as much as Sprint  ;) 

Coming Soon™: Actually finishing that 2G → 3G conversion. Never mind. Just fragile LTE? 

• Like 1

T-Mobile has their own Coming Soon[emoji769] history. Remember the outrageous 3G map Phil Humm posted at CES one year before the AT&T buyout?

8bd826a65807ee5d15fd19f3d35539c3.jpg

• Like 5

Yep. It's my #1 and #2 complaint about the Midwest. There is no useful public transit in most of these cities, and no middle-class-affordable urban housing in most of these cities (unless you qualify for government subsidy). The design of life here economically coerces most people into owning a single family home in a suburb, driving everywhere, and working at that one job forever.

If you like all of that, if you want to live in a suburb next to Sprint's campus and work at Sprint for the rest of your life, then life is perfect and you wouldn't even know this was an issue.

But if you might want to change jobs in the next 40 years without uprooting yourself and/or family, or if you have a spouse who wants to find work in some other field, or you don't want to maintain a poorly-cheaply-constructed suburban house + lawn, it would really suck to be stuck there.

It's the big "Midwest" problem. It's a problem in Kansas City. But the exact same problem exists in Milwaukee, and Grand Rapids, and Toledo, and Dayton, and many other cities.

And Cincinnati. Omg I hated it. I spent 2 long years there and it felt like a jail sentence. Never again. The Midwest, aside from Chicago and the Twin Cities, is far too boring. As a gay man, that will not do. But I'm also a gay man who has mostly straight friends and dislikes most gay men, so maybe I'm not the best to speak from a gay perspective, whatever that is even supposed to be.

Edit: Atlanta is awesome. A true, global city. I have friends from all across the earth's face and I celebrate every day of it. I couldn't be happier. And...it's affordable as hell. We just need an ocean!

• Like 4

T-Mobile has their own Coming Soon[emoji769] history. Remember the outrageous 3G map Phil Humm posted at CES one year before the AT&T buyout?

8bd826a65807ee5d15fd19f3d35539c3.jpg

Did they accidentally add a 0 into the algorithm or what?  There's no way they could add that much coverage, even in 3 years. Haha  

• Like 1

Or 5 years. But who's counting? 

;)

But wait!  T-Mobile's EoY map is totally realistic by end of year 2015.  Funny there's still an enormous amount of Edge all around, even in suburban areas.  I guess "converting all edge sites to LTE by mid year" was also off a bit, hmm.  

• Like 1

Did they accidentally add a 0 into the algorithm or what? There's no way they could add that much coverage, even in 3 years. Haha

Even the EOY 2015 map isn't anywhere close to that.

• Like 1

But wait!  T-Mobile's EoY map is totally realistic by end of year.  Funny there's still an enormous amount of Edge all around, even in suburban areas.  I guess "converting all edge sites to LTE by mid year" was also off a bit, hmm.  

If all else fails T-Mobile could just put up the LTE equipment and run it off a T1. I'd only see that as a viable option on super rural sites very few people use, though. Otherwise they had better hope they can get rural AAV or microwave out there. 

• Like 2

307ynhh.jpg

Very funny. Thanks for digging that up. 

The end of 2015 coverage, I don't see that happening. I have family that have T-Mobile and still lose coverage in the upper part of Michigan.

• Like 1

Since this is a discussion thread, I'm just going to say that I wish my phone had a Sprint logo on it. Only so I could help promote the company. Also because I like the logo. What are your thoughts?

• Like 1

Since this is a discussion thread, I'm just going to say that I wish my phone had a Sprint logo on it. Only so I could help promote the company. Also because I like the logo. What are your thoughts?

I prefer how Sprint's doing it now, leaving phones close to stock from the manufacturer. 

• Like 10

Fair use quote:

I like your post, James. Except you forgot to mention something. Those people at those trendy restaurants who stand around the bar chit chatting in groups at these trendy restaurants that seem to love placing these bars right in front next to the main doors, so these people just clutter most of the space.

Trying to get through these people, many totally mindless of others than themselves and their arrogant snobbish group of modern day socialites, is just so damn frustrating. It is a major reason why I avoid most of these places nowadays, but sometimes these people love to gather at the smaller, much less trendy, but still great dining establishments.

I don't have a problem with them talking while they are sitting at their table, since as long as they are spending money patronizing the restaurant, that is fine. Yet, I despise when after these people have said goodnight to each other at their table, they continue talking right at the main door as if they weren't just sitting at a table doing the exact thing, only at the table, they weren't in anyone's way.

While they are standing around the door, it is if they've made that small space their own world, completely ignorant of other people coming in or leaving the restaurant. I see that alot of places I go to, sadly so, as many of these less trendy restaurants don't have the space for it. Besides, it disrupts the traffic flow of people who want to get in and eat, along with people trying to leave with takeout orders.

Just so I stay on topic here, in a way, though it really is a good similarity to this. A similarity to people breaking their T.O.S. agreements on their cell phone accounts, or end up using extraordinary amounts of data that affect the usage for others. I see it similarly, at least in a way, to the restaurant situation. Not so much in terms of the action, but the mindset of people not caring how their misuse affects others.

• Like 3