Softbank news: The Sharp Aquos Crystal is stunning and U.S. bound

jonathanm1978

"Sharp and Softbank have announced a pair of new Android phones initially confirmed for Japan that quite literally have to be seen to be believed. If you like the idea of no side and top bezels on your phone, then this is the one for you. The Aquos Crystal follows a more TV-like design with all the non-screen parts of the front of the phone dropped to the bottom leaving the rest to be all screen. And it's pretty stunning looking. Better yet, it should be coming to the United States…"

http://www.androidcentral.com/sharp-aquos-crystal-stunning-and-us-bound

• Like 5

These are the kind of devices I had hoped for when Ntdomoco was trying to purchase at&t wireless before Cingular came in and swooped them up years back.they're old Symbian devices where drool worry then.

• Like 1

Staff has edited the opening post.  Please do not copy and paste full articles from other sites -- especially without quotation marks or a quote box.  At best, that is rude.  At worst, it is stealing content.

AJ

• Like 2

This phone could be cool but it wont be a big seller not when it seems like 90% of people coming in stores are looking for Samsung or apple and the other 10% LG or HTC.

I'd tend to agree, but if they market the hell out of it and assuming that it'll be a Sprint exclusive there's always a certain segment of folks that want something not everybody and their mother has (e.g. iPhone and Galaxy phones).

This Sharp phone seems like it will be exclusive to Sprint in the USA and Softbank in Japan.  Further, Sony had previously been wooing Sprint for another exclusive deal. Combined with CEO Claure's talks with Apple, my bullishness in Sprint has increased! :o

http://online.wsj.com/articles/softbank-picks-sharp-as-partner-for-low-cost-smartphones-1408357352

BN-ED625_softba_G_20140818061239.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry I'm not that up on forum etiquette.

Over in the rules, it links to the guidelines to show the proper way to do it so everyone is protected.

Copyright. Posts/comments are required to maintain and protect the copyrights of other members, other sites and any other copyright holder. Please see this link for guidelines regarding posting articles from other websites.

• Like 1

If this is what they have planned for the take the edge of event, I am not impressed.

Okay, we will just start calling you "McKayla."

mckayla_impressed_ap_328.jpg

AJ

• Like 7

If this is what they have planned for the take the edge of event, I am not impressed.

This is big news for the event. You gotta remember, this event was planned before all the CEO swap news. It's bringing an exclusive device to the U.S. for a manufacture that isn't present in the U.S. for smartphones.

• Like 5

Well. Its impressive that Sharp is getting back in the game and its cool to see that Sprint is getting an exclusive phone, thus having such an event. 

Still, the part i am not impressed with is it being a 4.2.2 Android phone. If they were to get the 5.5" 4.4 version, then I'll be even more impressed. If Sharp is going to try to make a comeback, then they should really make it stand out. Otherwise it will be drown out by the likes of HTC, Samsung and Apple which are soon to be bringing in newer products.

Its curious reading that article that states Sony is trying to woo Softbank. Although I've given up on Sony as a brand, I'm still curious to see if they too will bring something to the Now network. (But thats for another topic)

(I see coz beat me to it with my thoughts about the event) lol

TS

• Like 3

Still, the part i am not impressed with is it being a 4.2.2 Android phone. If they were to get the 5.5" 4.4 version, then I'll be even more impressed.

It's powered by a Snapdragon 400 CPU and 1.5GB of RAM with Android 4.4.2 KitKat.

• Like 1

Well. Its impressive that Sharp is getting back in the game and its cool to see that Sprint is getting an exclusive phone, thus having such an event. 

Still, the part i am not impressed with is it being a 4.2.2 Android phone. If they were to get the 5.5" 4.4 version, then I'll be even more impressed. If Sharp is going to try to make a comeback, then they should really make it stand out. Otherwise it will be drown out by the likes of HTC, Samsung and Apple which are soon to be bringing in newer products.

Its curious reading that article that states Sony is trying to woo Softbank. Although I've given up on Sony as a brand, I'm still curious to see if they too will bring something to the Now network. (But thats for another topic)

(I see coz beat me to it with my thoughts about the event) lol

TS

Well from the way it looks it will definitely stand out. It sucks that it has average specs(it does come with 4.4.2 though) at best but that really won't matter to the average person walking into a sprint store. I think the looks of it might be good enough to move a few units plus I am sure that sprint and sharp will be pushing this device quite a bit.

Specs are average and being on an Android release two versions behind at launch is a knife in the back.  If you want to stand out in the smartphone game, you need to be on top of those updates.  Release with the latest and greatest software versions, then stay on top of them.  Easiest way to do that is stop with the huge skins and stick close to stock Android.

This device sounds great in theory, but it's a pass for now.\

Edit In:

Whoops, looks like this is 4.4.2, not 4.2.2.  That makes the OS a bit better, hopefully they can stay on top of the releases and keep it up to date.  Specs are still midrange.  Only 8GB ROM, 1.5 GB RAM?  Not a device that will be very friendly to large storage and memory apps.  Bare minimum should be 16GB ROM and 2GB RAM for what could be a "flagship" device.

Edited by lilotimz

Still, the part i am not impressed with is it being a 4.2.2 Android phone. If they were to get the 5.5" 4.4 version, then I'll be even more impressed.

The Aquos Crystal larger model is reportedly not slated for release in Japan until December.  So, I would not rule out a Sprint variant late this year, early next year.

AJ

• Like 1

lol wow I really need glasses, I swore i read that article saying 4.2.

I stand corrected. my apologizes members.

TS 

As long as they're not beer goggles. :coffee:

• Like 1

One thing to add, the only specs released for hardware is the Softbank variant. U.S. version may receive a boost if they decide to go full Flagship Promotion for it.

• Like 3

I hope it does get upgraded specs. 720p resolution? MSM8974 Wasn't that released over a year ago? 1.5 GB of ram and only 8 GB internal storage?

I have to admit it DOES look pretty neat with the edge to edge screen.

• Like 2

I wonder if there will be some kind special functionality or some way for it to seamlessly interact with Sharp Aquos (and perhaps other brands) smart TVs.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk