twospirits    3,490

It will wobble slightly like the m7 and m8 on flat surfaces.

But will the camera lens be protected is what I am wondering? Samsung has a habit of having their lens protrude and if not put in a case can be easily scratched. It doesn't look like the HTC E8 will have that issue.

oh btw, video review of the E8. (Those Sprint speedtest results at time index 7:43 is impressive).

TS out

• Like 1

TH4RO    41

Thanks for the link.  Looks like a good option.  The question is will this phone be a moot point after HTC event on October 8th?  Is HTC going to be the next Sony with an updated flagship model every 6 months?  Really hoping for an 805 processor this go around then an 810 in late Q1/early Q2 of '15.  64- bit is taking to long to arrive.

themuffinman    2,592

Thanks for the link.  Looks like a good option.  The question is will this phone be a moot point after HTC event on October 8th?  Is HTC going to be the next Sony with an updated flagship model every 6 months?  Really hoping for an 805 processor this go around then an 810 in late Q1/early Q2 of '15.  64- bit is taking to long to arrive.

Really only you can answer that question.  I think the e8 is a great device to own considering the price compared to the m8.

• Like 1

Dkoellerwx    7,906

Thanks for the link. Looks like a good option. The question is will this phone be a moot point after HTC event on October 8th? Is HTC going to be the next Sony with an updated flagship model every 6 months? Really hoping for an 805 processor this go around then an 810 in late Q1/early Q2 of '15. 64- bit is taking to long to arrive.

Don't they announce their phablet in the fall? I would assume it'll be a One Max of some kind.

Sent from my Nexus 5

TH4RO    41

Really only you can answer that question.  I think the e8 is a great device to own considering the price compared to the m8.

Don't get me wrong.  The E8 appears to be solid and does fill a price point.  It seems to be half way supported by Sprint considering it is only offered online.  Do you think an M8 with dual 13mp cameras (AKA Butterfly J 2) in polycarbon casing would be roughly same price point if it were offered?

TH4RO    41

Don't they announce their phablet in the fall? I would assume it'll be a One Max of some kind.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Seems like I remember reading that Max came out in Q4 last year.

themuffinman    2,592

Don't get me wrong.  The E8 appears to be solid and does fill a price point.  It seems to be half way supported by Sprint considering it is only offered online.  Do you think an M8 with dual 13mp cameras (AKA Butterfly J 2) in polycarbon casing would be roughly same price point if it were offered?

Same price as the e8?  Maybe if not a tad bit more.

themuffinman    2,592

Sent from my Nexus 5

Seems like I remember reading that Max came out in Q4 last year.

It was announced last year October and honestly I would be surprised if this new device has anything faster than the s801 even though rumors been hinting at the s805.  I don't see htc spending the extra money for a more expensive chipset on a device that probably few will end up buying.  Besides the s801 is more than capable, not to mention that the m8 which been out since march is still the fastest and most responsive android device as of this moment.

• Like 1

TH4RO    41

It was announced last year October and honestly I would be surprised if this new device has anything faster than the s801 even though rumors been hinting at the s805.  I don't see htc spending the extra money for a more expensive chipset on a device that probably few will end up buying.  Besides the s801 is more than capable, not to mention that the m8 which been out since march is still the fastest and most responsive android device as of this moment.

The 805 would be nice from a carrier aggregation stand point.

jreuschl    481

The 805 would be nice from a carrier aggregation stand point.

Unfortunately that doesn't mean it will use it.  The Note 4 has the 805 chipset but no aggregation :(

mrknowitall526    304

Just placed an order for one of these.  Finally got over the disappointment that was the Moto X announcement.

With my luck, the day I activate this some never-before-seen version of the Moto X comes to Sprint for free. Ha!

TH4RO    41

Just placed an order for one of these.  Finally got over the disappointment that was the Moto X announcement.

With my luck, the day I activate this some never-before-seen version of the Moto X comes to Sprint for free. Ha!

Let us know how you like it.

mrknowitall526    304

Had the E8 for a day so far and I'm really liking it!  I'm realizing there are only slight differences between Sense 5 and 6, but enough to make it feel "new" again.  Loving the native HTC keyboard emoji support!

I'm really surprised by the increased reception strength ... didn't realize the EVO LTE was as bad as it was.  I haven't driven around a whole lot, but I did pick up some little blips of B26 that I had no idea were there.

Not sure about the battery life so far - currently at 10% but it's been off the charger since about 5:45 this morning.  I realized in the middle of the day that for the location setting you can change it to use lower battery power, so I did that.  I've also been using it a lot and playing around with it today, too.

Came with 4.4.2 installed.

Trying to find a suitable case.  I like the look of the Dot View, but I think it might get annoying to have to hold the flip back to use the phone.

• Like 1

mrknowitall526    304

I'm still impressed with the E8.  (Although, I will say, most of my excitement is due to the fact that I had no idea until getting this that there was any B26 in my area ... or B41, for that matter!)  I also am really surprised at how much better the reception is for 1X and EVDO than the EVO LTE was.  There are places in my house that I couldn't talk on the phone with before, and now I can.  And other places where riding in a car I couldn't use any data because 3G was around -105.  Now it is in the low -90s in the same spot.  I can't believe that!

The battery life seems great too.  Yesterday when I went to bed I had 40% left, the day before that I had 57%.  I've been up since 6 am today and used it a decent amount during the day and it's at 70%.  (I should say, though, that I am at work and have had B26 all day with a strong signal...so battery life is good because of that!)

I hope that HTC doesn't slack off on releasing updates to the E8, since it's the same as the M8.  I was concerned about that, because it has 4.4.2, and thought the M8 was more up to date than that (but could be wrong), but we'll see what happens I guess.

mrknowitall526    304

So the M8 and E8 are supposed to be getting the same software update, so that's great!  Not sure when I'll get it, but looking forward to it ... of course updating manually does nothing.

mrknowitall526    304

I was messing with *#*#4636#*#* and now my phone won't pick up both 1x800 and EVDO at the same time!  How do I fix it so it's right?

WiWavelength    31,421

I was messing with *#*#4636#*#* and now my phone won't pick up both 1x800 and EVDO at the same time!  How do I fix it so it's right?

How did you get yourself into this predicament?  I thought that you were "mrknowitall"?

AJ

• Like 1

mrknowitall526    304

How did you get yourself into this predicament? I thought that you were "mrknowitall"?

AJ

Haha. Well there are some things I don't know!

WiWavelength    31,421

Haha. Well there are some things I don't know!

You have not described what you actually did inside the hidden Testing.apk.  But if you messed around with the band selection submenu, then you were not "mrknowitall," and now, you are an inclined plane wrapped helically around an axis.

AJ

mrknowitall526    304

You have not described what you actually did inside the hidden Testing.apk. But if you messed around with the band selection submenu, then you were not "mrknowitall," and now, you are an inclined plane wrapped helically around an axis.

AJ

Yes, I think that's what I did. I tried them all, then, because I didn't know how to make it work again.

WiWavelength    31,421

Yes, I think that's what I did. I tried them all, then, because I didn't know how to make it work again.

If so, your experimentation put your handset into a single band mode.  It now will not operate properly on the Sprint network nor roam properly -- unless you manually switch the band selection, as needed, each and every time.  Your only recourse is a full reset.  Otherwise, as I stated earlier, you are "screwed."

AJ

mrknowitall526    304

If so, your experimentation put your handset into a single band mode.  It now will not operate properly on the Sprint network nor roam properly -- unless you manually switch the band selection, as needed, each and every time.  Your only recourse is a full reset.  Otherwise, as I stated earlier, you are "screwed."

AJ

Wonderful!  You win some, you lose some.

Guess I'll go Google how to do that now.

mrknowitall526    304

Wonderful!  You win some, you lose some.

Guess I'll go Google how to do that now.

I just restored it.  I'm still not sure if it's working ... still says 1X instead of 800.

Before I restored it though I backed everything up on HTC Sync and then restored from that - maybe that was a mistake.