iPhone 5s 3G to LTE Hand Off Issue

Hatstrow

I've been having issues with my iPhone 5s not handing off from 3G to LTE correctly. I will be driving up to known LTE towers and my phone won't switch to LTE until I get right up by the tower. I first thought this may only just be my area, but I have this issue in other areas as well. My brother has a Samsung Galaxy S3 and it connects to LTE a lot sooner than my iPhone does and it stays connected to the LTE in fully launched markets.

I talked to Sprint over the phone and they said that the iPhone is provisioned correctly and I followed all of their troubleshooting steps including updating the PRL, reactivating the phone and getting a replacement SIM card. Thinking that there was a hardware issue with my phone I got a replacement one through Apple, which had the same issue. I contacted Apple again and they wanted me send in the iPhone again. This time they thoroughly checked my iPhone for any issues. They still deemed the device fully functional.  

This is what Apple support sent me: 

"Since the device maintains signal where it is at and holds an average strength for the model, then the hardware checks out.  The hardware is the same for all of the different programmed cellular bands.  Handoff issues directly relate to the wireless carrier, whether it be the tower provisioning, cellular coverage, and/or SIM cards.  Software can sometimes be corrupted, which may cause intermittent issues, and sometimes the way the device is configured on our server can be an issue as well. 

To ensure the software is functional, we performed a recovery mode restore.  This corrects software issues by installing a fresh version of the iOS onto the device and updating the firmware.  I also spoke with our Engineering and they stated that the device is configured properly on our end.  At the present time, unless it was a software related issue, all signs point to one of the wireless carrier factors."

I'm not really sure all what I can do now. I never had problems with the iPhone connecting to LTE networks before. 

Jacob

Thats odd. Sounds like CSFB issues...but the iPhone does not use CSFB. I am pretty sure that the scanner timer on the iPhone is much higher than most phones...Could this be your issue? When I am in an area where I know I should have LTE, I just do an airplane cycle and it shunts me onto LTE. 

I've been having issues with my iPhone 5s not handing off from 3G to LTE correctly. I will be driving up to known LTE towers and my phone won't switch to LTE until I get right up by the tower. I first thought this may only just be my area, but I have this issue in other areas as well. My brother has a Samsung Galaxy S3 and it connects to LTE a lot sooner than my iPhone does and it stays connected to the LTE in fully launched markets.

I talked to Sprint over the phone and they said that the iPhone is provisioned correctly and I followed all of their troubleshooting steps including updating the PRL, reactivating the phone and getting a replacement SIM card. Thinking that there was a hardware issue with my phone I got a replacement one through Apple, which had the same issue. I contacted Apple again and they wanted me send in the iPhone again. This time they thoroughly checked my iPhone for any issues. They still deemed the device fully functional.  

This is what Apple support sent me: 

"Since the device maintains signal where it is at and holds an average strength for the model, then the hardware checks out.  The hardware is the same for all of the different programmed cellular bands.  Handoff issues directly relate to the wireless carrier, whether it be the tower provisioning, cellular coverage, and/or SIM cards.  Software can sometimes be corrupted, which may cause intermittent issues, and sometimes the way the device is configured on our server can be an issue as well. 

To ensure the software is functional, we performed a recovery mode restore.  This corrects software issues by installing a fresh version of the iOS onto the device and updating the firmware.  I also spoke with our Engineering and they stated that the device is configured properly on our end.  At the present time, unless it was a software related issue, all signs point to one of the wireless carrier factors."

I'm not really sure all what I can do now. I never had problems with the iPhone connecting to LTE networks before. 

Jacob

I am having the same issue here in Albuquerque.  My wife's iphone 5 will pick up signal before and keep it longer than the 5s.

Through my testing in other markets, i find the 5s has a longer timer and the addition to Band 26 in the phone. 

You have performed my detailed fixes but to correct right away, I do a airplane mode and I get connected right away. Annoying I know.

• Like 2

I am having the same issue here in Albuquerque.  My wife's iphone 5 will pick up signal before and keep it longer than the 5s.

Through my testing in other markets, i find the 5s has a longer timer and the addition to Band 26 in the phone. 

You have performed my detailed fixes but to correct right away, I do a airplane mode and I get connected right away. Annoying I know.

So it sounds like it is just the timers causing the issue. I wonder if Apple will fix this soon. I was thinking of contacting an Apple Senior Advisor to see if they can do anything further. 

• Like 1

Thats odd. Sounds like CSFB issues...but the iPhone does not use CSFB. I am pretty sure that the scanner timer on the iPhone is much higher than most phones...Could this be your issue? When I am in an area where I know I should have LTE, I just do an airplane cycle and it shunts me onto LTE. 

I too was thinking it was the scanner timer, but I'm not familiar with changing the LTE scanner timer on the iPhones. Normally when I do an airplane cycle it won't stay on LTE while my brothers will latch onto it. 

I too was thinking it was the scanner timer, but I'm not familiar with changing the LTE scanner timer on the iPhones. Normally when I do an airplane cycle it won't stay on LTE while my brothers will latch onto it.

There isn't any way to change the LTE scan timer on the iPhone. It's really something that Apple needs to change on their own. This problem will probably go away for you when you have ubiquitous LTE coverage, which will most likely be when you get Band 26.

-Anthony

There isn't any way to change the LTE scan timer on the iPhone. It's really something that Apple needs to change on their own. This problem will probably go away for you when you have ubiquitous LTE coverage, which will most likely be when you get Band 26.

-Anthony

That's what I thought. Luckily Band 26 is showing up in a few areas around where I live and there are plans for more to be active later this year. 

You aren't streaming or actively using data are you? I was getting frustrated not picking up AT&T LTE when I was in range in my car, and then I remembered I use TuneIn Radio in the car. And I know better. Turn off the streaming, and DING, the LTE indicator on Signal Check Pro chimed.

During active data sessions, your phone won't scan for LTE. It just happily stays connected to what its doing. And it doesn't have to be streaming audio/video. It could be something an app is doing.

I don't necessarily think this is your problem. I'm just throwing it out there so you can rule it out.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

You aren't streaming or actively using data are you? I was getting frustrated not picking up AT&T LTE when I was in range in my car, and then I remembered I use TuneIn Radio in the car. And I know better. Turn off the streaming, and DING, the LTE indicator on Signal Check Pro chimed.

During active data sessions, your phone won't scan for LTE. It just happily stays connected to what its doing. And it doesn't have to be streaming audio/video. It could be something an app is doing.

I don't necessarily think this is your problem. I'm just throwing it out there so you can rule it out.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry about not replying to your post. It must have got lost in the notifications. Sometimes I am, but almost all of the time I don't have any data in the background going. I even turned the Background App Refresh off and that didn't help. 

• 2 months later...

i have noticed this on my iphone5 also.  From my own troubleshoting and just watching the phone i have noticed that it seems to be both of the issues stated on this forum, i know im back in an LTE area but im still on 3G, after watching the phone for a mintue or 2 it flips to LTE, it seems the phone probably looked for an LTE signal when there was none or the signal was not acceptable and then just had to wait for the time to scan again, hopefully once the fine tuning adjustments are done this wont be an issue.  Also if i am streaming video or music and maintain a good signal, wich now adays 3G seems to always have a great signal it wont look to flip to LTE.

Just my 2 cents.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone else with the iPhone 6 been experiencing this issue? I've talked to Sprint and apparently they are aware of the issue and Apple is working on it, but that's been in that state for several months and this issue has been with me since I had the iPhone 5s. Like you guys are saying its probably just how iOS is and there may never be a fix because it wants to connect to the strongest signal, which is always 3G.

I was thinking that this may be because 800 Mhz LTE isn't deployed in my area and the site spacing is horrible in areas that I go to, but I have went to areas with known 800 Mhz LTE deployed and it still doesn't hand off from 3G to LTE correctly. I normally have to toggle the data on and off to get it to connect to LTE. This is especially annoying when I do any traveling. 

Has anyone else with the iPhone 6 been experiencing this issue? I've talked to Sprint and apparently they are aware of the issue and Apple is working on it, but that's been in that state for several months and this issue has been with me since I had the iPhone 5s. Like you guys are saying its probably just how iOS is and there may never be a fix because it wants to connect to the strongest signal, which is always 3G.

I was thinking that this may be because 800 Mhz LTE isn't deployed in my area and the site spacing is horrible in areas that I go to, but I have went to areas with known 800 Mhz LTE deployed and it still doesn't hand off from 3G to LTE correctly. I normally have to toggle the data on and off to get it to connect to LTE. This is especially annoying when I do any traveling.

I can't say I have the issue with my iPhone 6. It hands off and latches onto LTE at every opportunity, even when I am streaming music on Spotify.

Of course I am in an super mature market with just about every site with B25/26 LTE, and about 1/3 with B41.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I can't say I have the issue with my iPhone 6. It hands off and latches onto LTE at every opportunity, even when I am streaming music on Spotify.

Of course I am in an super mature market with just about every site with B25/26 LTE, and about 1/3 with B41.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe when my area gets populated with b25/26/41 my iPhone will hand off better. 

• 2 months later...

I had the same issue with my 5s switching back and forth from 3g to LTE, i was told upgrades were the issue and switching bands 25 and 26 all the time from apple. Upgraded to the 6 and never had the issue again.

Edited by Flymke1200