Wimax signal seems worse than before...

tyboxer12

Back when I had my S II, I could get a decent signal with wimax in an area. But one day I tried using WImax the signal seemed to be weaker (This area had the best wimax signal too). Can anyone tell me if this means that sprint is making it into a sight with B41 or just upgrading it into a whole new sight?

Thanks!

-tyboxer12

Back when I had my S II, I could get a decent signal with wimax in an area. But one day I tried using WImax the signal seemed to be weaker (This area had the best wimax signal too). Can anyone tell me if this means that sprint is making it into a sight with B41 or just upgrading it into a whole new sight?

Thanks!

-tyboxer12

I don't think the location of the tower is moving. In my small expiriences with WiMax on my Tri-Fi hotspot over the past couple of years has been that the power is being turned down and the allotted spectrum is smaller than before. I believe it now only works in 5 or 10 hrz. If indeed those two factors have occured (are occuring), the strong signal area before will no longer be strong.

Suggestion going forward, upgrade to a triband device. Currently, you can get the SG4 at bestbuy for a $1. crazy. If you upgrade to a triband (or even a dual band iphone 5s/5c), your region has great sprint service.  Tampa is already a Sprint Spark network.  Well good luck.

WiMax will not be completely decommissioned until the end of 2015. However, there will be service impacts until then. A tower decommissioned here, capacity reduced there. Narrowing channels to 5MHz instead of 10MHz. So you may be noticing some of these impacts as WiMax goes into its final days. Grandpa is on life support.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Thanks!

-tyboxer12

Just curious, what were you using to check the signal? Your profile says you have an M8 in addition to the GS2, I would figure you would use the M8 as your daily driver.

Just curious, what were you using to check the signal? Your profile says you have an M8 in addition to the GS2, I would figure you would use the M8 as your daily driver.

The s2 used to be my daily driver, but then I upgraded to the m8 in jun of 14.

Wimax i dont miss those days.  Loving the triband lte!  Night day difference!  Since sprint has lte 800 in my market.  Some areas upgrading to spark also!

I have seen some nice B41 love in Las Vegas and the Bay Area but Orange County is not really big on B41 love if you go south. Wimax has been surprisingly good and I am using it at times on an old Evo that I activated on Freedompop

I am shocked that Robert just has not locked the whole WIMAX forums (even so no one can start a new topic....), its a dead technology and to be honest there not many people who care(other then who its getting decommissioned, which alls we know is 2015), don't hate me but I am just telling the truth!  

I am shocked that Robert just has not locked the whole WIMAX forums (even so no one can start a new topic....), its a dead technology and to be honest there not many people who care(other then who its getting decommissioned, which alls we know is 2015), don't hate me but I am just telling the truth!

No one hates you for saying that, but there are still many using WiMAX devices. I still have Clear for a mobile hotspot for when I'm in Vegas or out and about in Visalia and trying to keep from using my data up.

No one hates you for saying that, but there are still many using WiMAX devices. I still have Clear for a mobile hotspot for when I'm in Vegas or out and about in Visalia and trying to keep from using my data up.

I still have a Wimax device too actually but I never use it lol

didnt sprint convert the wimax antennas into clear b41 antennas?  Because I get very good speeds at a spot that was converted.  I am well aware that these will be gone in 2015 and will eventually become sprint B41 antennas, but Ill take what I can get at the moment.  So its not completely dead yet.  still have a wee bit of life left.  Like Robert explained its like a grandpa on its last life.  I dont remember his exact words, but it was something similar to that.  lol.