lilotimz

How to Spot Sprint Antennas and RRUs (Ericsson)

So these are poor quality images (for now), however I have noticed all NV 8001x and B26LTE + PCS1x + B25LTE look like this..

They all have 1 panel per sector, and this is in the Birmingham, Alabama market. I have noticed these even in "high congestion" area.

So is there any disadvantage to the one panel per sector vs. the other carriers or other Sprint sites with multiple panels on a sector?

Pics are middle setup, and this is an Ericsson market.

post-1797-0-24867700-1436108652_thumb.jpg

post-1797-0-03173900-1436108665_thumb.jpg

post-1797-0-09286900-1436108674_thumb.jpg

lilotimz    10,864

So these are poor quality images (for now), however I have noticed all NV 8001x and B26LTE + PCS1x + B25LTE look like this..

They all have 1 panel per sector, and this is in the Birmingham, Alabama market. I have noticed these even in "high congestion" area.

So is there any disadvantage to the one panel per sector vs. the other carriers or other Sprint sites with multiple panels on a sector?

Pics are middle setup, and this is an Ericsson market.

A typical older Sprint ERC NV setup has 3 RRUS11 + a single hex port antenna (2 sub 1 ghz + 4 1900 mhz ports). One RRUS11 is the B26 while two is B25 CDMA + LTE. A high capacity site adds an additional one or two B25 RRUS11s and combines them via RF combiners. 

Modern Sprint 65 mhz ERC NV setups have 2 RRUS with one being RRUS31 B25s and one being the RRUS11 B26 with high capacity setups adding an additional antenna + PCS RRU. 

A hex port antenna is mostly a cost saving / weight saving measure that efficiently streamlines Sprints network deployments since you don't have to contend with a plethora of different antennas with different technologies taking up space when one antenna per sector can do everythiing that Sprint needs. No need to remove or do extensive engineering if they need to add another antenna as well such as the 2.5 antenna setups. 

• Like 1

jonathanm1978    412

Not sure if it matters, wireless junkie, but this is also a southern Linc market, which may cause Sprint to deploy less hardware than in a market where they have sole band 26. I think SoLinc has 2.5Ghz in 800, but maybe someone can chime in and say for sure. I'd be much happier to see Sprint deploy here than SoLinc hang onto it. It would make the entire southeast much better in Sprint reception.

Not sure if it matters, wireless junkie, but this is also a southern Linc market, which may cause Sprint to deploy less hardware than in a market where they have sole band 26. I think SoLinc has 2.5Ghz in 800, but maybe someone can chime in and say for sure. I'd be much happier to see Sprint deploy here than SoLinc hang onto it. It would make the entire southeast much better in Sprint reception.

Shockingly we recently had B26 5+5Mhz LTE and SMR 800Mhz 1x activated on almost every site throughout the Birmingham market all the way through Talladega!!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

479f063d99e8fbc825f7fb85184c2f60.jpg

Hoover, Alabama area

My iPhone 6 stays on B26 most of the time in lower signal where my previous non B26 phone had weak signal!!

anthony.spina97    1,591

I'm sorry, what?

Shockingly we recently had B26 5+5Mhz LTE and SMR 800Mhz 1x activated on almost every site throughout the Birmingham market all the way through Talladega!!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Just for future reference, it's 5x5 MHz, not 5+5. Having a plus is for aggregated spectrum, where-as having an x is for paired spectrum.

-Anthony

I'm sorry, what?

Just for future reference, it's 5x5 MHz, not 5+5. Having a plus is for aggregated spectrum, where-as having an x is for paired spectrum.

-Anthony

I know, but I'm just going by my mathematics haha. 5x5 would be 25 so I just like referring to it as 5+5 myself.

lilotimz    10,864

I know, but I'm just going by my mathematics haha. 5x5 would be 25 so I just like referring to it as 5+5 myself.

Heh but here we typically denotes n+n for TDD carrier aggregation. It's a little confusing for members and lurkers so we've pretty much standardized into nXn for FDD denominations and n+n for TDD.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

A typical older Sprint ERC NV setup has 3 RRUS11 + a single hex port antenna (2 sub 1 ghz + 4 1900 mhz ports). One RRUS11 is the B26 while two is B25 CDMA + LTE. A high capacity site adds an additional one or two B25 RRUS11s and combines them via RF combiners. 

Modern Sprint 65 mhz ERC NV setups have 2 RRUS with one being RRUS31 B25s and one being the RRUS11 B26 with high capacity setups adding an additional antenna + PCS RRU. 

A hex port antenna is mostly a cost saving / weight saving measure that efficiently streamlines Sprints network deployments since you don't have to contend with a plethora of different antennas with different technologies taking up space when one antenna per sector can do everythiing that Sprint needs. No need to remove or do extensive engineering if they need to add another antenna as well such as the 2.5 antenna setups. 

Ok thank you, that's great information. Does a single panel provide as much coverage/range as multiple antenna's?

Lastly, how much less capacity does a single panel site provide vs. 2?

lilotimz    10,864

Ok thank you, that's great information. Does a single panel provide as much coverage/range as multiple antenna's?

Lastly, how much less capacity does a single panel site provide vs. 2?

This isn't a whole lot of difference between most antenna panels these days like the hex ports or quad port multi band ones that everyone uses as they're mostly agnostic. Radios matter a lot more but most vendors have pretty similar performance and capacity capability with the major exception being Sprints custom made 8T8R antenna and radios. 

Capacity is less because they run the radios in dual mode operations ( CDMA + LTE) which limits the radio to 2 FDD-LTE carriers and about 4-6 CDMA carriers. Running in single mode though enables a ton more capacity like 10+ CDMA carriers or 4 FDD-LTE carriers. 

david279    464

High capacity setup in new Orleans

currently being deployed all over N.O.L.A.

Edited by david279

david279    464

Pics

2b130f2b3d2576528992ef00d140a8f7.jpg

804b7b9016d2152242bcb7653e8635a1.jpg

ab9b6331bad74861d41b1926242191df.jpg

744ab6887c44a33a240f94a6eb56a237.jpg

9e42cfcc26b24a2d9f90cda32511a852.jpg

599180b2fdd840cb82df8d6a719bc4d1.jpg

54fce7a75efd38c27e96c33d20818aab.jpg

• Like 1

JWMaloney    769

Tim, any info on the Ericsson RRUS 82 B41 that is starting to be deployed in place of the Nokia FZHJ?

lilotimz    10,864

Tim, any info on the Ericsson RRUS 82 B41 that is starting to be deployed in place of the Nokia FZHJ?

Si. I can drag out the info later.

Basically looks like a rrus 32 externally.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

lilotimz    10,864

Designed 2 years ago. 

8x20w as typical. 60 MHz per port limitation. 

xagIwed.png

0nzRQ95.png

AJInpDf.png

Also the FZHJ has been succeeded by the FZHN, 

• Like 1

RAvirani    755

Designed 2 years ago.

8x20w as typical. 60 MHz per port limitation.

Also the FZHJ has been succeeded by the FZHN,

How do they compare performance wise?