Sprint: 800 MHz rebanding project nearing completion

Rawvega

I'm pretty sure Sprint cannot deploy B26 in Pahrump either.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I was afraid you would say that. :(

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

• 8 months later...

Any update on the San Bernardino situation?   Last I heard they will be done with the switch over by May 2015. 

Where did you hear about May 2015?  I thought it wasn't until later on in the year.

In the map, why only Washington marked as border region for Canadian border?

I'm pretty sure that's a map of states who have not completed rebranding of 800 MHz.  The new quarterly report on 800ta.org came out in March, so you could at least find some more current information as of 12/31/2014.  There are many progress maps in the report that can probably give you a better idea of progress than what is in the first post of this thread.  Ohio is indicated as being rebranded, but I saw there was a holdout on one of the counties (Public Service) near Toledo who had an extension until 3/31/2015.  I would love to get my hands on documentation of the Canadian side rebranding of 800MHz.  At least you folks in CA have a glimpse of what the heck is holding things up...I haven't found anyone around here who has any idea as to why IBEZ area are still...well IBEZed .  It would seem kind of ridiculous (but not out of the realm of possibility) if Washington was holding up the entire border area all the way to the Atlantic, so I would imagine that things in Canada are further behind than in the US.

I went through some of the Industry Canada database for SW Ontario SMR licensees about 6 months ago and there seemed to be indication that the government had been in the progress of clearing space at the lower chunk of 800 (as in not issuing or renewing any licenses in that chunk spectrum for the last couple years), but it was a tremendous pain to find any kind of pattern.

I'm pretty sure that's a map of states who have not completed rebranding of 800 MHz.  The new quarterly report on 800ta.org came out in March, so you could at least find some more current information as of 12/31/2014.  There are many progress maps in the report that can probably give you a better idea of progress than what is in the first post of this thread.  Ohio is indicated as being rebranded, but I saw there was a holdout on one of the counties (Public Service) near Toledo who had an extension until 3/31/2015.  I would love to get my hands on documentation of the Canadian side rebranding of 800MHz.  At least you folks in CA have a glimpse of what the heck is holding things up...I haven't found anyone around here who has any idea as to why IBEZ area are still...well IBEZed .  It would seem kind of ridiculous (but not out of the realm of possibility) if Washington was holding up the entire border area all the way to the Atlantic, so I would imagine that things in Canada are further behind than in the US.

I went through some of the Industry Canada database for SW Ontario SMR licensees about 6 months ago and there seemed to be indication that the government had been in the progress of clearing space at the lower chunk of 800 (as in not issuing or renewing any licenses in that chunk spectrum for the last couple years), but it was a tremendous pain to find any kind of pattern.

Maybe that's why there is zero B26 in Washington State but there are plenty just across the broder into Oregon.

Where did you hear about May 2015?  I thought it wasn't until later on in the year.

Well, June 2015 completion date as of June 2014. 

"estimated one year post approval of this amendment, June 17, 2015."

http://cob-sire.sbcounty.gov/sirepub/agdocs.aspx?doctype=minutes&itemid=230670

• Like 1

Well, June 2015 completion date as of June 2014. 

"estimated one year post approval of this amendment, June 17, 2015."

http://cob-sire.sbcounty.gov/sirepub/agdocs.aspx?doctype=minutes&itemid=230670

Well lets hope they stick to the June 2015 time frame.  Its been lonnnggggg overdue.  Too many areas are being affected by the SB county PS issue.

For the San Diego region, this is from the February minutes of the Regional Communications System meeting which is the 800 MHz system in use in San Diego and Imperial counties.

7.2Imperial County - Director Green reported there is nothing new to report.800 MHz Rebanding Update - Mr. Root reported there is still no word from the FCC and the Transition Administrator on when the new frequencies will be cleared in Mexico. He added there is the approval to go ahead with programming of the subscriber radios. Staff has been working with the City of San Diego and the operators of other trunked systems which are in some user's radios to build the new radio programs. Mr. Root anticipates programming will start around the first of April 2015.

• Like 1

For the San Diego region, this is from the February minutes of the Regional Communications System meeting which is the 800 MHz system in use in San Diego and Imperial counties.

7.2Imperial County - Director Green reported there is nothing new to report.800 MHz Rebanding Update - Mr. Root reported there is still no word from the FCC and the Transition Administrator on when the new frequencies will be cleared in Mexico. He added there is the approval to go ahead with programming of the subscriber radios. Staff has been working with the City of San Diego and the operators of other trunked systems which are in some user's radios to build the new radio programs. Mr. Root anticipates programming will start around the first of April 2015.

Sprint is now deploying 800 mhz equipment in the San Diego / Southern CA region in the IBEZ in anticipation of Mexican holders clearing out enough spectrum for a 1x800 in the immediate future. LTE 800 is far off though (into 2016). 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Sprint is now deploying 800 mhz equipment in the San Diego / Southern CA region in the IBEZ in anticipation of Mexican holders clearing out enough spectrum for a 1x800 in the immediate future. LTE 800 is far off though (into 2016). 

Do you happen to know if Sprint is also deploying 800 MHz equipment in the OC region in anticipation of the SB county rebanding effort of finishing.  I think Sprint should be doing this effort concurrently to ensure the 800 MHz network for 1x and LTE is as quick as possible.  Thus far I haven't seen Sprint deploy 800 MHz equipment in any of their OC county NV sites.

Is it only the south where the rebanding needs done?

Northern and southern borders and where any other public safety agency has not yet completed the 800 re-tune.

• Like 1

http://blog.npstc.org/2015/04/04/sprint-reports-border-rebanding-progress/

Sprint Reports Border Rebanding Progress

Sprint Corp. said that the company and incumbent 800 megahertz band licensees in the U.S.-Mexico border region have signed 121 frequency reconfiguration agreements and 38 short-form letter agreements, for a total of a 97% signed rate. The carrier also said that 28 retunes have been completed, or a 27% rate, as part of realignment. Sprint submitted an 800 MHz rebanding report yesterday in WT docket 02-55.

Courtesy TRDaily

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Finally see some B26 in WA.

Only in the east so far - out in Western Washington things are about to ramp up though. Met with my regional VP in person yesterday and although I cannot share details (I gave him my word) I can say that there are a lot of new macros, small cells and 800mhz on the way for Western Washington!

• Like 5

Only in the east so far - out in Western Washington things are about to ramp up though. Met with my regional VP in person yesterday and although I cannot share details (I gave him my word) I can say that there are a lot of new macros, small cells and 800mhz on the way for Western Washington!

What do you think these managers and VP's think when an S4GRU member contacts them, happy to speak to an enthusiastic customer or weirded out by an enthusiastic customer?

What do you think these managers and VP's think when an S4GRU member contacts them, happy to speak to an enthusiastic customer or weirded out by an enthusiastic customer?

Not sure - we exchanged a few really geeky emails and then he invited me in to meet for an hour or so.  Great guy and great experience.  

• Like 1

Not sure - we exchanged a few really geeky emails and then he invited me in to meet for an hour or so.  Great guy and great experience.  

Can you say who it is? If not I understand.

I've seen some construction work being done around here but unsure if it's for Sprint :fingers: 

Can you say who it is? If not I understand.

I've seen some construction work being done around here but unsure if it's for Sprint :fingers:

I would, but I gave him my word that I would keep everything discussed in the meeting confidential. If you want to get in touch with someone of importance, though, email Gunther. He will have someone of importance reply to your email. Make sure to include all kinds of geeky details and location.

• Like 2

What about Arizona? I'm dying over here???!!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Arizona has a long way to go so does Southern California.  800 MHz LTE and CDMA seems like a pipe dream at this point.

• Like 1