iPhone 6 omnibus thread

sbolen

iphone-6-all-2.jpg

Above: a mockup of an iPhone 5S, iPhone 6 (4.7"), iPhone 6 (5.5"), and Current iPad Mini

All aboard the leaked parts rumor train! Here's a thread to post what you find/what's leaked, etc. As more details come forward closer to launch, I'll edit/update this post with the relevant information and link it to replies to this topic.

I think it would be a lot easier to contain everything relating to the new iPhone 6 ("iPhone Air"?) in one central location. B)

iPhone 6 Omnibus Thread Topics

• Like 3

There were early rumors of only the larger 5.5" iPhone 6 model getting a sapphire crystal display... but a wild video appears:

If the 4.7" iPhone 6 has a Sapphire display, I'm selling my iPhone 5S outright to get one shortly after launch. I love the sapphire crystal domes on my nicer watches, so I'm really pumped to see what it looks like on top of a retina display.

• Like 3

Never having to worry about a cracked screen.... That would be amazing. I would consider selling my 5s and getting the 6 if it does have a sapphire crystal screen. And if I can't afford it, I'll just be very upset each day I can't afford it until February lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never having to worry about a cracked screen.... That would be amazing. I would consider selling my 5s and getting the 6 if it does have a sapphire crystal screen. And if I can't afford it, I'll just be very upset each day I can't afford it until February lol.

It's the scratches that are killing me. I have one from a rivet on my jeans in the top third of the display that drives me slowly insane. I have AppleCare+ on the phone, so I may swallow the $50 closer to the launch of the new phones to boost my trade in/resale value.

February :(. I might do easy pay for this phone if it proves worth it. I don't want too. But I also can't buy a phone full retail right now. AGH

February :(. I might do easy pay for this phone if it proves worth it. I don't want too. But I also can't buy a phone full retail right now. AGH

That's why I always have two newer phones. To use one while I'm selling the other to pay for the next device. :)
  • Like 2

That's why I always have two newer phones. To use one while I'm selling the other to pay for the next device. :)

The Robert M. Herron Museum of Modern Cellphones cannot comprehend phone sales.  You are giving up technological works of art.

AJ

• Like 5

I usually finance the full retail price every other year on a Barclaycard Apple 0% financing option - last year I sold my iPhone 4S outright and paid the difference on the carrier subsidy price (to net the 64GB size).

This year, it's full retail (financed), and a lump payment to Barclaycard once I sell the 5S. Split over 12 months with that actual trade-in/Craigslist/eBay cash, it's still not that bad.

My wife hates it. Lol

• Like 1

But what about the band support?

*Sits back, watches flame war erupt*

I could probably guarantee Band 41 support, but probably not carrier aggregation. We'll leave that to the Android devices so that I'm envious of them for yet another year...  <_<

-Anthony

• Like 3

I could probably guarantee Band 41 support, but probably not carrier aggregation. We'll leave that to the Android devices so that I'm envious of them for yet another year... <_<

-Anthony

I'm betting on both. One thing Apple excels at is LTE band support, and I can definitely see them implementing CA. The technology is available.

MDM 9x35 chipset it is a Category 6 part capable of 300 Mbps on the downlink and 50 Mbps on uplink. Getting to 300 Mbps of downstream throughput requires aggregation of two 20 MHz wide LTE carriers. If Apple uses this part and it is widely available, then it  will be capable of CA. If not, then not, I guess not...

I'm betting on both. One thing Apple excels at is LTE band support, and I can definitely see them implementing CA. The technology is available.

I'll take that bet on CA. Band 41 was available when the iPhone 5s was released and well.....

http://tktechnewsblog.wordpress.com/2014/07/08/exclusive-first-images-of-iwatch-prototype-designer-emerge-with-display-on/

Someone is trying to make a name for himself this year.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

Dead link. And what was that picture taken with? A potato?

Dead link. And what was that picture taken with? A potato?

He took it down between the time I posted it and now. I knew he was going overboard.

He took it down between the time I posted it and now. I knew he was going overboard.

I take anything he says with a semi truckload full of salt. He hates sprint. I once commented on his video about the 5% throttling and he argued with me and told me it was all customers that would be throttled whenever sprint wants too because sprint's network sucks. If he is trying to make something of himself, he's doing a really bad job at it. Providing unconvincing false information. Uh what.

There are so many rumors out there, it is hard to know what is truth and what is not.  A couple of thoughts:

All three bands being supported, I would have to say yes.  Apple would shoot themselves in the foot if the iPhone 6 did not support all three.  There are so many people awaiting the release. Samsung's sales are poor right now for the S5 due to people waiting for the release of the next iPhone.  If the i6 is a home run, Samsung will lose a fair amount of market share.

I will say that I am going to purchase the 5.5" 6 due to the amount of documents I have to read through for work.  I also hope that if the rumor of the larger i6 having128GB of memory is true also.

Someone is trying to make a name for himself this year.

He also posted this gem: http://tktechnewsblog.wordpress.com/2014/07/08/sprint-bends-customers-over-again-welcome-to-tiered-data-plans/

Speculate much? Lol

MDM 9x35 chipset it is a Category 6 part capable of 300 Mbps on the downlink and 50 Mbps on uplink. Getting to 300 Mbps of downstream throughput requires aggregation of two 20 MHz wide LTE carriers. If Apple uses this part and it is widely available, then it  will be capable of CA. If not, then not, I guess not...

I'll take that bet on CA. Band 41 was available when the iPhone 5s was released and well.....

I will take that bet.  iPhone 6 will support carrier aggregation -- for AT&T, not for Sprint.

iPhone 6 was certainly in development, maybe even in production, before the category 6 MDM9635 became widely available.  So, like last year when Apple used the category 3 MDM9615 for the second year in a row, it will be about a year behind the curve on the latest baseband, going with the category 4 MDM9625 this year.  That will limit LTE bandwidth to a maximum of 20 MHz FDD/TDD.  Carrier aggregation will be possible only in combinations that sum to 20 MHz FDD/TDD or less -- such as the band 17 + band 4 configuration that AT&T is using in Chicago, etc.

AJ

• Like 5

I will take that bet.  iPhone 6 will support carrier aggregation -- for AT&T, not for Sprint.

iPhone 6 was certainly in development, maybe even in production, before the category 6 MDM9635 became widely available.  So, like last year when Apple used the category 3 MDM9615 for the second year in a row, it will be about a year behind the curve on the latest baseband, going with the category 4 MDM9625 this year.  That will limit LTE bandwidth to a maximum of 20 MHz FDD/TDD.  Carrier aggregation will be possible only in combinations that sum to 20 MHz FDD/TDD or less -- such as the band 17 + band 4 configuration that AT&T is using in Chicago, etc.

AJ

You might be right, AJ. We will see. But 9635 samples have been floating around since last year. Now, can they produce enough for Apple's needs? Who are the target carriers? Does China Mobile, Softbank and Sprint add up to enough iPhones for Apple to place a large enough order for 9635s? Or does everybody get 9625s? None of the other US carriers need a 20+20 CA except Sprint.

I can see Apple segregating the two versions with the 4.7" getting the 9625 and the 5.5" getting the 9635. Same segmentation strategy as the S5 Prime and the One M8 Prime. Here is a discussion of the S5 Prime:

http://www.zdnet.com/samsung-galaxy-s5-prime-to-support-225-mbps-download-7000029652/

BTW, the 9635 was released last November. The iPhones usually go into production couple of months before introduction. 

Video is not playing anymore. Maybe apple had it removed because it's a legit leak.

I wouldn't hold it past Apple.

• Like 1