Chicago NV Issues?

bigzeto

Sounds like its an isolated incident. I am not surprised if folks that live in certain areas for Network Vision are experiencing some slight problems. I believe he was having problems with an airave version 1 and it was a known issue it has problems with the Photon. The airave version 2 seems to have fixed the problem. I wouldn't worry about too much. If there was a massive outage, I am sure it would have made the news.

Network Vision is not being tested anywhere except for G Block. There is signficiant drive testing that occurs before they finally convert a site off legacy and onto NV. We have also had many members visit sites in Chicago, Boston, Central Jersey and DFW and none have complained of these issues. This doesn't make sense from how NV is being deployed. You would need to have a modified PRL to be experiencing the issues described.

Also, someone should probably tell that guy over in the HoFo thread who was complaining about not seeing a map of completed sites that we have one posted here for sponsor members. :)

Robert

• Like 3

I found this on the Sprint forums which may give reasoning:

"As of 03/25/2012, we have began Network Vision upgrades to various cell towers that service the Chicago Market. During this transition, customers will experience temporary impairments causing increased Drops and Blocks may occur unfortunately. The current ETR listed for completion is June. Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available.

Markie_B"

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/407197#407197

Sprint has let us know that wherever they are messing with NV, there are going to be dropped/blocked calls. They have updated out Network Event Board tool to show a "ticket" on any tower with NV work being done so that we can tell the customer the expected time it should be over and service normalized. Total time per tower seems to be 3 to 5 days.

• Like 2

I can see why at turnover from legacy to NV, people would definitely get dropped calls and data connections. But only at one time. However, that could feel like it is all over the city when it is one tower here, then another tower there. Repeating itself over a thousand times for each tower in the market.

Also, the Chicago market will not be anywhere near done in June. So they are going to have to extend that deadline much farther out.

Robert

But the big question Dino, is it happening at places we have identified as NV sites?

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

I might be having the same problem in Los Angeles. I began dropping calls on my drive home on the 110 north before hitting the 5 north. I just check the updated map and noted the site near there was upgraded to NV. It may be coincidence, but I have never had a problem in the past 2.5 years.

• Like 1

I have confirmed it is the NV conversion that is causing major headaches from Chicago west. I suspect we will see lots more issues as other towns convert.

However, I suspect it will be just the 3G NV radios that cause the issues now. I know they have lit up 4G NV towers here with no 3G NV radios and we have no problems. I can check Chicago tomorrow again, but I do believe they are firing up 3G towers.

Robert, can you confirm?

• Like 1

Sprint has let us know that wherever they are messing with NV, there are going to be dropped/blocked calls. They have updated out Network Event Board tool to show a "ticket" on any tower with NV work being done so that we can tell the customer the expected time it should be over and service normalized. Total time per tower seems to be 3 to 5 days.

That is interesting. We had a five day period about two weeks ago when everybody I knew in the area with sprint, including me were dropping calls like crazy.

I have confirmed it is the NV conversion that is causing major headaches from Chicago west. I suspect we will see lots more issues as other towns convert.

However' date=' I suspect it will be just the 3G NV radios that cause the issues now. I know they have lit up 4G NV towers here with no 3G NV radios and we have no problems. I can check Chicago tomorrow again, but I do believe they are firing up 3G towers.

Robert, can you confirm?[/quote']

I think you're right. It only seems to be in markets where 3G NV sites have gone live and not in the markets where only 4G LTE has gone live. They are rapidly firing up on Chicago. And the I-110 corridor in LA too. Sounds like NV 3G deployment is the culprit. I will keep my eyes open to see if I come across specifics about what is at play.

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

I think you're right. It only seems to be in markets where 3G NV sites have gone live and not in the markets where only 4G LTE has gone live. They are rapidly firing up on Chicago. And the I-110 corridor in LA too. Sounds like NV 3G deployment is the culprit. I will keep my eyes open to see if I come across specifics about what is at play.

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

I've seen some engineers working on towers in Downtown L.A. while heading home from Santa Monica today.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Edited by UndeadNexus

Illinois was one of the areas with horrible capacity issues, wasn't it? Maybe Sprint is cutting over 3G towers as they go to alleviate the issue and will go live with 4G LTE later.

Illinois was one of the areas with horrible capacity issues' date=' wasn't it? Maybe Sprint is cutting over 3G towers as they go to alleviate the issue and will go live with 4G LTE later.[/quote']

Chicago is a spectrum constrained market. Yes.

Chicago is a spectrum constrained market. Yes.

Found some info.

"High block/drop rates: During the migration to Network Vision those customers on the boundary between NV sites and legacy sites will experience a higher than normal block/drop rate. The rate will continue until the boundaries are reduced by the introduction of additional NV sites."

• Like 1

Found some info.

"High block/drop rates: During the migration to Network Vision those customers on the boundary between NV sites and legacy sites will experience a higher than normal block/drop rate. The rate will continue until the boundaries are reduced by the introduction of additional NV sites."

Excellent info. Thanks for a little background. For people outside S4GRU, they must be really confused in Chicago. Because Chicago is not even an announced market by Sprint.

Here are some more stats for Chicago market:

Capacity upgrades:

91 to 180 days ago = 298

Last 90 days = 59

Next 90 days = 382

91 to 180 days = 498

Seems like a strategy change in there or something. They slowed waaay down and are now screaming.

Found some info.

i wonder why.

We had quiet a few issues on the west side of Elgin, IL. From 3G signal not seeing that strong to calls dropping. I suspected Sprint was upgrading cell towers but i've had no way to confirm. Is there any way to confirm without special equipment?