2014 WWDC Keynote Updates

sbolen

a4Kb1rP.png

As of this posting, we're 22 hours, 10 minutes away from the WWDC keynote.

Here's a thread to talk about all the rumors leading up to the keynote, and then talk about the stuff they actually announce (which will probably be pretty disappointing to Wall Street and Blogs that were hoping for new hardware announcements).

• Like 4

I have a few developer friends who are attending this year. Once again, I'm pretty jealous that they were able to score tickets and I'm stuck in meetings all day.

I have a few developer friends who are attending this year. Once again, I'm pretty jealous that they were able to score tickets and I'm stuck in meetings all day.

http://www.vocabulary.com/articles/chooseyourwords/envy-jealousy/

AJ

Potato, potato! :-)

feeling or showing envy of someone or their achievements and advantages.

"he grew jealous of her success"

synonyms: envious, covetous, desirous;

antonyms: proud, admiring

I don't think it'll happen. More like September.

Well anything can happen Steve Jobs is gone. Apple has been doing things differently lately. Buying beats audio, making an iPhone with a bigger screen, making an iPad mini. Releasing a phone faster than usual wouldn't surprise me. Especially with Samsung eating into their market share.

• Like 1

Either way, I'm excited to [more than likely] meet my next operating system tomorrow. I've been using android flagships to take advantage of the band 41 in Chicago because 25 is so slammed, but with a second pcs carrier and band 26 rocking and rolling here, I feel I'll be able to finally get back to my iOS roots.

• Like 2

Either way, I'm excited to [more than likely] meet my next operating system tomorrow. I've been using android flagships to take advantage of the band 41 in Chicago because 25 is so slammed, but with a second pcs carrier and band 26 rocking and rolling here, I feel I'll be able to finally get back to my iOS roots.

Yeah, that is exciting.  Who knows, maybe you will even start dating your new OS...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzAHZLRdIgE

AJ

• Like 3

My bet is that Apple won't announce any new flagship hardware tomorrow. You'll hear about home automation, health book, iBeacons, Beats/Dr. Dre/Jimmy Iovine, Mac OS 10.10, iOS 8, updated Maps, updated Siri... I highly doubt that Apple is going to dump all of the cool hardware crap into one keynote, when they can stretch things out and get free coverage closer to the actual launch of the new iPads and iPhones.

This is the developer conference, after all...

The new iPad/iPhone announcement will likely happen in a different event, where they can use their reality distortion field to manipulate media attention well after their 7-for-1 stock split and goose those shares up a little.  :)

All that said, it seems like there are a lot of announcements to make, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple TV make an appearance as a refreshed hardware unit, maybe some other minor hardware updates, too... but nothing flagship like an iPhone or iPad.

(I really want an upgraded Mac Mini - but they'll probably just spec bump that without any fanfare at all)

I am in the same thought as sbolen.  History would tell us that it will be a September launch of the new iPhone.  There was an article floating around about a German telecom company is telling thier subscribers that they will have the new iPhones on 9/19.  It would be par for the course.  I believe the bigget issue is that Apple needs to build inventory before the release.  It would not be good business sense to release the phone and have a two month backorder to get the phone.  That would not vote well with consumer confidence (or patience).

I am hoping for a nice update for iOS 8. I have never been very satisfied with iOS 7,it just doesn't feel right to me. I also get a lot of random freezes when switching safari tabs or logging into https sites. Also, the lack of some sort of up/down/left/right arrows for the keyboard drives me crazy. I'd love a "dark" theme as well. The new mail app and keyboard are so bright to me. I'd use the Galaxy tab more often but unfortunately it is slow, has a crappy screen and terrible battery life, so the iPad is pretty much what I use at home more often than not.

I believe the bigget issue is that Apple needs to build inventory before the release.

Break in to Foxconn prison, and you could probably snag a new iPhone right now.

AJ

• Like 1

Anyone think anything is going to be announced pertaining to Macbooks at all. I'm planning on picking one up before I head to college.

Apple just spec-bumped the MacBook Air & dropped the price. That's a pretty safe buy if you like battery life and portability...

• Like 1

Gruber has a great post up with his pre-WWDC predictions. I've been a Daring Fireball reader since the early days of blogging, and Gruber's opinion is pretty highly regarded among Apple circles. Dude's got contacts... 

His take on new hardware:

I expect no new iPhones, no new iPads, and no all-new devices like watches or wristbands or whatever wearables we’re imagining. WWDC is a developer conference first, a platform for new hardware introductions only when convenient for Apple.
  • Like 1

Gruber has a great post up with his pre-WWDC predictions. I've been a Daring Fireball reader since the early days of blogging, and Gruber's opinion is pretty highly regarded among Apple circles. Dude's got contacts... 

His take on new hardware:

Everything in that sounds plausible. I saw some "leaks" of the osx. I never trust leaks, ever, but the one I saw looks the most convincing. I am going to agree with everyone and assume there will be no new iPhone...but then again, there could be. I really don't know. I guess we will find out in a few hours. 

I particularly liked the we've got your iOS device covered. I hate managing my storage on iCloud so I don't go over. Since I back up to iCloud over my computer, I would prefer not to have to nit and pick my pictures...and I really don't want to pay more for extra storage. That is why I have a computer to store the remaining 10gb of my photos and videos.

• Like 1

I particularly liked the we've got your iOS device covered. I hate managing my storage on iCloud so I don't go over. Since I back up to iCloud over my computer, I would prefer not to have to nit and pick my pictures...and I really don't want to pay more for extra storage. That is why I have a computer to store the remaining 10gb of my photos and videos.

I would hope that if you're buying a $700 phone, they can float you more than 5GB of free storage. I had to buy an extra 10GB because I back up my iPhone 5S and my iPad Air, and I use iWork all the time for Keynote Presentations I give at work. I bloat those up with lots of images and what-nottery, so they'll average 40-80MB each.

Managing that stuff is a pain!

• Like 1

Hoping that they also update iMacs and/or Mac mini today so I can replace my seven year old iMac. They won't update the iPhone because developers haven't updated their apps for iOS8 yet.

Also hoping for Mac OS X Siri support and icon change support on iOS.

I would hope that if you're buying a $700 phone, they can float you more than 5GB of free storage. I had to buy an extra 10GB because I back up my iPhone 5S and my iPad Air, and I use iWork all the time for Keynote Presentations I give at work. I bloat those up with lots of images and what-nottery, so they'll average 40-80MB each.

Managing that stuff is a pain!

Agreed. This is definitely something they need to work on big time. and 5gb...Come on. At least offer to the capacity of the phone at 12 gb or whatever the 16gb phone has left over.

I would but I may be caught and chained to the assembly line.

Instead of build your own pizza, just think of it as assemble your own iPhone.

AJ

• Like 3

Hoping that they also update iMacs and/or Mac mini today so I can replace my seven year old iMac. They won't update the iPhone because developers haven't updated their apps for iOS8 yet.

Also hoping for Mac OS X Siri support and icon change support on iOS.

I want an upgraded Mac Mini pretty badly - even if it's just a spec bump, I'd be happy to rip out the HD and swap in a SSD. I can roll my own 30" IPS display from Monoprice and have a pretty sweet Web & iOS dev box.

• Like 1