Google to give Nexus the boot?

I'm excited to see the new silver line and how it is different but....

1. Wish it was coming sooner than spring next year

2. I like the Nexus name a lot more than silver

What's up with all these dim-witted douches trashing Sprint?  I mean, where do you not get Sprint coverage?  I grew up in Central Kentucky, had friends in the hills of Eastern Kentucky, visited family here in Atlanta and in Los Angeles and everywhere in between (small towns and huge cities) and have never had an issue with at least getting voice coverage. I've had Sprint since I graduated high school in 1998 and have only had to roam on Verizon a few select times.  I know that Sprint doesn't have the coverage that ATT and Verizon have - especially out west.  But here in the South, Sprint's coverage is excellent (at least as far as native voice goes and even native data).  Why are people so hell bent on bashing Sprint?  ...do as the other mindless lemmings do, I suppose??

• Like 4

What's up with all these dim-witted douches trashing Sprint? I mean, where do you not get Sprint coverage? I grew up in Central Kentucky, had friends in the hills of Eastern Kentucky, visited family here in Atlanta and in Los Angeles and everywhere in between (small towns and huge cities) and have never had an issue with at least getting voice coverage. I've had Sprint since I graduated high school in 1998 and have only had to roam on Verizon a few select times. I know that Sprint doesn't have the coverage that ATT and Verizon have - especially out west. But here in the South, Sprint's coverage is excellent (at least as far as native voice goes and even native data). Why are people so hell bent on bashing Sprint? ...do as the other mindless lemmings do, I suppose??

I agree. The fact is that people are just ignorant to what we know about Sprint. Let's be real Sprint has suffered some rough times and this is the bad rep it got from the general public and people can be very cruel but that's why we have this site. These forums have enlightened us to believe in the future of Sprint and that's what gives us a one up on the rest of the crowd. We are privileged to have such knowledge and some day Sprint's reputation will turn around and we will be saying "I told you so" lol.

Sorry for getting all spiritual lol. But all these rumors make me wonder where the future of mobile might be going. If silver is headed for Sprint, could it be a carrier only device? And if so, wouldn't that be against the original nexus principles of being open source and unlocked? But the fact that that we have been waiting so long for this update kinda makes me feel different about the nexus program. Maybe if nexus phones we're carrier specific we would not be in this situation. I love stock android and hate bloatware but I did wish Sprint had more control over my N5 radios are doing and not Google. Google is not prioritizing us Sprint customers. I guess we can't have it all or maybe we will with Silver.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This contradicts @evleaks reports. I guess we wait and see. http://www.xda-developers.com/android/nexus-6-and-8-names-appear-in-chromium-code-review/

I wouldn't put too much faith in that. The developers could just be trolling.

I wouldn't put too much faith in that. The developers could just be trolling.

And @evleaks is always right?

All other things being equal, I'd be willing to upgrade for svlte, but I suspect that will also be missing from the Snapdragon 810. Haven't been able to find info saying either way, though.

Saw an article talking about ditching nexus and creating silver devices. They say it wont happen until feb and we wont get a nexus 6 in november. :( Of course its just rumors right now though..

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/05/17/android-silver-launching-february-2015/

Yesterday we got a report corroborating rumors that Google was planning to ditch its Nexus line in favor of a new Android Silver program. Today, Evleaks is back to say we shouldn’t expect Google’s bold new initiative to kick off until February of next year at the earliest. Well that’s a huge bummer. 

All other things being equal, I'd be willing to upgrade for svlte, but I suspect that will also be missing from the Snapdragon 810. Haven't been able to find info saying either way, though.

Haven't missed SVLTE greatly but it would be nice to avoid the occasional eCSFB issues. Especially on the B41 and B26 sites.

• Like 1

And @evleaks is always right?

I don't trust him despite his track record.

SVLTE is never coming back. With the move to VoLTE it will not be necessary.

Let's for a second just assume he's right.  I laugh when I look at the Twitter comments because of all the Sprint bashing because a.)  It's not nearly as bad as people say, and b.) It says expected for Sprint, not EXCLUSIVE, which is the bandwagon so many have jumped on.  When I read it, I assumed it meant Sprint also, as it would be no surprise at all that it's on ATT/TMob.  I assumed it was just way of showing that like the N5, Sprint was included, and that Verizon isn't.

I agree. The fact is that people are just ignorant to what we know about Sprint. Let's be real Sprint has suffered some rough times and this is the bad rep it got from the general public and people can be very cruel but that's why we have this site. These forums have enlightened us to believe in the future of Sprint and that's what gives us a one up on the rest of the crowd. We are privileged to have such knowledge and some day Sprint's reputation will turn around and we will be saying "I told you so" lol.

Sorry for getting all spiritual lol. But all these rumors make me wonder where the future of mobile might be going. If silver is headed for Sprint, could it be a carrier only device? And if so, wouldn't that be against the original nexus principles of being open source and unlocked? But the fact that that we have been waiting so long for this update kinda makes me feel different about the nexus program. Maybe if nexus phones we're carrier specific we would not be in this situation. I love stock android and hate bloatware but I did wish Sprint had more control over my N5 radios are doing and not Google. Google is not prioritizing us Sprint customers. I guess we can't have it all or maybe we will with Silver.

Yeah I'm not sure how I feel about Android Silver yet.  I think it will probably be a good thing but I will miss the Nexus brand once it goes away and its affordable pricing structure.  

And, just to be clear, when I was talking about "coverage" I meant just at least 1xRTT. Not EVDO, not LTE.  Just at least coverage at all for phone calls and texts as that's what was referenced in the article.  

As much as I'd like a CDMA-free world, when I hike in the netherlands (not the country) VZW does seem to provide a nice backstop on CDMA.

• 2 weeks later...

That article is terrible. All evleaks said is there won't be a nexus 6... Which means It will simply be called something else.

more than likely nexus 5 second gen