Google Hangouts w/Voice (Was Google Voice)

COZisBack

Sending a pic over mms didn't work. Sprintegrated. Now I'm getting double notifications now too. One from gv and one from messenger. No option to turn off notifications in the app. In the old app you can choose gv notifications or default messaging app notifications. Now I get both.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Could you provide a link? I haven't seen that yet.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1207070?visit_id=1-636207922354151081-996609837&hl=en&rd=1#faq

It sounds like you have to upgrade to a full account to have the new features which isn't available with Sprint integration.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/5pqkun/bye_bye_google_voice_integration_for_new_users/

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1207070?visit_id=1-636207922354151081-996609837&hl=en&rd=1#faq

It sounds like you have to upgrade to a full account to have the new features which isn't available with Sprint integration.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/5pqkun/bye_bye_google_voice_integration_for_new_users/

Yeah, that's not totally clear on what it means. Mostly it seems to say it's not going to be available for new accounts, but isn't as clear what it means for those who already have integrated accounts.

That would be disappointing though if it does not work for those of us who are currently integrated. 

Just got the ios voice app update.

The new app is very much cleaner and easier to use, but has a somewhat confusing setup.

Your pre-hangouts messages and history will be there (as they were in the old voice app and website).

You are given the option to continue using hangouts for messaging, or switch messages back into the voice app.

Doesn't look like there will be any merge of message history from hangouts to voice, so if you switch back to voice it looks like you wouldn't have any recent messages (though I assume they will remain in hangouts).

The dialer is much better than ios hangouts dialer, you can scroll through your contacts and dial there, or dial directly via keypad.

For now I have kept hangouts integration, but I may switch back to voice.

In order to send texts from the new voice web site, you must disable hangouts.

I have sprint integration, with 2 gv numbers, my original GV number, and my original sprint number. I've been using my original sprint number as my primary gv number since sprint integration was available, and so far there hasn't been any effect to that.

If I ever had to remove sprint integration, I would want to keep my old sprint number as my main GV number (assume I would need a new # to replace it, if I ported it out to GV).

Just got the ios voice app update.

The new app is very much cleaner and easier to use, but has a somewhat confusing setup.

Your pre-hangouts messages and history will be there (as they were in the old voice app and website).

You are given the option to continue using hangouts for messaging, or switch messages back into the voice app.

Doesn't look like there will be any merge of message history from hangouts to voice, so if you switch back to voice it looks like you wouldn't have any recent messages (though I assume they will remain in hangouts).

The dialer is much better than ios hangouts dialer, you can scroll through your contacts and dial there, or dial directly via keypad.

For now I have kept hangouts integration, but I may switch back to voice.

In order to send texts from the new voice web site, you must disable hangouts.

I have sprint integration, with 2 gv numbers, my original GV number, and my original sprint number. I've been using my original sprint number as my primary gv number since sprint integration was available, and so far there hasn't been any effect to that.

If I ever had to remove sprint integration, I would want to keep my old sprint number as my main GV number (assume I would need a new # to replace it, if I ported it out to GV).

Do you see any options for RCS aka advance messaging?  I read Google plans on adding RCS to Voice and I wonder if Hangouts will have it too.

I didn't see any options listed for that, but I also am still using hangouts integration.

Oh ok, good to know.  I'm also using Hangouts integration.  I'm not sure if RCS is available yet but at least Google confirmed it will be added to Google Voice.  I wonder when that happens will it be added for both Hangouts and the Google Voice app.  For now I'll stick with Hangouts.

I hope the GV update doesn't break sms forwarding to non - Android phones.. When I had GV enabled in Hangouts briefly, I'd only get messages in Hangouts. If I can no longer forward messages to my Pre3, there is no point using GV integration.

Got the update today. Looks tons better. I can send MMS from the app but not receive it. Baby steps in the right direction.

I had a friend sign up for a GV number and test for me.. The problem send specific to the Sprint-GV integration. He can send and receive MMS to/from me from the GV app. Figures.

Okay....so I got the Google Voice update yesterday. I do like the looks of the new GUI, however, there are a few things that frustrate me. 

For one, I not find a way to delete old Text Messages. I have look on both the Android App and the Chrome app neither one seem to have a way of deleting text messages or vociemails.

Granted it might be there somewhere, but if it is, I cannot find it, anywhere. 

• Like 1

Press and hold a message for a pop-up with a delete option. For a voicemail, tap to expanded, the tap the three dots in the lower left corner of the expanded message area, and there is a delete option.

This will let you delete "a" text but I think he (and I know I) was referring to deleting a whole SMS/MMS thread which makes the most sense (to me) from a end user stand point BUT yes, what you said definitely does work.  :thx:

Okay....so I got the Google Voice update yesterday. I do like the looks of the new GUI, however, there are a few things that frustrate me. 

For one, I not find a way to delete old Text Messages. I have look on both the Android App and the Chrome app neither one seem to have a way of deleting text messages or vociemails.

Granted it might be there somewhere, but if it is, I cannot find it, anywhere. 

Well, for now, the only way I found was going into the web app settings, click to go back the "Legacy Google Voice app" and delete from there.  Hopefully just a miss on Google's part.... I imagine they'll make a PITA to delete vs archive just like the Google Messenger app BUT it should be doable from the message list.  Hell, I wish they'd add the ability to swipe to delete (just like the Gmail app) to BOTH the Messenger and now *new Gvoice app but you know, they do love our data. :)

I almost never delete entire conversations, but I do see the value in it for some things, like automatic notification threads. I also hate the insistence on archive instead of delete. Who thought that was a good idea? If I want it gone, I want it gone!

• Like 1

I almost never delete entire conversations, but I do see the value in it for some things, like automatic notification threads. I also hate the insistence on archive instead of delete. Who thought that was a good idea? If I want it gone, I want it gone!

Yeah, archive means (I have a strong hunch) that they can still mine that data for their purposes even though it's use would surely be anonymized and never made public.  I did notice that you can dump the whole conversation IF you delete every message in a thread but that would be painful, as it stands, if you wanted to actually dump the whole thing and had a crap load of messages in the thread. 

• Like 1

Press and hold a message for a pop-up with a delete option. For a voicemail, tap to expanded, the tap the three dots in the lower left corner of the expanded message area, and there is a delete option.

Thank you for at least finding that option!

This will let you delete "a" text but I think he (and I know I) was referring to deleting a whole SMS/MMS thread which makes the most sense (to me) from a end user stand point BUT yes, what you said definitely does work. :thx:

Well, for now, the only way I found was going into the web app settings, click to go back the "Legacy Google Voice app" and delete from there. Hopefully just a miss on Google's part.... I imagine they'll make a PITA to delete vs archive just like the Google Messenger app BUT it should be doable from the message list. Hell, I wish they'd add the ability to swipe to delete (just like the Gmail app) to BOTH the Messenger and now *new Gvoice app but you know, they do love our data. :)

Yes, you are correct!

Yeah, archive means (I have a strong hunch) that they can still mine that data for their purposes even though it's use would surely be anonymized and never made public. I did notice that you can dump the whole conversation IF you delete every message in a thread but that would be painful, as it stands, if you wanted to actually dump the whole thing and had a crap load of messages in the thread.

You are most likely correct. Personally I hate the Archive Function. I absolutely refuse to use it in Gmail! I guess though I'll have no choice but to use it in Google Voice. :(
  • Like 2

So I'm using Google Voice, integrated with Sprint, to get my Sprint number to ring on my work phone. Currently I use Hangouts on the work phone to get the dual dialer, but that's OTT. The Google Voice app works pretty well, but I find that if I default the phone to use the GV number as outbound calling, some of my calls fail.

Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

The new GV app on iOS is laggy and performs poorly. For GV texting I'm sticking with Hangouts for now which is a much better experience. Since I'm jailbroken i also went back to the old version of the GV app.

Really disappointed in the new iOS app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk