Google Hangouts w/Voice (Was Google Voice)

COZisBack

Yes, every GV feature is still available. And in addition, you can use regular texting apps if you want, and those messages still appear in your hangouts/GV app. MMS messages sent via a regular texting app of course won't be in your GV history since they will be sent through the Sprint network. 

Thanks to Travis for clarifying my earlier statement. My Sprint number is my Google Voice number, they are one in the same.

Google voice number got ported over yesterday afternoon. I enabled my Google voice number with Sprint.

I see that sending a text though a regular texting app also shows in the hangouts app but messages received only show in the hangouts app and not in the texting app. Is this normal or do I have to adjust some settings?

Google voice number got ported over yesterday afternoon. I enabled my Google voice number with Sprint.

I see that sending a text though a regular texting app also shows in the hangouts app but messages received only show in the hangouts app and not in the texting app. Is this normal or do I have to adjust some settings?

There is setting that allows you to chose to receive messages either through the Hangouts/GV app or via regular texting. 

I know where the setting is in the GV app, however I have not changed over to using Hangouts for GV so I'm not sure where the setting will be for you.

• Like 2

So what's the best way to text full resolution pictures if possible?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Integrate your *Sprint* number with Google Voice. 

If you are using a Google Voice number that is separate from your Sprint number, there is not a good solution unless you are willing go switch solely to your Sprint number, or port your GV number to Sprint.

• Like 3

There is setting that allows you to chose to receive messages either through the Hangouts/GV app or via regular texting.

Yes, for receipt of text messages, you must define your primary SMS or messaging app.  You will need to locate that setting and toggle it to your desired app.

AJ

• Like 1

I know where the setting is in the GV app, however I have not changed over to using Hangouts for GV so I'm not sure where the setting will be for you.

[emoji106] [emoji106]

Like you, I still use the Google Voice app, and have never switched over to Google Hangouts.

Personally, I love Google Voice, and I don't like all of the add 'social networking' features in Hangouts

Integrate your *Sprint* number with Google Voice.

If you are using a Google Voice number that is separate from your Sprint number, there is not a good solution unless you are willing go switch solely to your Sprint number, or port your GV number to Sprint.

Thanks. Does the recipient also need to use hangouts as well?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

So what's the best way to text full resolution pictures if possible?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I found the best way to send high quality pictures is to not use hangouts. A regular texting app will send better images but not full resolution. You must use email or a link from Dropbox to do that.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I switched over to an iPhone. Found out that the visual voicemail part of the phone app will not work if you use Google voice. This makes sense. You have to pick, either Google voice or the visual voicemail. I disabled Google voice so I can use the visual voicemail. It seems like a really nice feature. I've had Google voice for many years. Maybe it's time to move on?

I switched over to an iPhone. Found out that the visual voicemail part of the phone app will not work if you use Google voice. This makes sense. You have to pick, either Google voice or the visual voicemail. I disabled Google voice so I can use the visual voicemail. It seems like a really nice feature. I've had Google voice for many years. Maybe it's time to move on?

Why did you do that Google Voice provides you a transcript of your voice mail messages just like Visual voicemail.

• Like 1

Why did you do that Google Voice provides you a transcript of your voice mail messages just like Visual voicemail.

The only features that I will miss are the low cost international calls using my phone dialer and having my cell phone calls forwarded to my landline phones. Like you said, visual voicemail will work similar to Google voice but will be better integrated with the phone.

Low cost international calls can be made with Viber out. Not as convenient as using the dialer but not a bad option. And the call quality on the cell phone is good enough now that forwarding the calls to landline phones is not needed as much.

It seems to me that Google will abandon Google voice. Google has not updated the Google voice app in years. It just doesn't seem to have been a priority for Google in many years.

• 1 month later...

It would appear not anymore, as I was given the same notification when I tried to enable WiFi Calling on my G5. 

I was looking around at the FAQ and there are a lot of features that get disabled by opting in to WiFi calling. Hopefully they can make them work together at some point.

https://support.sprint.com/support/article/FAQs_about_Wi-Fi_calling/173e331f-8423-453e-93cb-4688f6a91f67

Are all features and options available with Wi-Fi Calling like I have on Sprint's cellular service?

The following features currently incompatible Wi-Fi Calling. When opting-in for the Wi-Fi Calling service, your phone will no longer be able to use the following features.

• HD Voice
  • Premium Caller ID
  • Voice Account Controls from Sprint.com (Call Blocking by specific numbers)
  • Select Abbreviated Dialing Codes (Short codes starting with * or #)
  • RingBack Tones
  • StarStar Me
  • Google Voice with your existing Sprint number
  • Integrated Office (IO) Business Service
  • Sprint Mobile integration (SMI) Business Service
  • Wireless Mobile Integration (WMI) Business Service
  • Sprint Direct Connect Now Application
  • Wireless Emergency Alerts
  • Wireless Priority Services (WPS)
  • Government Emergency Telecommunications Service (GETS)
  • TTY (Teletypewriter) Service

I was looking around at the FAQ and there are a lot of features that get disabled by opting in to WiFi calling. Hopefully they can make them work together at some point.

https://support.sprint.com/support/article/FAQs_about_Wi-Fi_calling/173e331f-8423-453e-93cb-4688f6a91f67

Are all features and options available with Wi-Fi Calling like I have on Sprint's cellular service?

The following features currently incompatible Wi-Fi Calling. When opting-in for the Wi-Fi Calling service, your phone will no longer be able to use the following features.

• HD Voice
  • Premium Caller ID
  • Voice Account Controls from Sprint.com (Call Blocking by specific numbers)
  • Select Abbreviated Dialing Codes (Short codes starting with * or #)
  • RingBack Tones
  • StarStar Me
  • Google Voice with your existing Sprint number
  • Integrated Office (IO) Business Service
  • Sprint Mobile integration (SMI) Business Service
  • Wireless Mobile Integration (WMI) Business Service
  • Sprint Direct Connect Now Application
  • Wireless Emergency Alerts
  • Wireless Priority Services (WPS)
  • Government Emergency Telecommunications Service (GETS)
  • TTY (Teletypewriter) Service

Some of these things work when not connected to WiFi calling, that makes it sound like they don't work at all. For example, Wireless Emergency Alerts will still work when not connected to WiFi calling. even though it may be enabled. The reason they don't work when using WiFi calling is your entire connection to the macro network is severed.

I wonder how many of them are disabled completely, or only unavailable while connected to WiFi calling.

Some of these things work when not connected to WiFi calling, that makes it sound like they don't work at all. For example, Wireless Emergency Alerts will still work when not connected to WiFi calling. even though it may be enabled. The reason they don't work when using WiFi calling is your entire connection to the macro network is severed.

I wonder how many of them are disabled completely, or only unavailable while connected to WiFi calling.

HD voice definitely still works when not connected to WiFi calling, even with it active on the account.

With Google voice active, HD calling does not work.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

HD voice definitely still works when not connected to WiFi calling, even with it active on the account.

With Google voice active, HD calling does not work.

HD voice is dependent on the device. If it uses the old IMS core, it disables HD voice for all calls (source: a senior tech at Sprint who was diagnosing and tracing calls for me) since they're routed internally through the IMS core regardless of where the call originates. With phones that use the new IMS core for wifi calling, it may not disable HD voice.

Basically, Sprint routes calls differently internally depending on whether or not wifi calling is on your account.

Sent from my Pixel XL

HD voice is dependent on the device. If it uses the old IMS core, it disables HD voice for all calls (source: a senior tech at Sprint who was diagnosing and tracing calls for me) since they're routed internally through the IMS core regardless of where the call originates. With phones that use the new IMS core for wifi calling, it may not disable HD voice.

Basically, Sprint routes calls differently internally depending on whether or not wifi calling is on your account.

Sent from my Pixel XL

That's interesting. Even on my old Galaxy S4T work phone, having WiFi calling active doesn't effect HD voice. HD voice still works fine.

Sent from my Pixel XL

Any word on if HD voice will ever work for devices that use Google Voice?

• Like 1

Any word on if HD voice will ever work for devices that use Google Voice?

I believe that Google Voice integrated accounts get rerouted through a special MSC.  The switch may even belong to Google.  If so, it will have to be upgraded to support HD voice, though that may not be possible or worthwhile.

AJ

• Like 1

Sent from my Pixel XL

My GS7 and my wife's iPhone 6 both do not support HD Voice with WiFi calling activated. Connected to WiFi or not.

• 1 month later...