Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

You misunderstand memory. Empty memory is wasted memory. Near 100% use is exactly what you want from memory, because the OS is maximizing its use. My 6hr average is 1.4GB and the phone is just as snappy as it was when I started it.

I know that. I'd be okay with that if my maps didn't close in the background while driving or if Spotify didn't stop every 15 minutes. I commute 3 hours a day and its frustrating.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 8 months later...

I was having an issue with my Nexus 5 the last week or so. It was like the power button was faulty and could cause the device to turn off as if you long pressed it randomly, or unlock/lock the screen and quick open the camera. I ended up ordering a 32GB Nexus 5x from groupon for $229 on Friday, and today I got the UPS notification that it's being shipped and the problem stopped on it's own. Has anyone else had issues with their power button? It's too late to cancel my order but I can still return the Nexus 5x after it arrives. I didn't want to replace this phone but the button issue was driving me nuts and $229 for a 32GB Nexus 5x seemed like a really good deal.

I was having an issue with my Nexus 5 the last week or so. It was like the power button was faulty and could cause the device to turn off as if you long pressed it randomly, or unlock/lock the screen and quick open the camera. I ended up ordering a 32GB Nexus 5x from groupon for $229 on Friday, and today I got the UPS notification that it's being shipped and the problem stopped on it's own. Has anyone else had issues with their power button? It's too late to cancel my order but I can still return the Nexus 5x after it arrives. I didn't want to replace this phone but the button issue was driving me nuts and $229 for a 32GB Nexus 5x seemed like a really good deal.

Not sure about your issue (never had that happen on my 5) but that's almost half what I paid for my N5X 32G on launch (before the $50 play credit, so more like 2/3rds). So that's definitely something to consider.

If you're comfortable taking the back off of your N5 it should be pretty easy to see if something's jammed up in the power button. Just take off the back and unscrew the six screws on the upper plate cover and then you have full view of the power button assembly.

• Like 1

I actually still use my N5 for video streaming since the Nexus 5X doesn't seem to have HDMI support :td:    I ran into the issue where the microphone ceased to function.  I replaced the module which included the USB, but it didn't work.  I later found out that it was a common problem caused by the vibrator in the phone literally wearing the phone out.  There were some suggested workarounds by way of using paper shims, but I didn't want to bother.  The phone was about 2 years old at the time I started having problems. 

If it were me, I'd probably stick with the N5X.  The only thing I wasn't happy about is that the CA engineering screen is busted, but it definitely works for 2CA - not that I ever have any need for such speeds.  The nearest known B41 site to me is about 10 miles away. :lol:  In my experience, B41 RF performance is marginally better than the N5.  I briefly had a Galaxy S6 (I think that was the model), and the B41 performance was very good.  The only reason I returned it was because it was too big and I was constantly bumping the screen with my palms.  Band 25 works about as well as with the N5 (which always worked pretty well on B25).  I haven't been on B26 enough to really give a report on the performance.  The nearest known live B26 site is about 50 miles to my south.

Not sure about your issue (never had that happen on my 5) but that's almost half what I paid for my N5X 32G on launch (before the $50 play credit, so more like 2/3rds). So that's definitely something to consider.

If you're comfortable taking the back off of your N5 it should be pretty easy to see if something's jammed up in the power button. Just take off the back and unscrew the six screws on the upper plate cover and then you have full view of the power button assembly.

The back was a little harder to take off than I thought, there was a bit of foam tape at the bottom holding the back on. I found quite a bit of gunk in and around the power button assembly around where the button makes contact with the board and around the button through the side case itself. After scraping it all clean the power button feels crisp and smooth like the day I bought it, and the rattle is back that I had forgotten about. I think I may just use the 5X I have coming and put the 5 on back up duty, my current back up device is an OG EVO since I gave my EVO LTE to my dad a couple years ago and I did get it for a pretty good price. Thanks for your help.

• Like 2

Power buttons (well technically its the power switch) on the nexus 5 have issues. Mine got stuck in a reboot loop which comes from the power switch getting stuff in it (like Corrosion from use) you can get replacement buttons in a 5 pack off eBay for about $5.

Either fix it yourself if you have the tools or some shops can do it.

I got mine working again and its like new :)

• Like 1

Groupon ended up sending me the international version of the 5X and can't replace it with the US variant. Thanks again for all the help with my power button, without it I would be without a working phone.

How did that happen?!?

Not really sure. The listing was for the H790 (http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-lg-nexus-5x-h790-32gb-gsmcdma-phone)

and the H791 was in the box that came today. I spoke with a supervisor who said they would forward it to their goods acquisition team but they weren't hopeful they could get the correct phone.

Groupon ended up sending me the international version of the 5X and can't replace it with the US variant. Thanks again for all the help with my power button, without it I would be without a working phone.

Why is this posted in the Nexus 5 thread?

AJ

Why is this posted in the Nexus 5 thread?

AJ

Because I trying to show my gratitude to those that helped me with information about how to fix the power button on my Nexus 5 since without them I would have been stuck without a working phone for weeks while my refund is processed. Delete the post if it bothers you.

Responding to those who helped fix the Nexus 5 he is currently using.

Because I trying to show my gratitude to those that helped me with information about how to fix the power button on my Nexus 5 since without them I would have been stuck without a working phone for weeks while my refund is processed. Delete the post if it bothers you.

Geez, guys, do not get your panties in a bunch.  Upon opening the latests posts in the thread, they looked misplaced, like someone mistakenly had posted about the Nexus 5X without reading carefully the title of the thread.  That is why I asked the question.

AJ

Geez, guys, do not get your panties in a bunch. Upon opening the latests posts in the thread, they looked misplaced, like someone mistakenly had posted about the Nexus 5X without reading carefully the title of the thread. That is why I asked the question.

AJ

No bunching here! [emoji14]

Sent from my LG G5

No bunching here! [emoji14]

Yes, we happen to have photo evidence of you...

james-corden-basic-instinct-remake-cbs.g

AJ

This is an all-too-common issue with the Nexus 5. Both of mine were eventually affected as well as those of just about everyone I knew that had one.

The permanent fix is a replacement power button. A local store was able to do the repair on one of mine for around $40-50. I was able to fix the other bu taking it apart and wiggling the button, but I still have these sitting around for when it eventually fails completely:

MKBJzXut.jpgIVP1WTPt.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all.

So since my Nexus 5X is busted and my old 5's daughterboard connector on the motherboard gave out, I purchased a Nexus 5 with a cracked display on ebay to harvest the motherboard from. The mobo works, but there's another problem.

It was advertised as 32GB, but upon connecting the board to a working LCD and booting fastboot I discovered it was a 16GB T-Mobile model. So now I need some advice on how to get it whitelisted. The lowest-tier chat rep just told me it was incompatible after I gave her the IMEI. Where do I proceed from here? I remember reading a few success stories from people who got T-Mobile-purchased models whitelisted.

And any advice on how to deal with the ebay mis-labeling? Do I just report it as "item didn't arrive as described"? It was $50, which I considered a fair price for a salvageable working 32GB board, but there are listings for cracked/broken LCD 16GB T-Mobile models for less than $10.

I went ahead and initiated the return on ebay. (Item was sold as non-returnable but regardless of what happens I'd like to hear what the seller has to say about this.)

Until I can get this figured out (or my 5X is fixed), I'll be texting with an LS840 LG Viper circa 2012! Talk about a throwback.

• Like 1

I went ahead and initiated the return on ebay. (Item was sold as non-returnable but regardless of what happens I'd like to hear what the seller has to say about this.)

Until I can get this figured out (or my 5X is fixed), I'll be texting with an LS840 LG Viper circa 2012! Talk about a throwback.

I think with it being advertised as 32GB, but really being 16GB you'll be able to return it.

My Dad just replaced his Nexus 5 with an LG5.  The screen on the Nexus 5 is shattered, but I'll see if he is willing to part with it.  It is already Sprint white listed, but i think only 16GB.  PM me if you are interested.

• Like 2

Hi all.

... So now I need some advice on how to get it whitelisted. The lowest-tier chat rep just told me it was incompatible after I gave her the IMEI. Where do I proceed from here? I remember reading a few success stories from people who got T-Mobile-purchased models whitelisted.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7448-adding-imei-to-sprint-db-troubles/?p=471308

My Nexus 5X did the same. So I am using my old Nexus 5 until the replacement refurbish 5X gets the IMEI added.

When you call try to get somebody in tech support.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I feel like I'm necro'ing this thread, but it's a device question.. Is anyone still using an N5 on Sprint and not having problems with SMS and MMS? I bought two off ebay, in good condition, and that work perfectly on Tracfone (AT&T), but on Sprint, SMS and MMS will stop working multiple times per day - some days it might be one time, or maybe a few hours apart, but sometimes as frequently as every 15 minutes! I really like the N5 and would happily use them as my daily driver, but I can't put up with that problem. Sprint support of course has no idea why it's happening. I've factory reset, reinstalled the latest factory image, all updates installed. I've reset network settings, which fixes it for a few minutes usually, but only a full reboot fixes it until the next time. I have a hard time believing I have two phones that have the exact same problem on Sprint but work perfectly on TF.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

Per your question about my Nexus 5.

The only issues I've had is that I let someone with at&t use my phone and there was a radio bug where it would never go back to Sprint. You either had to reset the phone back to factory. Or upgrade to either lollipop or marshmallow. Because they fixed the radio bug.

That was a nexus radio issues though not sprint.

I have had some text issues though. Only after I went to marshmallow (or at least that's the only time I've noticed it) it'll give an error in hangouts where it says something about the text not being sent and I can't send anything after that. I have to delete all the error (unsent) texts and then either force stop hangouts through settings -> apps  or restart the phone. It doesn't happen too often though. Not several times a day. I figured it was a marshmallow bug. Or a hangouts bug since they keep saying hangouts won't be supported and I need to upgrade but my wife's nexus 5 (on AT&T) finally forced her to upgrade to a different program but I've still been able to use hangouts.

Marshmallow has had some bugs, the camera occasionally crashes and then you can't use the camera (or the flashlight) until you restart.

But the nexus 5 works great for me. Has all the sprint bands and I don't use much data so multiply carrier aggregation isn't necessary for me.