Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Speaking for my devices, the problem is independent of the default messaging app. I mainly use Android Messages and Textra. In fact I reloaded the last factory image and used it stock to prove it wasn't any app or update.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I had my Nexus 5 activated a couple of weeks ago while LG had my phone for repair and I didn't notice any SMS or MMS problems.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Glad to hear something recent. Is yours a "Sprint" model (yes I realize they're technically all the same) or a Google Play model? There shouldn't be a difference, but I'm doing what I can to narrow it down.

Glad to hear something recent. Is yours a "Sprint" model (yes I realize they're technically all the same) or a Google Play model? There shouldn't be a difference, but I'm doing what I can to narrow it down.

Yes. It was purchased from Best Buy with a Sprint Sim preinstalled in the box.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm probably going to jinx it by posting this.. been on the N5 with Lollipop for about 36 hrs without experiencing SMS or MMS issues. Knock on wood... emoji267.png

Please keep us updated. I don't mind restarting every now and then but honestly it always seems like "updates" always have more bugs then the phone did brand new. That's one of my frustrations about getting an update. It never seems to go through as much QA as they did for the initial release.

I picked up the G6 with the best buy deal but switched back because I didn't have a case or tempered glass protectors for the front screen and rear camera and didn't want to get any scratches.

The Nexus 5 is good enough for me. it has all the Sprint Bands and if someone is a small data user like myself where CA doesn't have any additional benefit then I don't see the advantage of switching from the 5 for now.

-J

About 24 hours on 6.0.1 and I just started having issues. Updating profile in network settings fixed for now... Same old same old. I wonder if it broke immediately on 6.0.1 it if one of the monthly updates did it..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks again for the update. I haven't had a bad text for about 10 days or so.  

I'm still behind on updates. Currently on the Oct 5, 2016 update. (Yes I know)

That IS the last update unfortunately. Well, I had two updates that were both marked Oct 5, 2016..maybe you're still on the first one?

Oh, I don't normally install updates and since it was a few years old I just figured it was way outdated - my bad.

No problem. I am rolling back to 5.1.1 and restoring the backup I made yesterday. I may try the 6.0.1 update with no monthlies, or just stay on 5 for a while.. It has been working fine for me.

I inadvertently bought a 16GB N5 last week that, as far as I know, has only been used on Sprint. I had the same experience with it - SMS and MMS worked fine on 5.1.1 but broke as soon as I updated it to 6.0.1. I explored one more possibility, by flashing the baseband from 5.1.1 over the 6.0.1 version. At first it seemed promising, but after switching back to my main N5 and doing the same thing, I still had issues with SMS and MMS, almost immediately. I cleared the cache partition last night and so far today it has been fine, but I'm not confident. If it happens again, I'll restore my 5.1.1 backup again and give up on 6.0.1. Slightly more out of date doesn't seem any worse off than just out of date. :/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just looked at my Nexus 5 and realized it's been running for 550 hours (about 23 days) not a text issue at all in this time.

Not saying the problems or issues are gone just mostly just an FYI. (although it sounded like you put your Nexus 5 to other uses based another one of your posts)

• Love 1

7 hours ago, sleet said:

I just looked at my Nexus 5 and realized it's been running for 550 hours (about 23 days) not a text issue at all in this time.

Not saying the problems or issues are gone just mostly just an FYI. (although it sounded like you put your Nexus 5 to other uses based another one of your posts)

And you're running 6.0.1?  Wow.  For me, the problems start almost immediately after updating from 5.1.1 to 6.0.1 - usually within an hour or two, but always within a day.  I had one hiccup on 5.1.1, but the phone was acting a little odd at the time, so I wrote that one off as a coincidence. I'm actually swapping back now to do some other testing with Ubuntu Touch, which I expect will fail too. :)

Yes I'm running 6.0.1

Some days I text a bit and other days not much.

When it finally decided to have the glitch I'll try to remember to post an update with hour long it went.

One thing I have been doing is keeping my data off. I turn it on if someone is going to text me a pic or if I'm going to send one but I just try to keep my data usage to a minimum.

• 1 month later...

Well my phone just died about an hour ago. I couldn't get it to restart. It tried holding the power button and all the usual tricks. It had changed overnight and was probably around ~70% battery so I know it wasn't a dead battery. Before it died I had pulled it out and sent a text and then left it on the desk. came back an hour later and it was dead.

I put it back on the wireless charger for a bit - nothing.

Then plugged it into the usb port on the computer (I had previously enabled USB debugging)- still nothing.

I was getting pretty worried and finally started looking up dead nexus 5 online.

I had gotten the boot loop issue a couple years back but heard the power switch gets defected and had pulled the phone apart and replaced the switch and things have been just fine for years so I was doubting it could be that. Plus I wasn't boot looping anyway - it was dead.

I did some reading online and someone suggested holding volume up and down and the power button. I did that and got a short vibrate.

After that a little while later I tried the power button line normal (it still wasn't showing any charging screen or anything as it was still plugged into the USB at this time) and it actually fired up.

Everything appears normal not.

I have no idea how long it was running but interpolating it from my previous post and being a little cautions as I'm not sure the exact time of day I posted etc. I'm guessing I had at least 1,318 hours on it since the last restart.

Still no bad texts or anything else. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it was just a random bug from being on so long.

But meanwhile I' have been daily checking to see if the LG G6's go on sale again at best buy as the two I picked up I gave to family so I'd still like to get another one for me. but I figured I'd at least the status regarding the Nexus 5  from my previous posts

I sold one of mine, then accidentally bought another one. :/ I can still only use 5.1.1 on Sprint if I want SMS to work reliably, which sucks, but I love switching to it once in a while. It's just the perfect size for me. And frankly, it's faster than my KEYone.

• S4GRU changed the title to Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!