Samsung Galaxy S5 User Thread

LuisBOSS302

Aside from doze or the power saving. What else are some major differences. Can't really tell Haha.

Choosing which permissions you want and don't want apps accessing is huge for me. For example, ESPN, Shazam and Spotify don't need to access my contacts or know my location. It was about time Google allowed us to take control on what we want and dont want to share with apps.

• Like 1

Choosing which permissions you want and don't want apps accessing is huge for me. For example, ESPN, Shazam and Spotify don't need to access my contacts or know my location. It was about time Google allowed us to take control on what we want and dont want to share with apps.

I tried disabling Internet to an app and it wouldn't let me. So I was hoping it was even more granular

OK, so after the update there are a couple of things that are bothering me.

1. After every startup, I keep getting that annoying SD Card Media Transfer notification. Not really annoying now, but I can tell it will get old quick.

2. I've spent most of my day in non-Sprint areas this morning. Ever since the last update, I have yet to establish a data session with Verizon (which is another ordeal). So naturally, this morning I try to play with the roaming settings over and over again to see if I can connect (I coudn't  :(). To my surprise, Wi-Fi kept turning itself on over and over again while roaming. It is extremely annoying as our WiFi network is only for networking and has no internet. Also, everytime Wifi turned itself on, it reset my data roaming guard to ON over and over. Roaming on Marshmallow is a freakish nightmare  :td: . This may be a Connection Optimizer feature, but unfortunately I cannot find the settings to that anymore. It used to be under Network Settings, but its not there anymore. If anyone can find it, please let me know!

3. The Sprint Logo on boot up is annoying. Too much bright white. Also the Sprint/Roam notification is a bit weird, but at least that goes away with any notification (Thank God for SCP)

Now for the good things...

1. My web browsers are no longer crashing! :D. Memory Leak BE GONE!!!

2. Phone was extremely slow at first, but now that it had most of the night to settle it is as smooth as it was under Kit Kat. Of course, Touchwiz will probably never work flawlessly on this phone, but at least its working better than it used to under Lollipop.

3. Some apps (mostly Airbnb and Kayak) used to take an eternity to start up. But now, they seem to work a lot better. Still slow, but a lot more tolerable.

Things I have yet to test.

1. Bluetooth connectivity. Every update causes my Bluetooth to go haywire and I have to reestablish all of my connections with my headphones and vehicles. We'll see...

2. Battery Life. I haven't had a chance to compare battery life, but as of right now the Android System is eating up more battery than my Screen. This is probably due to all the rebooting I have done to the phone, but it is still something I will keep my eye on for the next couple of days.

3. Signal. This is one thing Samsung is famous for. Devices that are nearing end of life are usually thrown that last update that will trash rf performance. It happened to my S2 and it happened to my S5. I will keep a tab on that as well.

OK, so after the update there are a couple of things that are bothering me.

1. After every startup, I keep getting that annoying SD Card Media Transfer notification. Not really annoying now, but I can tell it will get old quick.

2. I've spent most of my day in non-Sprint areas this morning. Ever since the last update, I have yet to establish a data session with Verizon (which is another ordeal). So naturally, this morning I try to play with the roaming settings over and over again to see if I can connect (I coudn't  :(). To my surprise, Wi-Fi kept turning itself on over and over again while roaming. It is extremely annoying as our WiFi network is only for networking and has no internet. Also, everytime Wifi turned itself on, it reset my data roaming guard to ON over and over. Roaming on Marshmallow is a freakish nightmare  :td: . This may be a Connection Optimizer feature, but unfortunately I cannot find the settings to that anymore. It used to be under Network Settings, but its not there anymore. If anyone can find it, please let me know!

3. The Sprint Logo on boot up is annoying. Too much bright white. Also the Sprint/Roam notification is a bit weird, but at least that goes away with any notification (Thank God for SCP)

Now for the good things...

1. My web browsers are no longer crashing! :D. Memory Leak BE GONE!!!

2. Phone was extremely slow at first, but now that it had most of the night to settle it is as smooth as it was under Kit Kat. Of course, Touchwiz will probably never work flawlessly on this phone, but at least its working better than it used to under Lollipop.

3. Some apps (mostly Airbnb and Kayak) used to take an eternity to start up. But now, they seem to work a lot better. Still slow, but a lot more tolerable.

Things I have yet to test.

1. Bluetooth connectivity. Every update causes my Bluetooth to go haywire and I have to reestablish all of my connections with my headphones and vehicles. We'll see...

2. Battery Life. I haven't had a chance to compare battery life, but as of right now the Android System is eating up more battery than my Screen. This is probably due to all the rebooting I have done to the phone, but it is still something I will keep my eye on for the next couple of days.

3. Signal. This is one thing Samsung is famous for. Devices that are nearing end of life are usually thrown that last update that will trash rf performance. It happened to my S2 and it happened to my S5. I will keep a tab on that as well.

No issues with the roaming. Immediately connected to verizon roaming, and I feel like I am getting LTE alot more frequently out in the fringe areas. 

Can anyone tell if the 6.0.1 update includes the 1X/LTE bug with SignalCheck Pro?  If it does, I think I'd rather stay on 5.0.

- Trip

What bug is that? Cant say Ive seen any issues with SCP on 6.0.1

The bug where 1X and LTE appear at the same time occasionally (usually after changing between the two) and LTE information doesn't fully populate.  My Verizon phone on 5.1 gets it now and then.

- Trip

The bug where 1X and LTE appear at the same time occasionally (usually after changing between the two) and LTE information doesn't fully populate.  My Verizon phone on 5.1 gets it now and then.

- Trip

I can't say Ive had an issue before with that, But I can not say Ive ran into the issue on 6.0.1 yet either

Anyone try to root yet? If so, anyone have a quick guide on how? I can't a guide anywhere.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/sprint-galaxy-s5/general/sprint-gs5-android-6-0-t3336758

This maybe what you are looking for. Sorry I do not frequent here as much as I used to but I hope this helped.

Edit: Just rooted mine in a few minutes time just by following those steps, Flash TWRP in Odin, right after I went straight into recovery to avoid Stock Recovery being reinstalled. Then installed SuperSU, rebooted, then Xposed. Do note once I installed Xposed it took a little longer to boot, had to go through the whole "optimizing apps" screen

• Like 1

http://forum.xda-developers.com/sprint-galaxy-s5/general/sprint-gs5-android-6-0-t3336758

This maybe what you are looking for. Sorry I do not frequent here as much as I used to but I hope this helped.

Edit: Just rooted mine in a few minutes time just by following those steps, Flash TWRP in Odin, right after I went straight into recovery to avoid Stock Recovery being reinstalled. Then installed SuperSU, rebooted, then Xposed. Do note once I installed Xposed it took a little longer to boot, had to go through the whole "optimizing apps" screen

I just want root access. I don't plan on changing anything cosmetically now that I know Samsung Good Lock app can be installed on our phones. It actually shows when your phone is sending/receiving data and "4G, 3G or 1x". I just want root access to delete bloatware.

Thanks for the link though!

• Like 1

Has anyone noticed in the ##3282# menu under edit, and LTE it has LTE roaming option? As well as CA settings. I am aware the CA are probably on all 6.0.1 samsung models, but will not affect this at all. But the LTE roaming one maybe a bit interesting to see if it has any use on the s5.

So my 4 year old uses my old S5 for a media device and I updated her to the 6.0.1 software.  One thing I can attest to is the DOZE mode is amazing for this phone in our case.  As her phone largely sits unattended, and only on WiFi (no cell service).  It's rolling on 3 days without being charged and there is still 78% battery left.  This would be dead in about a day, day and a half, prior to 6.0.1. 

• Like 2

Has anyone noticed in the ##3282# menu under edit, and LTE it has LTE roaming option? As well as CA settings. I am aware the CA are probably on all 6.0.1 samsung models, but will not affect this at all. But the LTE roaming one maybe a bit interesting to see if it has any use on the s5.

I've tried turning on LTE roaming, but it won't stay on after a reset.

The CA option turns on, but it just says 'not configured' on the connections display.

Just a heads up. If you root and then you do a self activation (##72786#), your phone will fail and get stuck attempting to activate over and over again. Of course, your phone is already activated but that means you'll have to deal with the constant notification and random 'Self Activation' screen at the most random times.

So do not attempt to dial ##72786# into the dialer.

Also if any one noticed the 6.0.1 update now shows the LTE bandwidth MHZ. Nice touch

Is this just on the Enginerring screens, or other places too?

Is this just on the Enginerring screens, or other places too?

So far in the engineering screens. Cant say Ive seen it elsewhere. SCP shows the frequencies used. At least the beta version

Just when this phone finally gets a breath of fresh air with the update, I'm forced to part ways with it. I began a claim to fix a microphone issue that has been erratic for some time now. Insurance tells me that since they have no replacements available, they are going to send me a check for the value of the phone.

It's a bitter sweet moment. This phone may have been the best, worst phone I have ever owned. It has an endless amount of features, but was plagued by random memory issues for most of its lifetime. Now with OS 6.0.1, the phone is a joy to use once again. After installing the Good Lock app (which I highly recommend to everyone with an S5) the Galaxy S5 looks and feels as good as any other new phone out there today.

I'm happy I get to move on, but saddened that I have to leave a phone behind that Samsung has finally figured out. After the update, the Galaxy S5 just feels right. Unfortunately, I will only live with the bad memories.

Pour one for out for my GS5...Cue the ghetto gif...

homies.gif

I can't say Ive had an issue before with that, But I can not say Ive ran into the issue on 6.0.1 yet either

Well, I bit the bullet and did the update today, since I've heard nothing about it.  We shall see what happens.

I admit I'm really surprised that the UI still looks basically the same.

- Trip

Well, I bit the bullet and did the update today, since I've heard nothing about it.  We shall see what happens.

I admit I'm really surprised that the UI still looks basically the same.

- Trip

Install Good Lock. It brings some refreshing changes to the notifications and app manager drawer.