Samsung Galaxy S5 User Thread

LuisBOSS302

You guys getting this heart rate light whenever you put your finger near it while the screen is on? Not when using S health or reading heart rate. Just happens all the time.

WtlVcfQ.jpg

So annoying. I've factory reset, wiped caches, still happens.

sent from an underwater dust storm with my Sprint S5

That's just the NSA's new DNA tracking 'option' you have enabled [emoji57]
  • Like 3

You guys getting this heart rate light whenever you put your finger near it while the screen is on? Not when using S health or reading heart rate. Just happens all the time.

WtlVcfQ.jpg

So annoying. I've factory reset, wiped caches, still happens.

sent from an underwater dust storm with my Sprint S5

It happened to me up until this morning. Not sure why it stopped. I found that taking your pulse once actually stops it for an hour or so. But now it's completely stopped.

In other news my battery seems alot better after uninstalling dash Clock and Google fit.

It happened to me up until this morning. Not sure why it stopped. I found that taking your pulse once actually stops it for an hour or so. But now it's completely stopped.

In other news my battery seems alot better after uninstalling dash Clock and Google fit.

Do you have an android wear watch that does heart rate? I reflashed and so far all is well but my theory is that the Android Wear heart rate screwed up the sensor. My Moto360 has the Motorola app and the Google Fit app that can both read it, then it also mirrors apps, like Google fit on the device. I'm pretty sure the first time I did it on my watch, I then started seeing it on the phone? I'm not going to replicate to test but thought I'd ask you first.

sent from an underwater dust storm from my Sprint S5

Do you have an android wear watch that does heart rate? I reflashed and so far all is well but my theory is that the Android Wear heart rate screwed up the sensor. My Moto360 has the Motorola app and the Google Fit app that can both read it, then it also mirrors apps, like Google fit on the device. I'm pretty sure the first time I did it on my watch, I then started seeing it on the phone? I'm not going to replicate to test but thought I'd ask you first.

No smart watch on my end. Never had one. But maybe it is somehow related to Google fit. That's one of the few things I did differently.

Anybody know if you can activate the different profiles and guest mode (functionality of Lollipop) with this update?

I don't think so. A couple other Lollipop features missing is pinning Windows and persistent search box during recent apps.
  • Like 1

After a couple days with 5.0 and traveling my normal routes, etc., I can definitely say that this radio firmware is weaker than what we had with 4.4.4.  I don't pick up LTE in my fringe locations anymore, back to dirt slow 3G.  It does, however, find and hold on to a B41 signal from much further out.  This really is too bad, most of my commute home was fringe LTE, but I could stream music and such.  Now, I can't do that anymore unfortunately. 

I think the factory wipe (for the 4th time) ironed out most of my bugs, except one that persists through each wipe is that apps with "default" notification sounds, which I have set to "promixa" or whatever, always show up as that awful Samsung whistle notification sound?  Very odd bug, and quite annoying.  If I can set the app's notification sound, then it'll respect that, but if I can't, I'm getting a whistle.  I'm guessing that it has something to do with either the Google backup/restore or the Samsung backup/restore because it remembered my custom ringtone and notification.  Resetting the notification to something else, then changing it back, doesn't help.  Can't figure a way around it at the moment. 

Really looking forward to Screen Pinning and guest modes if we will get that in the next update.  That's super handy on my Nexus 7.

My phone reset (or seemed to) on me last night.  The only thing I was actively doing was running a stop watch to time something.  The only thing I noticed was the yellow Sprint Spark loading screen and then it was back to the home screen.  I opened the stop watch and it was stuck at 0.  I hit reset for the stop watch and it was back to normal.

I did a reset after that, but it was just weird.

My battery is back down to 4 hrs. Sucks. I guess I have to do a wipe. What's the best way these days to do a wipe and recover all your info? I haven't done it I a while. What about a davlik cache wipe. I didn't see it in the recovery menu just the regular cache. Thanks guys.

I recommend ##786# if you know your MSL to do a complete wipe

Have my MSL, What's the difference between RTN and factory reset in the recovery menu?

and what's the best way to backup everything these days, settings, info, apps, etc...

My battery is back down to 4 hrs. Sucks. I guess I have to do a wipe. What's the best way these days to do a wipe and recover all your info? I haven't done it I a while. What about a davlik cache wipe. I didn't see it in the recovery menu just the regular cache. Thanks guys.

Well, there's no dalvik anymore! All ART. Plus the stock recovery never had dalvik wipe, only custom recoveries had that.

"Recover all your info", like apps? Or data in apps?

I usually will wipe through the Settings menu, then wipe again through recovery after that's done booting. Then start rebuilding. Lollipop makes rebuilds a little faster by letting you select which Google backup you want to restore. Misses less than before.

• Like 1

Have my MSL, What's the difference between RTN and factory reset in the recovery menu?

and what's the best way to backup everything these days, settings, info, apps, etc...

Data in apps, unless you're rooted or the dev uses the appropriate Google API for data sync, won't be backed up. I use the Samsung cloud sync for my SMS/MMS (if I care about them). I'd rather have less junk floating around in any apps and start fresh. Otherwise, I let Google restore my wifi spots, settings prefs, and installed apps.

• Like 1

Data in apps, unless you're rooted or the dev uses the appropriate Google API for data sync, won't be backed up. I use the Samsung cloud sync for my SMS/MMS (if I care about them). I'd rather have less junk floating around in any apps and start fresh. Otherwise, I let Google restore my wifi spots, settings prefs, and installed apps.

Ah OK! Have you ever used kies to backup?

Ah OK! Have you ever used kies to backup?

Kies will always fail for me with anything except WiFi backups. So I don't even try to use it anymore. Google's methods have improved. And like I said, Samsung cloud for MMS/SMS works well.

• Like 1

Days later still horrible battery life. I can only get 2 hours of screen time before my phone dies .. I prefer the notification panels of kit kat and the default messaging app.

One thing that has improved is the camera. It opens faster, takes pics faster, faster focus, and doesn't close .

• Like 2

Days later still horrible battery life. I can only get 2 hours of screen time before my phone dies .. I prefer the notification panels of kit kat and the default messaging app.

One thing that has improved is the camera. It opens faster, takes pics faster, faster focus, and doesn't close .

Try Textra for SMS/MMS.  It's pretty amazing, I was reluctant to use something different, but Textra works with sending MMS over WiFi (in MMS settings in Textra, pick prefer WiFi). 

Agreed on the camera opening and pictures for sure.  My pics are coming out far clearer, even in lower light. 

After about a week now, one of my big pet peeves is the memory leaks. Things will just randomly disappear. No message about things crashing. Just disappearing especially signal check pro. It will be in status bar one minute and gone the next. Spotify too will randomly stop and be gone. Really annoying. Happens with all apps.

And things won't stay in memory in recent apps, when I come back to an app I just left it will refresh or act like I am just opening the app for the first time.

Anyone else experience these bugs?

• Like 1

After about a week now, one of my big pet peeves is the memory leaks. Things will just randomly disappear. No message about things crashing. Just disappearing especially signal check pro. It will be in status bar one minute and gone the next. Spotify too will randomly stop and be gone. Really annoying. Happens with all apps.

And things won't stay in memory in recent apps, when I come back to an app I just left it will refresh or act like I am just opening the app for the first time.

Anyone else experience these bugs?

Yes. I've been rebooting daily which has helped this.

• Like 1

Try Textra for SMS/MMS.  It's pretty amazing, I was reluctant to use something different, but Textra works with sending MMS over WiFi (in MMS settings in Textra, pick prefer WiFi). 

Agreed on the camera opening and pictures for sure.  My pics are coming out far clearer, even in lower light.

I will try Textra. I was using google messenger for a couple of hours but I hated the layout.

I received the update this morning. Haven't installed yet. Just by reading everything here, should I just hold off for now?