Samsung Galaxy S5 User Thread

LuisBOSS302

So how confident are you guys in the GS5's water resistance? I went to Aquatica in Orlando last weekend and was pretty surprised on how many people were taking selfies as they went down the larger water rides. I took the water resistance as peace of mind if it rains, but I don't know if I could ever submerge a ~$700 phone.

I just used my s5 for my ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.

Waterproof galaxy s5 ALS Ice Bucket Challenge:

Anyone have any experiences with fixing a broken GS5 screen? Can it be done at home? Is it hard? Expensive? My friend's phone dropped about 3 feet and landed face down. Even with a case, the floor won (just like vegas, the floor always wins)

I just did this.  I was walking by the truck with mine in my cargo shorts, which banged into the door... right on the corner of the screen in the perfect spot to spider crack the whole upper left.  Yes, I had my case on. 

I watched various youtube videos that showed the repair, I watched them repeatedly to ensure I was wholly capable of the repair.  I ordered a replacement screen/lcd of the ebay (my lcd was working, but I knew the process of removing the broken screen would likely destroy the lcd, and boy was I right).  I ordered a three dollar new adhesive for the re-sealing process.  My boy and I took our time to ensure nothing got further screwed up.  The process took a couple of very anal retentive and overly careful hours, you could do it under an hour if you weren't as ocd as me.  Careful with that heat gun, apply heat slowly and don't overheat.

The lcd/screen cost about 150 to 165... but those mall places will charge you upwards of 300 for this phone and they WILL NOT be careful to avoid giving you bonus dings and scratches.

The repair is not guaranteed to be water-resistant, but I very confident my repair is every bit as good as the factory job, and will be just as water resistant.  PM me if you want me to link the videos I thought were most helpful, good luck!

I've recently been having problems with my Galaxy S5 not allowing screenshots saying USB storage is already in use or apps not opening and when I try to send a report I get an error saying no available space on the device. I have emptied out unused apps, moved available ones to USB storage, and cleaned out media and I now have more problems than before with this. The biggest nuisance though is that when I get MMS, they show as downloading in the message thread, then it disappears and I get a message from Unknown Address with the message 4504:Message not found. I've searched online and seen many posts with unanswered endings regarding this issue. Could this be a faulty phone in the making or is this a problem on the carrier side and just coincidental with my other phone issues? I have a stock unrooted phone.

I've recently been having problems with my Galaxy S5 not allowing screenshots saying USB storage is already in use or apps not opening and when I try to send a report I get an error saying no available space on the device. I have emptied out unused apps, moved available ones to USB storage, and cleaned out media and I now have more problems than before with this. The biggest nuisance though is that when I get MMS, they show as downloading in the message thread, then it disappears and I get a message from Unknown Address with the message 4504:Message not found. I've searched online and seen many posts with unanswered endings regarding this issue. Could this be a faulty phone in the making or is this a problem on the carrier side and just coincidental with my other phone issues? I have a stock unrooted phone.

Which messenger are you using? I had this on a Galaxy S3 with Go SMS and all I needed to do was select the option that marked all messages as read. I never looked in to the root of the issue, just know that this fixed it for me each time it happened.

I just did this. I was walking by the truck with mine in my cargo shorts, which banged into the door... right on the corner of the screen in the perfect spot to spider crack the whole upper left. Yes, I had my case on.

I watched various youtube videos that showed the repair, I watched them repeatedly to ensure I was wholly capable of the repair. I ordered a replacement screen/lcd of the ebay (my lcd was working, but I knew the process of removing the broken screen would likely destroy the lcd, and boy was I right). I ordered a three dollar new adhesive for the re-sealing process. My boy and I took our time to ensure nothing got further screwed up. The process took a couple of very anal retentive and overly careful hours, you could do it under an hour if you weren't as ocd as me. Careful with that heat gun, apply heat slowly and don't overheat.

The lcd/screen cost about 150 to 165... but those mall places will charge you upwards of 300 for this phone and they WILL NOT be careful to avoid giving you bonus dings and scratches.

The repair is not guaranteed to be water-resistant, but I very confident my repair is every bit as good as the factory job, and will be just as water resistant. PM me if you want me to link the videos I thought were most helpful, good luck!

Got it fixed for $100 at a cellphone repair shop. Im sure the phone is no longer waterproof, but oh well. I dont plan on using it near water anyways.

But is it me, or does this screen glass just seem weaker than most other phones? I treated my S3 like dog crap and never broke. I dropped it flat faced several times by accident and the screen never broke (with a Greatshield case). The S5 fell 2 feet from a coffee table and the screen shattered with the same Greatshield case.

Has anyone had an issue where your GS5 will completely lose signal for about a minute?  This has happened to me twice (once while driving and once while standing still).  I will be on LTE, usually listening to streaming music, when the phone completely loses signal (no LTE, 3G or roaming).  I get a red X by my bars.  This will last for about a minute.  Then it eventually finds 3G.  Then eventually finds LTE.

During this minute, I can not make calls or access the internet.

Has anyone had an issue where your GS5 will completely lose signal for about a minute?  This has happened to me twice (once while driving and once while standing still).  I will be on LTE, usually listening to streaming music, when the phone completely loses signal (no LTE, 3G or roaming).  I get a red X by my bars.  This will last for about a minute.  Then it eventually finds 3G.  Then eventually finds LTE.

During this minute, I can not make calls or access the internet.

I've seen that a time or two, but I've attributed it to the network.  I'm in an area where there has been plenty of NV activity since I got this phone upon it's release in April.

Pretty excited about this new development with my S5.  There's something that has slid down in front of the FFC, hard to see in that picture, but you can see the effect in the second picture.......I've already set up repair with Samsung, just waiting until Monday to ship it in.  Back to an S3 for me for 9-11 days. :(

kglVY1K.jpg?1

zqM3HEX.jpg?1

help with GS5 personal dictionary

i have never had a problem finding it on previous android phones. i want to remove a few words i mistakenly saved but i cant find it anywhere. can you help me find it?

Edited by COZisBack
Merged Topic

Got it fixed for $100 at a cellphone repair shop. Im sure the phone is no longer waterproof, but oh well. I dont plan on using it near water anyways.

But is it me, or does this screen glass just seem weaker than most other phones? I treated my S3 like dog crap and never broke. I dropped it flat faced several times by accident and the screen never broke (with a Greatshield case). The S5 fell 2 feet from a coffee table and the screen shattered with the same Greatshield case.

So my wife just called to inform me she dropped her S5. Says the screen shattered so bad that she can feel the cracks with her fingers.

I've used a local place in the mall before, and I just called and they want $200 to replace the glass/lcd.  What a pain...

And my wife says on the phone, "what's wrong are you upset?" :wall:

So my wife just called to inform me she dropped her S5. Says the screen shattered so bad that she can feel the cracks with her fingers.

I've used a local place in the mall before, and I just called and they want $200 to replace the glass/lcd. What a pain...

And my wife says on the phone, "what's wrong are you upset?" :wall:

Have you called a corporate Sprint Service & Repair store to check repair prices? I thought they had some flat rate screen repair price.

I'd be curious to know what Sammy direct charges as well. Good luck!!

Have you called a corporate Sprint Service & Repair store to check repair prices? I thought they had some flat rate screen repair price.

I'd be curious to know what Sammy direct charges as well. Good luck!!

I just called today and they said Sprint doesn't do the repairs anymore unless it is through the insurance company

I just called today and they said Sprint doesn't do the repairs anymore unless it is through the insurance company

That's not right? Did you call a Sprint repair facility? They're third party owned stores with Sprint signage and such. The corporate stores don't do repairs anymore for sure.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

That's not right? Did you call a Sprint repair facility? They're third party owned stores with Sprint signage and such. The corporate stores don't do repairs anymore for sure.

just went to sprint's site, called the closest "repair" store to me. They said "we don't repair screens anymore", you'll probably have to go to a local screen repair store.

just went to sprint's site, called the closest "repair" store to me. They said "we don't repair screens anymore", you'll probably have to go to a local screen repair store.

Well that's silly. Let us know where you end up getting it fixed!

Well that's silly. Let us know where you end up getting it fixed!

I've got a "cell phone repair" type store that I used to replace a cracked screen on a GS2 a couple years back. I'll probably go there - they're the ones who quoted me $200.

I called a friend that's a tech a Sprint and was told they no longer offer an option if your screen is busted; gotta go through insurance or SOL.

Although, if you're within 30 days of activation, you can still add insurance.....

• 2 weeks later...

Guys I need help. My galaxy s5 got condensation and its turning on but screen stays black. Occasional flash of random dots on screen. Buttons all work as far as I can tell. Is there something I can get to hook it up to an external display?

Also guys I got a new galaxy s5 today and there is no way ti enable roaming? Anybody else notice this? Its the gold colored s5 running 4.4.2.

Guys I need help. My galaxy s5 got condensation and its turning on but screen stays black. Occasional flash of random dots on screen. Buttons all work as far as I can tell. Is there something I can get to hook it up to an external display?

I always thought about getting an mhl adapter it's a charging port to HDMI adapter. You could hook it up to a PC and use adb if your trying to pull stuff from it.
  • Like 1

Also guys I got a new galaxy s5 today and there is no way ti enable roaming? Anybody else notice this? Its the gold colored s5 running 4.4.2.

Settings > Network Connections > More networks > Roaming

• Like 2