Samsung Galaxy S5 User Thread

LuisBOSS302

I picked up an s5 yesterday and have an interesting problem. more like annoying. i have a notification for voicemail that wont go away. when i click it, it doesnt take me to the voicemail app. It takes me to the phone and dials my voicemail. the thing is there are no messages.

I have reset the data for the voicemail app. I have reset the data for the badge provider service. i have left myself a message and deleted it. the phone says the message is part of the phone app itself if that helps solve this. any help would be appreciated.

https://plus.google.com/114721707153992450318/posts/Gg9UDMZsagF sums it up nicely. On paper the S5 is great. The screen is gorgeous, it is fast, rf seems to be pretty decent, really nice camera, but touchwiz is still ok at best.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I dont want samsung to make it more like stock Android, Stock android is boring

That's amazing really. I heard they weren't supporting ART until next iteration of Android.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I am running ART on my S5, running good, havnt ran into any problems yet.

• Like 2

I used to get a -92dBm average signal in the same spot with my S4T.

Did SCP work with your S4T? (if yes, Modded  and/or stock?)  Great to see SCP working with S5.  thanks

I was wondering if there is a break in time for LTE on the GS5???  I was in an area that I received LTE previously here in Jacksonville on my GS3 but I upgraded to GS5 today and so far I do not get the LTE...  How do I tell which LTE I'm getting since Jacksonville is a SPARK area???

I was wondering if there is a break in time for LTE on the GS5???  I was in an area that I received LTE previously here in Jacksonville on my GS3 but I upgraded to GS5 today and so far I do not get the LTE...  How do I tell which LTE I'm getting since Jacksonville is a SPARK area???

SignalCheck or the "enginerring" screen

It does seem like it tries to hold a better signal than my s3, but my signal indicator shows 1 bar signal strength indoor and outdoor(usually) unless i'm within 1/4th of a mile from the tower.

Recently I was laying on the ground under my car and the phone kept going into roaming where my s3 wouldn't..

I'm assuming i'm not the only one having LTE signal issues with my s5?

Read my previous post. I am seriously thinking about going back to my S4T. I thought it was a lemon but other CDMA carrier users on Android Central report weaker signals. If I put it in my pocket in certain places I drop to 3G where I was just getting 4G with my S4T. So it could be a grip thing too. But over the Band 25 signal is 6-8dBm weaker than my S4T.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I'm assuming i'm not the only one having LTE signal issues with my s5?

I'm not having any issues, but I'm coming from an HTC EVO 4G LTE, so this phone gets LTE in places I've never seen it before, and it seems to hang onto the signal way longer than the EVO.  If the S4T is better than this phone, then the EVO would be pathetic in comparison.

• Like 1

I have yet to see my 5S connect to 4G LTE here in downtown Atlanta and the northern suburbs.  3G only.  I just upgraded from the WiMax-based Galaxy S2.  It's frustrating to get such worse data performance out of the gate.  Is mine a dud, too?

I'm also in downtown Atlanta, and found the phone was stuck on 3g when I got to work. Restarted the phone and it picked up LTE, although it's weaker than my S3 was last week. Still works though.

I have yet to see my 5S connect to 4G LTE here in downtown Atlanta and the northern suburbs.  3G only.  I just upgraded from the WiMax-based Galaxy S2.  It's frustrating to get such worse data performance out of the gate.  Is mine a dud, too?

The typos of S5 versus 5S in all these posts are becoming annoying........ :)

Obvious question, are you sure that you have LTE enabled?  You may also be running into eCSFB issues?  Just a couple things to check.

• Like 1

Yeah, sorry about that, Galaxy S5 is what I meant.  Yes, the CDMA/LTE option was checked.  I tried updating the profile and PRL while at home in the suburbs with no luck.  I just called Sprint tech support and they had me do it again now that I'm at work in the middle of downtown.  She also did some kind of line re-provisioning from her end, and all of a sudden it seems like the issue is fixed.  The Spark icon has shown up for the first time ever, and is fluctuating between one bar and nearly full bars.  Haven't seen the 3G icon since.  Ran Speedtest before my call and got .4 mbps up and .16 down on 3G.  After the call, I peaked at 22+ mbps down and 1.5 up.  Signifcant difference and what I had been hoping for all along.

Happy now.

• Like 2

Anyone have the MSL code? Trying to force LTE in Denver since the csfb fix isn't finished yet

Your MSL code is your MSL code.  Like a snowflake, there is not another like it.  There are appz for that in the Play Store that might work, or might not, to retrieve it for your device.  Eitherway, you can call Sprint CS and get it if you are unable to retrieve it.

Edited by mmark27

Android system and android OS are huge battery drainers. Tried fixing it this whole weekend but no luck...

Care to define that a bit more?  Those two items are vague as to what is causing the "drain".  If you post some battery screen shots with how much on screen time you have, it might help some.  Also, with new phones as you probably already know, you really need to give it a couple days for all of your accounts to sync and such.  Usually the first 24 - 72 hours is cray with things updating and resyncing, contacts syncing, facebook syncing, location syncing/reporting, etc. etc. and those all show up as Android system issues.

I'm not saying you don't have a unique issue, just saying that sometimes the early days are a little misleading on these battery drainers.  Not sure what you're doing to attempt to "fix" it but things like better battery stats cause their own wake locks, if you're using that.  Things like Juice Defender are worthless as well.  You can see if you're not getting the device to deep sleep by using something like CPUSpy, which doesn't cause wake locks. That means you'll have to charge the phone up, then let it sit there off the charger for a couple hours and not play with it.  Seems like an impossible task with a new phone.