Samsung Galaxy S5 User Thread

LuisBOSS302

The S4 had issues with enforcing a dock mode due to voltage requirements of the USB and the new "home" modes of Android 4.2+. There are a bazillion threads on it over at XDA. I'm certain that enforcing a dock mode with a car dock (ie, click phone in and a new screen pops up like it did with the S3) is a thing of the past. And wouldn't be surprised if the S5 lacked it too. It would be best to use Trigger or something to recognize your car Bluetooth and enforce dock mode. Or some other sort of trigger.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

The S4 had issues with enforcing a dock mode due to voltage requirements of the USB and the new "home" modes of Android 4.2+. There are a bazillion threads on it over at XDA. I'm certain that enforcing a dock mode with a car dock (ie, click phone in and a new screen pops up like it did with the S3) is a thing of the past. And wouldn't be surprised if the S5 lacked it too. It would be best to use Trigger or something to recognize your car Bluetooth and enforce dock mode. Or some other sort of trigger.

I'm not really asking anything about triggering it.....I'm more interested in verifying that it exists in the Sprint S5 and if so, the functionality of the driving mode itself.

• Like 1

I got the S5 and the screen is gorgeous. The only thing is the rf performance is slightly worst than my S4T by 4-6dBm on average. Maybe a future update will fix it. The default setting is Global by the way.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm not really asking anything about triggering it.....I'm more interested in verifying that it exists in the Sprint S5 and if so, the functionality of the driving mode itself.

Gotcha, sorry. Misunderstood the question.

I got the S5 for my brother today and played with it.  Very impressed.  LTE signal isn't quite as strong as N5, but it's a hair stronger than the G2 (only tested Band 25.)

My initial gripe was that my universal USB car charger doesn't fit it.  Samsung has apparently changed the way the USB port is shaped and limited the amount of chargers it supports. 

Aside from that, the size, shape, and software is nifty.  I dislike Knox as well, but I knew that prior to picking up the device.  

P.S. Ain't got nothin' on my G2.  :ninja:

• Like 1

No one laugh but I'm interested in a comparison of RF performance between the S3 and the S5. Obviously only on the bands in common.

As far as everything else it looks like the S5 is a night and day improvement to the S3.

No one laugh but I'm interested in a comparison of RF performance between the S3 and the S5. Obviously only on the bands in common.

As far as everything else it looks like the S5 is a night and day improvement to the S3.

The galaxy s5 is supposedly in the range between the LG g2 and Nexus 5 so about 10-15 dBm better than the gs3 at the same spot

Sent from my Nexus 5

I got the S5 for my brother today and played with it. Very impressed. LTE signal isn't quite as strong as N5, but it's a hair stronger than the G2 (only tested Band 25.)

My initial gripe was that my universal USB car charger doesn't fit it. Samsung has apparently changed the way the USB port is shaped and limited the amount of chargers it supports.

Aside from that, the size, shape, and software is nifty. I dislike Knox as well, but I knew that prior to picking up the device.

P.S. Ain't got nothin' on my G2. :ninja:

Usb 3.0 will still accept a regular micro usb charger. It will just charge a little slower. Was there a case on the phone partially blocking the port?

Usb 3.0 will still accept a regular micro usb charger. It will just charge a little slower. Was there a case on the phone partially blocking the port?

No case. I've had two chargers not fit in it. My LG G2 charger and Samsung works, the RocketFish rapid charger I got from BBY didn't fit and my older Micro USB charger doesn't work (forget what phone it came from. Lol)

But all four chargers (aside from the new Samsung charger) works on my G2.

Sent from my LG-LS980

This phone charges lightning fast. Really impressed! Tested lte in the south bay and it was a bit spotty with B41

Battery life is goos but android os and android system are the two major sources of battery drainage.

The phone is super fast and so far haven't had any lags with TouchWiz or in general

Has anyone started running ART? I'd be interested to see how the battery life goes on ART vs dalvik on this phone.

I was under the impression it didn't have ART, like the S4.

Galaxy note 2 vers galaxy s 5 rf. S5 has 5dbm better than note but both signal are same some times , then s5 drop lower after awhile. Speed test with bad signal -115 galaxy note 2 3.0 to 4.5 megs down and galaxy s5 had same siganl and pulled 7.5 to 10 megs down. Going baltimore and dc today check band 41 speeds.

Has anyone started running ART? I'd be interested to see how the battery life goes on ART vs dalvik on this phone.

I saw this question asked on XDA too, and I have to ask....what is ART?

Edit:  Nevermind, I finally found it once I stopped doing searches associated with Samsung and Galaxy S and switched to Android.  For anyone else in the dark as well, here you go:

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/the-art-of-android/

• Like 1

Ah, you can go do Developer mode and turn it on.

Go to Settings>About Device 

Tap on Build number 6 or 7 times, it will turn on Developer Mode

Go back to Settings and Develop Options appears

Can change from Dalvik to ART.  (I haven't tried this)

Ah, you can go do Developer mode and turn it on.

Go to Settings>About Device

Tap on Build number 6 or 7 times, it will turn on Developer Mode

Go back to Settings and Develop Options appears

Can change from Dalvik to ART. (I haven't tried this)

I know how to do it.

Is the option even there is the main concern.

I know how to do it.

Is the option even there is the main concern.

Yes.

That's amazing really. I heard they weren't supporting ART until next iteration of Android.

Would like to see a signalcheck pro screenshot of an LTE site from the g5. Thanks

sent by tapatalk from my LS-980 (G2)

• Like 1