Samsung Galaxy S5 User Thread

LuisBOSS302

Well, this users thread is off to a fascinating start.

;)

AJ

• Like 2

Reposting from the other thread for those who have acquired the S5:

I'll apologize in advance if this is a stupid question (and I say that because I have never owned an S3 or S4 previously to have any sort of previous-gen insight if there's a Samsung equivalent that basically carries over each generation starting with the S3), but whether or not any of you have already found and bought a car dock for your S5, can you tell or speak to whether or not it has a different car/vehicle 'dock mode' and what the presentation of it looks like?  Thanks.

Here is how well SG5 performs on my Google Fiber and Sprint Spark at home. The top 3 results are Google Fiber over WiFi, the bottom 3 are Sprint Spark.

So no issues acquiring band 41 for you? What phone did you have prior to this? Much improved?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Did any of you guys get the wrong rebate form when they sent it to you? The one I received in the box says it expired on 3/13/14. Do you know if I should use that one or the new one on the sprint website that says 5/8/14? Neither of them have the GS5 listed. 

Just played with the s5 at best buy. Have to admit the phone feels solid. The plastic I thought was going to be a big thing for me, but the back dimples of the phone and softer feel are nice. The screen quality is amazing, and so is the responsiveness. One thing I hate though was that ugly keyboard style. I'm not sure if that's the demo keyboard or something, but that would have to go!

From an apple user, I give it 4/5. 1 star short for me because it's a little bigger than I would want.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

One thing I hate though was that ugly keyboard style. I'm not sure if that's the demo keyboard or something, but that would have to go!

From an apple user, I give it 4/5. 1 star short for me because it's a little bigger than I would want.

The nice thing about Android is that you can choose from dozens of different kinds of keyboards to download.  All kinds of styles.

• Like 1

Just played with the s5 at best buy. Have to admit the phone feels solid. The plastic I thought was going to be a big thing for me, but the back dimples of the phone and softer feel are nice. The screen quality is amazing, and so is the responsiveness. One thing I hate though was that ugly keyboard style. I'm not sure if that's the demo keyboard or something, but that would have to go!

One of my favorite features of Android is the ability to switch keyboards.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The nice thing about Android is that you can choose from dozens of different kinds of keyboards to download. All kinds of styles.

Derp. Yeh the one that was on there looked like it was made in microsoft paint. Lmao.

I forgot android can switch keyboards

First thing I will install is Nova launcher and SwiftKey. How's the new touchwiz?

https://plus.google.com/114721707153992450318/posts/Gg9UDMZsagF sums it up nicely. On paper the S5 is great. The screen is gorgeous, it is fast, rf seems to be pretty decent, really nice camera, but touchwiz is still ok at best.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I thought the same thing when I first got a 5 inch screen. After about a week it was 2nd nature and now I could never go back. You'll love it. And wonder how you ever coped before.

I just spent a few hours with the gs5 and it's pretty nice and the back really isn't that bad at all. As far as lte and RF performance, the nexus 5 is still top dog by far. I will say that it is ever so slightly better than the m8. The location I was in when playing with the device was perfect for testing out RF performance. All three devices were connected to the same sector(band 25), my m8 was averaging about -104db while the gs5 averaged about -102db and to me that's not a big enough difference to get excited or disappointed about. My Nexus on the other hand was averaging about -96db.

Edit:  I need to add that this was just being connected to lte and not an active connection.  With an active data session all three improved slightly with the n5 in first but the m8 was slightly better than the gs5 but not by much.

• Like 2

Here is how well SG5 performs on my Google Fiber and Sprint Spark at home.  The top 3 results are Google Fiber over WiFi, the bottom 3 are Sprint Spark.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3812896/Pics/Android/GFiber%20Sprint%20SG5.png

SCHWEET!

I just spent a few hours with the gs5 and it's pretty nice and the back really isn't that bad at all. As far as lte and RF performance, the nexus 5 is still top dog by far. I will say that it is ever so slightly better than the m8. The location I was in when playing with the device was perfect for testing out RF performance. All three devices were connected to the same sector(band 25), my m8 was averaging about -104db while the gs5 averaged about -102db and to me that's not a big enough difference to get excited or disappointed about. My Nexus on the other hand was averaging about -96db.

Edit: I need to add that this was just being connected to lte and not an active connection. With an active data session the n5 was still in first but the m8 was slightly better than the gs5 but not by much.

Thanks for sharing this. Some posts on here made me feel like I made a mistake because this M8 really can't hold a signal for Lte at all.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing this. Some posts on here made me feel like I made a mistake because this M8 really can't hold a signal for Lte at all.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

If lte is your number one priority then the nexus 5 is a no brainer but between the gs5 and the m8, I don't see anything substantial to recommend one over the other  but then again this is just my experience and could vary from situation to situation or user to user.

I went for S5 because I wanted removable batter and SD slot. I can also hide emergency $20 bill under battery cover.

I'm totally going to steal that 20

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

i got the S5 yesterday, and i love it.

Screen is great, good camera, like the new Touchwiz(i find stock android boring)

The fingerprint scanner works everytime for me. glad i upgraded to it. 

• Like 2

Reposting from the other thread for those who have acquired the S5:

I'll apologize in advance if this is a stupid question (and I say that because I have never owned an S3 or S4 previously to have any sort of previous-gen insight if there's a Samsung equivalent that basically carries over each generation starting with the S3), but whether or not any of you have already found and bought a car dock for your S5, can you tell or speak to whether or not it has a different car/vehicle 'dock mode' and what the presentation of it looks like?  Thanks.

Ok, I was able to track down a copy of the manual via the SamMobile site here:

http://www.sammobile.com/2014/04/02/samsung-galaxy-s5-manual-now-available-online/

And starting on page 128 it has a section on 'Car mode'....it claims you go into the quick settings panel and then check it to enable it.  As this appears to be an EU manual and it also states that 'this app may not be available depending on the region or service provider', can someone check and confirm whether (a.) this does indeed exist on the Sprint variant, and if so, (1b.) can you test it to see if it is locked to only the Samsung solutions for messaging or if you can associate to 3rd party apps such as Handcent, and (2b.) What option(s) does pressing 'Music' give you?