HTC One M8 User Thread

themuffinman

A very big THANK YOU to themuffinman :tu:  I downloaded and use the Helium app and was able to transfer all data from our EVO LTE phones to the new HTC ONE M8.  The application worked so well I purchased the pro key to help out the author.  And we all know when the wife is Happy everybody is happy.

Awesome, glad to be of service.

• Like 1

Has anybody enabled the Android Runtime (ART) over Dalvik?  I'm considering giving it a try.  I assume that if HTC allows it in the first place then at least the basics should work.

A very big THANK YOU to themuffinman :tu:  I downloaded and use the Helium app and was able to transfer all data from our EVO LTE phones to the new HTC ONE M8.  The application worked so well I purchased the pro key to help out the author.  And we all know when the wife is Happy everybody is happy.

same here. i did exactly the same thing. it saved me hours of work by not having to re-configure apps back to the way i had them. bought the pro version. i wish i had this when i upgraded my wifes phone. it took me hours to get all her apps back on and the way she wanted them, and then sprint re-provisioned the phone for some reason, and i had to do it again. this app would have saved me HOURS!

• Like 2

Has anybody enabled the Android Runtime (ART) over Dalvik?  I'm considering giving it a try.  I assume that if HTC allows it in the first place then at least the basics should work.

OK, I went ahead and did it.  It consumed over 10% of the battery while it rebooted and optimized all 282 installed apps.  Beware, the more apps you have installed, the longer it will take to reboot and optimize all the installed apps!  The CPU must have been working overtime during the reboot and optimize process as the back was warm to the touch once it finished.

I'm guessing I won't notice much difference either way since the M8 is already so fast.  I'll try it for a while and then decide if I want to head back to Dalvik.

If a Sprint store gets some in stock before the 10th you think there's a chance they might sell me one since its a outright price?

Sent from my LG G2 on the Now Network

Over the last few years I have had issues buying phones out right from sprint retail locations.  They usually like to keep stock for those signing contracts and encourage those who want to buy it out right to do so from sprint.com.

Over the last few years I have had issues buying phones out right from sprint retail locations. They usually like to keep stock for those signing contracts and encourage those who want to buy it out right to do so from sprint.com.

Same for my G2, the guy turned down cash in hand for it. I would think it would help there commission some. I'll try when I sell my Note 2, and of they won't me one I'll go to one I know who will. Because I had to buy a phone(boss paid for it since his broke) out right since I finally broke him from ios to his current G2.

Can anyone verify if there is supposed to be a lens cover on the front facing camera?  Don't know if mine is missing or if that's the way it came.  Looks like it should be flush with the rest of the screen.

Can anyone verify if there is supposed to be a lens cover on the front facing camera?  Don't know if mine is missing or if that's the way it came.  Looks like it should be flush with the rest of the screen.

Yes, there is one.

Same for my G2, the guy turned down cash in hand for it. I would think it would help there commission some. I'll try when I sell my Note 2, and of they won't me one I'll go to one I know who will. Because I had to buy a phone(boss paid for it since his broke) out right since I finally broke him from ios to his current G2.

Sprint or any other carrier for that matter doesn't really make that much money(if any at all) by selling a device outright.  They make their money by getting people to sign contracts and if commissions are made I am sure its based on the contract and not the device.

• Like 3

If a Sprint store gets some in stock before the 10th you think there's a chance they might sell me one since its a outright price?

If you're looking to buy it outright I don't think you would need to wait until the 10th. I almost pulled the trigger on one over the phone on the day it was announced, but decided that I didn't feel like spending $700 on a phone at the moment. It'll be much easier on the wallet to do Easy Pay. But yeah you should be able to just go to Sprint.com and purchase online. If not, then over the phone will definitely work.

Just got mines today.  Had ordered on Saturday.  Side to side comparison with my single band 25 S4, the M8 cannot get LTE where I can get on the S4.  How is this possible?  I did notice on the 1xRTT is better on the M8 by 5db.  Anyone have similar results?

Phenomenal Data Speeds.
rating.gif

Posted by: userzero
from Minneapolis
on 03/29/2014
Call Quality
ratingSecondary.gif

Picture Quality
ratingSecondary.gif

Battery Life
ratingSecondary.gif

Value for Price
ratingSecondary.gif

Sound Quality
ratingSecondary.gif

What's great about it: Picks up LTE in areas where none of my other phones can.
I've got a nexus 5 and a Moto X on Sprint and neither of them can even connect to LTE where I live. My Galaxy Tab connects occasionally but it's best speed is 2.69 Mbp/s on the rare occasion that it does. With this phone I'm getting 29.48 Mbp/s download speeds here even with just one bar on the signal meter.. I'm extremely impressed with the RF performance of this Device.
This product is...
  • Replaced my MP3 player
  •  
  • Easy navigation
  •  
  • Replaced my camera
  •  
  • Tough/durable
About me...
  • My phone is my life
  •  
  • Heavy apps user
  •  
  • Need phone to keep me organized
I would recommend this to a friend!
Phone size:Just right

Found this review on Best Buy. I know what everyone else has been saying about the M8 on Sg4ru so I am not really sure how this account of RF performance stacks up to reality but I did find it interesting and wish it was true for everyone that had one. If this was the norm I think I would have to yield to my temptation of purchasing the M8. I really miss my HTC phones !

Sprint or any other carrier for that matter doesn't really make that much money(if any at all) by selling a device outright. They make their money by getting people to sign contracts and if commissions are made I am sure its based on the contract and not the device.

Yeah but contracts are only for old plans. This way of thinking needs to change.

Yeah but contracts are only for old plans. This way of thinking needs to change.

It will change if the market wants it to change, and even then it won't happen overnight.  The north american market is totally different from the rest of the world.  These companies want their customers locked in, whether through a service contract or a device contract.

At home my S4 on LTE is a few db better than M8!!!  :td:

At work, forced M8 to LTE mode only no go.  Can pickup LTE on my S4.. Hmm.. Possible defective RF?

My phone loves Band 41 but hates Band 25. In fact, both my Band 41 and Band 25 are coming form the same site. But for some reason, my phone won't connect to Band 25 at home. Everywhere else, it picks up B25 easily.

My phone loves Band 41 but hates Band 25. In fact, both my Band 41 and Band 25 are coming form the same site. But for some reason, my phone won't connect to Band 25 at home. Everywhere else, it picks up B25 easily.

Overcrowded? 

• Like 1

At work, forced M8 to LTE mode only no go. Can pickup LTE on my S4.. Hmm.. Possible defective RF?

Same story for me. I took it to sprint asking for a replacement and they swear up and down its the network.