HTC One M8 User Thread

themuffinman

I'm having swipe text issues since the Lollipop update. Sometimes I'll swipe a word and it won't show up and it will happen several times. I had no issues before this. Anyone experience this or have a fix? 

Right now, I fairly ticked off at Sprint. Installing the update, completely borked my phone, and caused it to be 'soft bricked'

The software update downloaded and installed, but during the reboot, the phone COMPLETELY froze on the HTC One splash screen.

Luckily, a coworker of mine was able to finally get into Recovery, and force a complete Factory Reset.

I have now been spending a lot of time over the past two weeks trying to reinstall everything that was lost.

My coworker friend and I have been wondering what caused the phone to become 'Soft Bricked', and we both think that the cause was the crappie Sprint Connections Optimizer having been frozen. It appears that the software update checked for the presence of the Sprint Connections Optimizer, and when it didn't find it, the software update locked up the phone.

So the point of this post, other than to rant, is that everyone should be very careful to make sure that all of the stock apps that came with your phone are updated and running before you take the OTA update.

Did you re-add it?  I've had to do that a few times after OTAs for various phones.

Yeah. Thats my next step. Just wanted to see if this was a known issue. The odd thing is my car is still in my Bluetooth list. Curious.

Yeah. Thats my next step. Just wanted to see if this was a known issue. The odd thing is my car is still in my Bluetooth list. Curious.

I had a similar problem after the OTA. What I had to do was completely delete all phones from my system in my car, and then re-pair my phone to the car.
  • Like 1

So the point of this post, other than to rant, is that everyone should be very careful to make sure that all of the stock apps that came with your phone are updated and running before you take the OTA update.

Is the connection optimizer an app that can be uninstalled without rooting? I don't have an M8 handy, but on my G3, I can't uninstall it, just turn it off. 

Is the connection optimizer an app that can be uninstalled without rooting? I don't have an M8 handy, but on my G3, I can't uninstall it, just turn it off. 

I can't uninstall mine... Curiously, i have 2 apps called Connections Optimizer.  One is the Sprint Connections Optimizer, the other is just called Connections Optimizer...

I can't uninstall mine... Curiously, i have 2 apps called Connections Optimizer. One is the Sprint Connections Optimizer, the other is just called Connections Optimizer...

You can try disabling those in apps if you're not rooted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can try disabling those in apps if you're not rooted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won't even let me dissable them (The Sprint Connections Optimizer at least).....  :(

• Like 1

My coworker friend and I have been wondering what caused the phone to become 'Soft Bricked', and we both think that the cause was the crappie Sprint Connections Optimizer having been frozen. It appears that the software update checked for the presence of the Sprint Connections Optimizer, and when it didn't find it, the software update locked up the phone.

So it would seem the app you removed cannot be removed without root. If you are rooted... you should never take an OTA update. I don't think this was Sprint's fault....

• Like 2

Battery drain seems to be getting worse. Down to about 58% now, phone has been on battery for under 5 hours. Android OS and System are at the top for usage. I haven't used it much today. Used to get a minimum 12 hours out of a charge, and never usually hit power save mode by the time I put it on the charger at night.... except recently.

This may not be anything. When I was having a substantial drain of battery life it turned out to be Google + being the culprit. When I did a fresh restore after the latest update, Google + was now active. I never really used it before. After disabling it battery life has returned to strong normal.

• Like 1

This may not be anything. When I was having a substantial drain of battery life it turned out to be Google + being the culprit. When I did a fresh restore after the latest update, Google + was now active. I never really used it before. After disabling it battery life has returned to strong normal.

That may have been it.  I've been on battery for almost 9 hours and I'm currently at 62%.  Thanks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody have any charging port issues with the M8 yet?  Seems like mine's works when it feels like it.  Tried several different cables and the same thing happens.

Anybody have any charging port issues with the M8 yet?  Seems like mine's works when it feels like it.  Tried several different cables and the same thing happens.

Nope, no problems. I'm using the HTC branded QuickCharger.

Anybody have any charging port issues with the M8 yet? Seems like mine's works when it feels like it. Tried several different cables and the same thing happens.

Mine stopped working a couple months ago. Would only work when the cable was at a certain angle. I bought a replacement port on ebay for $15 and took my phone apart and put the new one in. The whole thing took about 15 minutes.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well my HTC M8 completely croaked on Friday. It was working just fine in the morning, but around lunchtime I went to the the kitchen in the office where I work, and when I got back to my desk, the phone was stone-cold dead. No screen and no LED lights.

I tried all of the known Reboot procedures, and nothing worked. So as a last ditch effort, I called HTC, and amazingly my phone is still under warranty.

So I have reactivated my old M7 and am shipping off my M8 the the HTC repair shop.

Hopefully the HTC repair shop can figure out what went wrong with the phone.

Well my HTC M8 completely croaked on Friday. It was working just fine in the morning, but around lunchtime I went to the the kitchen in the office where I work, and when I got back to my desk, the phone was stone-cold dead. No screen and no LED lights.

I tried all of the known Reboot procedures, and nothing worked. So as a last ditch effort, I called HTC, and amazingly my phone is still under warranty.

So I have reactivated my old M7 and am shipping off my M8 the the HTC repair shop.

Hopefully the HTC repair shop can figure out what went wrong with the phone.

Did you try holding the power button, volume up, and volume down for 30 seconds? This happened to my M8 and I had to do that to get it working again. Apparently it recalibrates the battery

• Like 1

Did you try holding the power button, volume up, and volume down for 30 seconds? This happened to my M8 and I had to do that to get it working again. Apparently it recalibrates the battery

Yup...I did...Nothing happened.

Honestly, the phone had been actually a little odd lately anyways.

A few weeks ago, the screen completely froze and I had to do a hard reboot.