HTC One M8 User Thread

themuffinman

My phone is still listed as waiting for UPS pickup

The status updates are basically worthless, your phone probably hasn't been in Sprint's hands at all.  UPS handles almost all of Sprint's orders in Louisville.  I'm not really sure why the status can be so wrong since UPS is generally pretty accurate but I experienced some frustration with that status last year and let Sprint know about it, when I got home my phone was waiting for me.  The status still hadn't changed.

The build quality is even better if that's even possible.  Well made device no doubt.

Yep.  This thing is gorgeous.  Now remember, I'm coming from an original Evo 4G, but wow.... this thing is beautiful.  It is really slippery though so be careful!  I dread the day I drop it for the first time because I refuse to defile my jewel with a case (I didn't have a case on the Evo either).

• Like 3

Can anybody comment on whether I should use the stock Messages application for text messaging or use Hangouts instead?  Remember I'm coming from Gingerbread so I haven't used Hangouts.  I don't really care, I just want to use the "best" or at least solicit what you guys like.

When I open Hangouts it asks if I want to use it as the default text messaging app.  I exit right there in case I don't like it and don't know how to get the default back to Messages!

Can anybody comment on whether I should use the stock Messages application for text messaging or use Hangouts instead? Remember I'm coming from Gingerbread so I haven't used Hangouts. I don't really care, I just want to use the "best" or at least solicit what you guys like.

When I open Hangouts it asks if I want to use it as the default text messaging app. I exit right there in case I don't like it and don't know how to get the default back to Messages!

Textra is by the far the best messaging app I've used to date.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I use 8 sms on my N5 and have even started using it on my G2 and N3 ad have never had any issues with it. It gives me a little bit more flexibility with options for sending messages and how the app looks.

I won't use hangouts for anything other than my work related hangouts. I dislike it that much.

OK, another dumb question.  I'm used to using Google Maps Navigation on Gingerbread.  When I open Navigation there and want directions to a destination, there is an option to select a destination from Contacts.

On the One, when I go into Maps and touch the curved arrow icon at the top to get directions, when I try to select the destination, I can only search.  I just want to select a destination from my Contacts.  How do I do that?  It was much easier on Gingerbread!

Does the debug or data menu allow you to switch LTE band priorities and have the LTE timeout period to edit?

Judging from the build.prop, it looks like the timer is set to 22 second intervals for LTE.  

# system property for RIL snapshot feature/timer

persist.radio.snapshot_enabled = 1

persist.radio.snapshot_timer = 22

# -SSD_RIL

Of course I get the one with the bad Sim card / reader. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't pay full price for it.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Any noticeable performance difference on LTE/3G on the M8 vs the N5 or One Max?

So far yes, now of course the n5 is still king of lte connectivity but I was pretty impressed with my One Max.  That was a lot better than the One(m7) but the Max was still about 5db or so worse than the n5.  The M8 seems to be similar to the max, maybe even slightly better which is great.  

Yep.  This thing is gorgeous.  Now remember, I'm coming from an original Evo 4G, but wow.... this thing is beautiful.  It is really slippery though so be careful!  I dread the day I drop it for the first time because I refuse to defile my jewel with a case (I didn't have a case on the Evo either).

Yeah, this device looks too good to hide in a case but I don't want to take any chances so I am using a clear tpu case right now.

Can anybody comment on whether I should use the stock Messages application for text messaging or use Hangouts instead?  Remember I'm coming from Gingerbread so I haven't used Hangouts.  I don't really care, I just want to use the "best" or at least solicit what you guys like.

When I open Hangouts it asks if I want to use it as the default text messaging app.  I exit right there in case I don't like it and don't know how to get the default back to Messages!

I like textra personally, it works great with features you will use without all the added bloat.

Placed my reservation at Best Buy today. Have to say I was impressed when the sales lady asked if I was looking for the M8.

That definitely odd, you don't really see too many sales people pushing htc products.

• Like 4

What is the stylized "N" looking icon in the top icon bar?  It's between the "no GPS" and "vibrate" icons on mine.  I have no idea what it is.  I don't think it's from an app I installed.

What is the stylized "N" looking icon in the top icon bar?  It's between the "no GPS" and "vibrate" icons on mine.  I have no idea what it is.  I don't think it's from an app I installed.

Thats your NFC symbol.

Anybody else have any RF observations to report. That will probably be the biggest factor in my decision. Form looks great, but function trumps all in my book

Anybody else have any RF observations to report. That will probably be the biggest factor in my decision. Form looks great, but function trumps all in my book

Coming from an evo, you will be very satisfied.

• Like 2

How about coming from a photon 4g?

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

I never owned a photon 4g so I can't really say.

Coming from an evo, you will be very satisfied.

Yeah, I love my EVO, but the RF performance drives me crazy sometimes, since I live pretty much at the fringe of all things cellular. Would like to have a phone that gets a decent signal for a change.

• Like 1

Yeah, I love my EVO, but the RF performance drives me crazy sometimes, since I live pretty much at the fringe of all things cellular. Would like to have a phone that gets a decent signal for a change.

I agree about the Evo being an awesome phone. At the same I'm hoping that the reception gains from switching from the Evo is true. UPS tracking has my new One out for delivery since 5AM. Killin' me smalls.