Sprint to do ok with LTE iPhone

legion125

the whole fact that Sprint was able to add more WiMax devices last year than Verizon was LTE devices is amazing to me! That fact should be an eye opener to people......

Though hopefully it doesn't send Sprint the message that they can get away with crap speeds for ever and "throttle" everyone after NV is live to keep their costs down. lol jkjk

• Like 1

the whole fact that Sprint was able to add more WiMax devices last year than Verizon was LTE devices is amazing to me! That fact should be an eye opener to people......

Though hopefully it doesn't send Sprint the message that they can get away with crap speeds for ever and "throttle" everyone after NV is live to keep their costs down. lol jkjk

Lmao the way things are going in this economy I wouldn't rule that out

Unlimited will end.... When it will end I don't know. I believe it's going to happen especially if att and Verizon keeps adding subscribers with tiered data. if alot of users start fleeing the big two in favor of unlimited Sprint will keep unlimited and maybe the big two will bring back their unlimited data plans.

IMHO this is a little misleading. The reason why sprint sold more wimax devices than verizon lte devices is because quite frankly sprint customers didn't have much as to chose from. Verizon has way more handsets to chose from, in addition to that, their number one selling phone was the iphone last year which obviously isn't lte. So I think that this particular stat is meaningless. If sprint had the iphone all of last year I can assure that this statistic would look totally different.

IMHO this is a little misleading. The reason why sprint sold more wimax devices than verizon lte devices is because quite frankly sprint customers didn't have much as to chose from. Verizon has way more handsets to chose from, in addition to that, their number one selling phone was the iphone last year which obviously isn't lte. So I think that this particular stat is meaningless. If sprint had the iphone all of last year I can assure that this statistic would look totally different.

I think Sgt was only referring to 4G phones, not all phones in either carriers offering.

The context of it is saying that customers are not motivated by the network for their smartphone purchases. So if sprint doesn't eol all their WiMax phones, we could still see them selling when LTE phones are released

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Unlimited will end.... When it will end I don't know. I believe it's going to happen especially if att and Verizon keeps adding subscribers with tiered data. if alot of users start fleeing the big two in favor of unlimited Sprint will keep unlimited and maybe the big two will bring back their unlimited data plans.

It doesn't have to. If one outcome is common, it doesn't mean it is the only possibility.

Just because your car broke down or was wrecked before you sent it to the wrecker doesn't mean mine will.

I think Sgt was only referring to 4G phones, not all phones in either carriers offering.

I know that, but what I am saying is verizon had several non 4g smartphones that easily took sales away from them selling 4g phones. Not only that but at the beginning of the year sprint had the evo, evo shift and epic available for sale. Verizons first 4g phone (the htc thunderbolt) wasn't released until the middle of march last year then their second 4g phone (the droid charge) wasn't released until the end of april with other phones being released in the middle to the end of the year. What i am saying is that I don't think you can compare sales from both.

To add if a typical customer walks into a verizon store last year, sees a thunderbolt, droid charge, whatever other phones and an iphone 4 chances are they will be getting the iphone 4. Same scenario but with sprint, a typical sprint customer walks into a sprint store this time last year, their choices were an evo, evo shift, epic and whatever other phone. Chances are pretty high that they would be going with an evo. If sprint got the iphone 4 the same time as verizon did last year I can assure you that the customer would be going with an iphone 4 thus decreasing the overall sales of 4g phones. So I really do believe that the iphone 4 has this particular statistic skewed quite a bit.

The iPhone is the biggest thief of 4G sales around, and I look for it to be the biggest selling smartphone again this fall with the LTE version.

And it is possible this stat is skewed because of iPhone sales. Then the same thing can be said for the iPhone 4 and at&t. They sold tons of them even during the time that HSPA+ started coming online, and now they have sold even more thanks to the 4S being HSPA+ compatible.

The iPhone is the biggest thief of 4G sales around, and I look for it to be the biggest selling smartphone again this fall with the LTE version.

And it is possible this stat is skewed because of iPhone sales. Then the same thing can be said for the iPhone 4 and at&t. They sold tons of them even during the time that HSPA+ started coming online, and now they have sold even more thanks to the 4S being HSPA+ compatible.

Yes, Josh, we know you are an iPhone guy...

I know that, but what I am saying is verizon had several non 4g smartphones that easily took sales away from them selling 4g phones. Not only that but at the beginning of the year sprint had the evo, evo shift and epic available for sale. Verizons first 4g phone (the htc thunderbolt) wasn't released until the middle of march last year then their second 4g phone (the droid charge) wasn't released until the end of april with other phones being released in the middle to the end of the year. What i am saying is that I don't think you can compare sales from both.

To add if a typical customer walks into a verizon store last year, sees a thunderbolt, droid charge, whatever other phones and an iphone 4 chances are they will be getting the iphone 4. Same scenario but with sprint, a typical sprint customer walks into a sprint store this time last year, their choices were an evo, evo shift, epic and whatever other phone. Chances are pretty high that they would be going with an evo. If sprint got the iphone 4 the same time as verizon did last year I can assure you that the customer would be going with an iphone 4 thus decreasing the overall sales of 4g phones. So I really do believe that the iphone 4 has this particular statistic skewed quite a bit.

And Verizon's 3G network is a lot more reliable in many areas than Sprint's network. I hear what you're saying. Also, Sprint did not announce that WiMax was going away until October? I wonder what the sales numbers looked like in December with the GNex and RAZR vs the older E4GT Photon and Evo 3D with a 4G technology that was not expanding.

And WIMAX isn't dead just done growing

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

The announcement that Sprint was rolling out their own LTE network was made in October 2011.

I heared that but many people think that WIMAX will just be shut down not true sprint is just focused on lte development?

According to all current docs, Sprint & Clearwire will continue to support WiMax until 2015 and hopefully by then Clearwire will have fully overlaid their entire network with LTE so that they can turn off WiMax and fully support LTE.

True true that's why they are giving the new phones chips with WIMAX and lte so sprint will have 2 4g networks that's a real good thing because WIMAX reaches some places lte doesn't

Actually, no new phones will have access to WiMax anymore. Only tri-network broadband data cards will still be able to access WiMax. All new phones starting with the Galaxy Nexus and the LG Viper are EVDO/LTE compatible.

No actually the new lte phones will have special chips that allow the PHONE to access WIMAX lte and evdo 3g

That is news to me. From all the documentation on the GNex & the Viper, I haven't seen anything to allow them access to WiMax. I would think the battery life would be even worse than current 4G phones as a result.

No actually the new lte phones will have special chips that allow the PHONE to access WIMAX lte and evdo 3g

I'd like to see where you are finding this information. Sprint has come out and publicly stated that they will not release another WiMax phone.

• Like 1

There is a thread right here regarding Sprint's exit from WiMax devices.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/9-youve-seen-your-last-wimax-phone/

I'd like to see where you are finding this information. Sprint has come out and publicly stated that they will not release another WiMax phone.

I got that info straight from this website and I even googled it lol the article states that the chips come with WIMAX and lte capability because sprint doesn't want to disappoint they users already in a WIMAX area but they want to expand the lte network I'll post a link when I'm done eating my mcdoubles lol