Sprint to Shut Down Wimax by End of 2015 (Was Wimax network shut-off date?)

linhpham2

Folks a far better network than Wimax is coming, go ahead and rejoice ;)

You are such a tease. I am holding you to your word that I'll get first to know access! Lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

You are such a tease. I am holding you to your word that I'll get first to know access! Lol

You will not be let down, However San Jose is not on the first round..at least yet  ;)

Interesting that the date is exactly 1 year from the proposed date that Clearwire is set to end new activations on its Wimax service. I really hope this Aug 2014 Wimax shutdown rumor is true because the sooner that 2.6 Wimax spectrum can be refarmed for LTE, the better it will be for everyone.

This date might be true because before Sprint acquired 100% of clearwire they had an agreement until 2015 but now since sprint owns clearwire and softbank is the sugar daddy to them both I believe they want to and can end WiMAX sooner.

I might be wrong but decommissioning WiMAX is not entirely harder than IDEN. Consumers phones will still work just not their 4G and plus working at a sprint store we are instructed to switch customers from their WiMAX phones to LTE phones with their insurance (you must have a legit issue with the device but we no longer carry WiMAX insurance replacements)

This date might be true because before Sprint acquired 100% of clearwire they had an agreement until 2015 but now since sprint owns clearwire and softbank is the sugar daddy to them both I believe they want to and can end WiMAX sooner.

I might be wrong but decommissioning WiMAX is not entirely harder than IDEN. Consumers phones will still work just not their 4G and plus working at a sprint store we are instructed to switch customers from their WiMAX phones to LTE phones with their insurance (you must have a legit issue with the device but we no longer carry WiMAX insurance replacements)

Do you with corporate or indirect?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

Indirect but we are a corporate affiliate (shentel)

That's interesting because on the corporate Sprint side the exchange list on wimax devices do not open lte devices. So that is a shentel policy not a Sprint one.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps I should have gone into a store and submitted an insurance claim for my goddaughters sgs2, insurance sent a new one last week because the other was broken.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be getting my replacement evo through insurance tomorrow. Maybe that policy isn't enforced yet? 

I definitely do not pick up wimax in all locations that were once reported on Sensorly strangely enough.  

It might be due moving to LTE on that band or the new equipment, I am not sure. I only get WiMAX maybe half the places I once did when it first launched here a couple of years back. I pretty much leave it off, anyway. I generally get higher speeds and lower ping times on NV 3G, honestly.

I will be getting my replacement evo through insurance tomorrow. Maybe that policy isn't enforced yet? 

I definitely do not pick up wimax in all locations that were once reported on Sensorly strangely enough.  

Sprint is not decommissioning any Wimax sites yet.  Sprint hasn't officially announced any shutdown of Wimax of any sort yet and all Clearwire is doing is just installing dual mode Wimax/LTE RRUs on its towers to be able to run both Wimax and LTE on its towers.

Sprint is not decommissioning any Wimax sites yet.  Sprint hasn't officially announced any shutdown of Wimax of any sort yet and all Clearwire is doing is just installing dual mode Wimax/LTE RRUs on its towers to be able to run both Wimax and LTE on its towers.

I think only the Samsung RRUs are dual mode.

They are the only ones that I recall that have done dual mode WiMax/TD-LTE RRU's.

Samsung really seems on their game. I wonder what is enabling them to progress so impressively.

If my town (Dayton, OH) has never had Wimax, will it even receive TD-LTE covereage in the future?  I know Clear has towers in the area, but since we never got Wimax, I just wonder if we would even get TD-LTE...

Samsung really seems on their game. I wonder what is enabling them to progress so impressively.

Samsung was contracted by Clearwire to begin with. It's a simple matter of a contract being completed. And since all they are doing is swapping RRU's, the amount of time per site is significantly reduced.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

If my town (Dayton, OH) has never had Wimax, will it even receive TD-LTE covereage in the future?  I know Clear has towers in the area, but since we never got Wimax, I just wonder if we would even get TD-LTE...

What Clearwire deployed in Dayton is called Expedience.  Expedience uses T1 lines for backhaul in most instances, and the Expedience equipment is not readily upgradable to LTE.  So it will involve a complete replacement of everything at the site to upgrade to LTE.

I do believe now that SoftBank is in charge that Expedience sites will get upgraded to TD-LTE.  It will likely be toward the end of the TD-LTE upgrade as these sites will need to have high speed backhaul brought in place before then.  And the amount of work involved is more significant, and will be slower.

I don't have any specific info about the future of Expedience sites.  These are just my opinions of what I think will occur.

Robert

• Like 1

What Clearwire deployed in Dayton is called Expedience.  Expedience uses T1 lines for backhaul in most instances, and the Expedience equipment is not readily upgradable to LTE.  So it will involve a complete replacement of everything at the site to upgrade to LTE.

I do believe now that SoftBank is in charge that Expedience sites will get upgraded to TD-LTE.  It will likely be toward the end of the TD-LTE upgrade as these sites will need to have high speed backhaul brought in place before then.  And the amount of work involved is more significant, and will be slower.

I don't have any specific info about the future of Expedience sites.  These are just my opinions of what I think will occur.

Robert

Ok thanks for the info Robert.

You now have answered a question a co-worker and I were talking about yesterday. :)

We were discussing one of the Clearwire site(s - he says there are more then one, but the Clearwire coverage and Sensorly maps don't seem to show more than one) in Kalamazoo that is also an Expedience site based on your description above.  I think he said there are seven T1s and I was surprised as I thought it would already have had fiber.  This site is co-located with Sprint that has not yet received any NV treatments.  He has yet to have a request come in from Sprint for getting fiber to the site.  (Verizon already has fiber there.)  Being a university campus there are fiber pairs already at the site.  Just need to jumper them back to the campus DMARC.

I am pretty sure it won't happen, but it would be nice if when NV work starts on this site, they pull the legacy Sprint and Clearwire equipment and go all-in with NV tri-band from the get go. :)

• 4 weeks later...

What are the chances of existing Clear home internet users being allowed to upgrade to TD-LTE base stations?  Slim to none?

Will they eventually be terminating customers from the home ISP service?

I keep a Clear account active as a backup/failover connection, so it'd be kind of nice to stay with them.

What are the chances of existing Clear home internet users being allowed to upgrade to TD-LTE base stations? Slim to none?

Will they eventually be terminating customers from the home ISP service?

I keep a Clear account active as a backup/failover connection, so it'd be kind of nice to stay with them.

I would say the chances are virtually zero. Sprint will likely cancel Clearwire home service with the end of WiMax. Sprint either will never offer an ISP service again, or it will be limited like Verizon's LTE ISP.

Sprint will not allow heavy home based usage to clog their LTE network. They are counting on the high performance of the TD-LTE network and mondo capacity for unlimited smartphone usage in order to compete with the duopoly.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

• 2 weeks later...

I would say the chances are virtually zero. Sprint will likely cancel Clearwire home service with the end of WiMax. Sprint either will never offer an ISP service again, or it will be limited like Verizon's LTE ISP.

Sprint will not allow heavy home based usage to clog their LTE network. They are counting on the high performance of the TD-LTE network and mondo capacity for unlimited smartphone usage in order to compete with the duopoly.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

Damnit....

you mean i gotta track down a new ISP service for my mom AGAIN???

bah, it was a pain before....freaking century link still only had 768 to her house  :blink:  :blink:  i know i know...

and they had an issue with comcast back a few years (they cancelled but comcast never did and then wanted to charge them for 3 mths, and my dad said piss off)

the one wireless carrier, wont work because of the trees around there house.....no line of site...

SOB.....looks like i am going to have to work the comcast thing out <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<