Sprint to Shut Down Wimax by End of 2015 (Was Wimax network shut-off date?)

linhpham2

maybe they aren't planing to run LTE and wimax side by side if this is the case will they still need to replace them. Just asking ?

It doesn't matter if they don't run LTE and Wimax side by side, the fact is that all the current RRUs on the Wimax sites only support Wimax since they were installed before LTE existed.  The current RRUs on all Clearwire sites need to be replaced with new RRUs regardless since the new RRUs support LTE techology.  The side benefit of these new RRUs is that they are dual mode Wimax/LTE and can be run at the same time.

T

It doesn't matter if they don't run LTE and Wimax side by side, the fact is that all the current RRUs on the Wimax sites only support Wimax since they were installed before LTE existed. The current RRUs on all Clearwire sites need to be replaced with new RRUs regardless since the new RRUs support LTE techology. The side benefit of these new RRUs is that they are dual mode Wimax/LTE and can be run at the same time.

from what I understand any tower using huawei equipment only need a softwate update and the rrus do not need to be replaced just configured. There current ruus on the tower support wimax TD LTE . I think the name of the solution is singleran. Edited by JustinFrascona

Tfrom what I understand any tower using huawei equipment only need a softwate update and the rrus do not need to be replaced just configured. There current ruus on the tower support wimax TD LTE . I think the name of the solution is singleran.

The biggest thing is that Sprint promised the government that it would remove all Huawei equipment as part of the merger agreement for Clearwire. So that equipment has to come down. Samsung and Ericsson already have TD-LTE RRU's ready for deployment. Samsung's equipment does dual mode WiMax/TD-LTE. The time for Chinese spy equipment is over.

Tfrom what I understand any tower using huawei equipment only need a softwate update and the rrus do not need to be replaced just configured. There current ruus on the tower support wimax TD LTE . I think the name of the solution is singleran.

All existing RRUs will be replace by new TD-LTE equipment from Samsung, Ericsson, Alcatel-Lucent (whenever they get theirs through the FCC), and other TD-LTE vendors (Nokia Siemens Networks, .. etc). Existing Huawei, ZTE, Motorola, Samsung, etc equipment will all be replaced and recycled. 

All Clear Professional B2B (business to business) and M2M (machine to machine) services will be terminated on 8/31/13. Termination notifications have been sent to all Clear Professional B2B (business to business) and M2M (machine to machine) customers informing the customer that service will be terminated on 8/31/13. B2B and M2M has stopped being sold as of August 1st.

All Clear Professional B2B (business to business) and M2M (machine to machine) services will be terminated on 8/31/13. Termination notifications have been sent to all Clear Professional B2B (business to business) and M2M (machine to machine) customers informing the customer that service will be terminated on 8/31/13. B2B and M2M has stopped being sold as of August 1st.

I wonder how long before they send notice to all of us regular consumers. Talk about an aggressive shut down.

I wonder how long before they send notice to all of us regular consumers. Talk about an aggressive shut down.

Judging by how expensive M2M WiMAX modules probably are, and how little of a push Clear has put into Clear Professional, I wouldn't be surprised if they only have a few thousand customers on the entire platform. Better to phase 'em out now than let things drag on.

Wow, just a month's notice for shutdown. That's pretty short notice!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I live in ashland ky a clearwire protection site and is also controlled by a rural alliance (ntelos). Now that the deal is done what does that mean for my community? I hope sprint just buys ntelos. I like wimax just want a new phone. Ntelos isnt saying nothing about our area, or nothing at all actually about NV with sprint or lte other than the dish stuff.

Wonder if we'll see any movement with Sprint letting customers off WiMax and into LTE phones?

I wish but i think this wont happen until next year.

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

I wish but i think this wont happen until next year.

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

I thought they changed the terms to allow for an upgrade?

They did change the terms but that is just so that they can act on any of the options at any point. I think Sprint still wants to give it till the end of this year at the very minimum to have as many customers voluntarily upgrade their phones to LTE before they start to incentivize/bribe customers to move from Wimax to LTE. 

Sprint knows that all the Wimax customers who got the Moto Photon and SGS2 are due for an upgrade very soon and I am sure 9 out of 10 customers (including myself) are eagerly waiting to upgrade their devices from Wimax to LTE.  With the LG G2, Note 3, iPhone 5S (or whatever it will be called), HTC One Max smartphones coming out, this will present a great opportunity for Sprint to encourage customers to switch over to LTE.

They did change the terms but that is just so that they can act on any of the options at any point. I think Sprint still wants to give it till the end of this year at the very minimum to have as many customers voluntarily upgrade their phones to LTE before they start to incentivize/bribe customers to move from Wimax to LTE. 

Sprint knows that all the Wimax customers who got the Moto Photon and SGS2 are due for an upgrade very soon and I am sure 9 out of 10 customers (including myself) are eagerly waiting to upgrade their devices from Wimax to LTE.  With the LG G2, Note 3, iPhone 5S (or whatever it will be called), HTC One Max smartphones coming out, this will present a great opportunity for Sprint to encourage customers to switch over to LTE.

Ah, makes sense.

I believe the free upgrade offer from WiMax to LTE devices is for customers who have been directly affected by any WiMax shutdowns.  I believe Sprint will leave WiMax up in many markets, however, in some markets Sprint will want to deploy TD-LTE in a specific place, and if WiMax cannot be shunted to another frequency they may shut down that market's WiMax.  Also, there may be markets where the vendor cannot supply a dual LTE/WiMax radio head.  They may just elect to shut down those WiMax markets too and install TD-LTE only RRU's.

Robert

• Like 1

Also, there may be markets where the vendor cannot supply a dual LTE/WiMax radio head. They may just elect to shut down those WiMax markets too and install TD-LTE only RRU's.

Robert

Ericsson and NSN's RRU's don't support WiMax. It's too bad we don't have vendor lists for Clearwire LTE, then we'd know who has what. My guess is Samsung handled all the initial TDD-LTE deployments.

• Like 1

Ericsson and NSN's RRU's don't support WiMax. It's too bad we don't have vendor lists for Clearwire LTE, then we'd know who has what. My guess is Samsung handled all the initial TDD-LTE deployments.

yaaaaaaaa samsung boyy!

The RRU's in Denver looked different than Samsungs

Robert

gallery_1_23_69367.jpg

• Like 1