Sprint to Shut Down Wimax by End of 2015 (Was Wimax network shut-off date?)

linhpham2

Anyone know? I'm guessing 2015 when their NV project is mostly done. Hopefully, they'll convert the wimax sites into LTE ones. There's a big wimax network here in Portland, OR. I'd like to see some of the 2.5 ghz LTE love.

Anyone know? I'm guessing 2015 when their NV project is mostly done. Hopefully, they'll convert the wimax sites into LTE ones. There's a big wimax network here in Portland, OR. I'd like to see some of the 2.5 ghz LTE love.

My guess is that by the time they start shutting down WiMax sites the coverage will already be extensive enough where it honestly wouldn't matter. Any additional bands of LTE they add would already be on a current or planned NV site. So I don't see reason that there would be additional benefits besides saving money of running the WiMax network.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Sprint's coverage is barely tolerable now. Network Vision will help somewhat. However, Sprint still needs all the help that it can get with the exploding data growth. Especially in the larger cities with the larger population and higher demand for data.

• Like 2

I think as long as Sprint/Clearwire can deploy a single 20 MHz TD-LTE on the 2.5 GHz spectrum, I think its fine to keep the Wimax network up.  There are still people like me that are still relying on Wimax since I am waiting patiently for a tri-band LTE phone to upgrade to. 

Keep in mind that Sprint has recently changed the Wimax terms to persuade customers to move to the LTE network.  I see Sprint start making a push beginning Q4 of this year and a very strong push to get customers off of Wimax in 2014.

• Like 1

I think as long as Sprint/Clearwire can deploy a single 20 MHz TD-LTE on the 2.5 GHz spectrum, I think its fine to keep the Wimax network up.  There are still people like me that are still relying on Wimax since I am waiting patiently for a tri-band LTE phone to upgrade to. 

Keep in mind that Sprint has recently changed the Wimax terms to persuade customers to move to the LTE network.  I see Sprint start making a push beginning Q4 of this year and a very strong push to get customers off of Wimax in 2014.

+1  Like Eric I still depend heavily on Wimax and have two devices and no LTE in sight here in Henderson NV.. so bring on LTE and I'll gladly give up my Wimax devices

• Like 1

Sprint has committed to WiMax through 2015 at last check.

By that time, NV 1.0 will be completely wrapped up, and NV 2.0 should be nearing completion is not complete.

1900 LTE, 800 LTE, and 2500 LTE will be widespread. Most WiMax coverage will just be providing a redundant 4th network, so by that point in time it would make sense to start shutting it down. It's not likely to happen anytime before that.

Sprint has committed to WiMax through 2015 at last check.

By that time, NV 1.0 will be completely wrapped up, and NV 2.0 should be nearing completion is not complete.

1900 LTE, 800 LTE, and 2500 LTE will be widespread. Most WiMax coverage will just be providing a redundant 4th network, so by that point in time it would make sense to start shutting it down. It's not likely to happen anytime before that.

I don't recall if it through 2015, or just until 2015.

Robert

Through.. until.. same dif

:lol:

Only 365 days difference. But who's counting?

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 5

Only 365 difference. But who's counting?

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

When I said through, I was thinking the beginning of 2015... so anyway. 

It's a ways off at any rate, so not gonna worry about it.

• Like 2

Areas that are WiMAX-only right now will, I'm sure, get TD-LTE turned on before WiMAX is phased out. Which means that tri-band LTE phones will be out in force...as will at least PCS LTE...in those areas by the time WiMAX phones get relegated to 3G-only (which itself will be improved due to NV; wouldn't be surprised to see 1.5/800).

WiMAX is fast in hawaii maui

faster than verizon Lte and at&t lte

And it will only get faster as people move to LTE.

According to the list, some areas wont see their NV finished until 2015.... I think it would be best to keep wimax until then.

And remember, its not just Sprint. Dont virgin and Boost use wimax? I believe all three companies are still selling wimax devices.

Personally, Im more than happy with wimax speeds, but Im ready to dump my phone.

And it will only get faster as people move to LTE.

According to the list, some areas wont see their NV finished until 2015.... I think it would be best to keep wimax until then.

And remember, its not just Sprint. Dont virgin and Boost use wimax? I believe all three companies are still selling wimax devices.

Personally, Im more than happy with wimax speeds, but Im ready to dump my phone.

According to what list will markets not be done by 2015? The NV Running List? Those are not actual predictions. I feel like I have explained this before. Those dates are adjusted based on the last few weeks of updates. If there is a temporary slow down in updates, the dates will shoot way out in the future. The majority of NV work will be competed by this time next year.

Sent from my HTC ONE

i think it might be a good idea if I try to use my galaxy s1 instead of note 2 for couple of month in NYC and enjoy some of wimax until LTE fully kicks in NYC.

• 3 weeks later...

Clearwire is officially closing after the 31st of august they won't allow any new activations after that date. They also will be clossing the portal for all dealers. Judging by this wimax will be shut down earlier than later probably by Sep 2014.

• Like 1

Clearwire is officially closing after the 31st of august they won't allow any new activations after that date. They also will be clossing the portal for all dealers. Judging by this wimax will be shut down earlier than later probably by Sep 2014.

Do you have a link to confirm this?   How did you find out about this?

Do you have a link to confirm this?   How did you find out about this?

I didn't read this. I work at a cellular store in North Miami Beach my clear rep told me. Also he said the best buy latest shipment of wimax clear devices was canceled. We were told sell what we have in stock now because after the 31st it will be dead stock and we will also lose access to the portal. If you know a clear rep give him a call they can confirm.
  • Like 2

I didn't read this. I work at a cellular store in North Miami Beach my clear rep told me. Also he said the best buy latest shipment of wimax clear devices was canceled. We were told sell what we have in stock now because after the 31st it will be dead stock and we will also lose access to the portal. If you know a clear rep give him a call they can confirm.

I trust you since you work with the Clear partners.  I just thought you read it somewhere.  This is good news.   Any way that Sprint can get rid of the Clear brand and try to shut down Wimax ASAP I am all for it.  I just want the 2.5 GHz spectrum refarmed into TD-LTE.

• Like 2

I trust you since you work with the Clear partners.  I just thought you read it somewhere.  This is good news.   Any way that Sprint can get rid of the Clear brand and try to shut down Wimax ASAP I am all for it.  I just want the 2.5 GHz spectrum refarmed into TD-LTE.

seriously. I have LTE all over the city except of course my house the closest tower (across the street) is a clear owned wimax tower. My clear rep told me most of the towers (in my market) have already been converted and the only reason they haven't been turned on is due to permits and lack of support at this point.

seriously. I have LTE all over the city except of course my house the closest tower (across the street) is a clear owned wimax tower. My clear rep told me most of the towers (in my market) have already been converted and the only reason they haven't been turned on is due to permits and lack of support at this point.

That part about permits he told you is wrong. Building permits are required to be in place before you can even put up the RRU's. Lack of support and/or backhaul could be the issue at hand. Hopefully soon though!

That part about permits he told you is wrong. Building permits are required to be in place before you can even put up the RRU's. Lack of support and/or backhaul could be the issue at hand. Hopefully soon though!

backhaul is a major issue here in south Florida for sprint . From what I was explained the ruu antennas between wimax and LTE are the same on the 2500mhz band .

backhaul is a major issue here in south Florida for sprint . From what I was explained the ruu antennas between wimax and LTE are the same on the 2500mhz band .

Depending on how old the antennas were installed, Clearwire plans to reuse them for LTE since it has the supported 2.5-2.7 GHz frequency range.  However all the RRUs on the current sites will need to be replaced with dual mode Wimax/LTE RRUs so it can support Wimax and LTE networks at the same time since all the current RRUs on Wimax sites are only single mode Wimax.

Depending on how old the antennas were installed, Clearwire plans to reuse them for LTE since it has the supported 2.5-2.7 GHz frequency range.  However all the RRUs on the current sites will need to be replaced with dual mode Wimax/LTE RRUs so it can support Wimax and LTE networks at the same time since all the current RRUs on Wimax sites are only single mode Wimax.

maybe they aren't planing to run LTE and wimax side by side if this is the case will they still need to replace them. Just asking ?