How to Spot Sprint 8T8R TDD-LTE RRHs (Samsung)

lilotimz

When you say remotely you mean "nobody had to be there to physically mount it but somehow it gets mounted anyway"? ????

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Well, some towers have the RRU mounted at the base station... Can it be mounted remotely for the B41 equipment?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well, some towers have the RRU mounted at the base station... Can it be mounted remotely for the B41 equipment?

Certainly is not an ideal condition, but yes they can be put into what some call a ground mount radio unit type setup. Essentially the way most setups were done before network vision decided to pop em up top and get all that distance out of the way.

I'm pretty certain GMOs do not get LTE. The determining factor is does the antenna at the top support the bandwidth needed and the frequencies? If they do then the RRHs wouldn't be ground mounted. So no.

Not to mention 8T8R requires specific antennas.

Certainly is not an ideal condition, but yes they can be put into what some call a ground mount radio unit type setup. Essentially the way most setups were done before network vision decided to pop em up top and get all that distance out of the way.

I'm pretty certain GMOs do not get LTE. The determining factor is does the antenna at the top support the bandwidth needed and the frequencies? If they do then the RRHs wouldn't be ground mounted. So no.

Not to mention 8T8R requires specific antennas.

If a site is specifically a GMO, it has legacy antennas, so it can't support any 800 MHz services. But that doesn't mean sites can't have RRUs mounted at the BBU cabinets and NV capable antennas (in which case they wouldn't be a GMO). At those sites, all bands should be possible.

As far as I know, you usually only see something like that in places like rooftops or small/stealth sites (like "flagpole" sites) like this one from the in-progress thread:

OiaTAM0.jpg

The radios can be mounted anywhere. You just get a severe signal loss from the coax cables the farther the radio is from the antenna. They'll be mounted as close as possible but if it needs to be ground mounted then so be it.

• Like 1

If a site is specifically a GMO, it has legacy antennas, so it can't support any 800 MHz services. But that doesn't mean sites can't have RRUs mounted at the BBU cabinets and NV capable antennas (in which case they wouldn't be a GMO). At those sites, all bands should be possible.

As far as I know, you usually only see something like that in places like rooftops or small/stealth sites (like "flagpole" sites) like this one from the in-progress thread:

Almost all of the sites in the city of Fresno are GMRs, like this:

kT7ppZy.jpg

The legacy gear is kept up in the air only long enough to get the new NV hardware plugged in. All 6 RRUs are on the ground, like so:

6hvDOAz.jpg

The county of Fresno (and Clovis, and everywhere else on planet earth) has different standards, apparently, so their sites look like more like this:

LTXOyAS.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Will 8T8R require new phone? or can currently released phone take advantage of 8T8R? this giga ohm article say this is being tested in chicago?

Do we have a list of 8T8R location? I'm based in the metro chicago area

http://gigaom.com/2014/06/23/sprints-8-antenna-lte-tech-moves-out-of-the-labs-and-into-chicago/

Will 8T8R require new phone? or can currently released phone take advantage of 8T8R? this giga ohm article say this is being tested in chicago?

Do we have a list of 8T8R location? I'm based in the metro chicago area

http://gigaom.com/2014/06/23/sprints-8-antenna-lte-tech-moves-out-of-the-labs-and-into-chicago/

No

Yes

Most definitely

Some

• Like 1

Does anyone happen to have mounting / bracket details for the Samsung 2.5 RRH's? Need this info to get one of my projects out of PC in Sacramento. Cant find anything online and Samsung will not return my email/call.

Yep.

Here's the installation manual with the mounting / bracket / installation details.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Does an 8T8R installation at a previously completed NV 1.0 site require a new set of hybrid fiber cables to be run from the MMBS up the tower to the 8T8R RRU's?

That's a tricky question. Think that depends on how early in NV1.0 that site was built or converted. The site near my house was reworked May 2013 and they did not pull another snake up the pole. However a site in town was upgraded later and had to have additional cabling pulled.
  • Like 1

That's a tricky question. Think that depends on how early in NV1.0 that site was built or converted. The site near my house was reworked May 2013 and they did not pull another snake up the pole. However a site in town was upgraded later and had to have additional cabling pulled.

Well the sites in my area were mostly NV 1.0 complete between Feb and Aug 2013.   I ask the question because I have recently started to notice an additional panel mounted on the Sprint rack next to the NV 1.0 panels on a few of the sites around here.   I did a quick site visit to a couple sites and saw no new cables from the MMBS.    I need to revist with a pair of binoculars and a DSLR to confirm what this additional panel is.    Hoping for 8T8R!

Well the sites in my area were mostly NV 1.0 complete between Feb and Aug 2013. I ask the question because I have recently started to notice an additional panel mounted on the Sprint rack next to the NV 1.0 panels on a few of the sites around here. I did a quick site visit to a couple sites and saw no new cables from the MMBS. I need to revist with a pair of binoculars and a DSLR to confirm what this additional panel is. Hoping for 8T8R!

Post a pic here from your phone. There's enough of us here that could tell you unless its on the few sprint towers that they didn't use the bottom rung. [emoji6]

• 1 month later...

No.

mhm. Okay, thanks. I just wanted to make sure because this one site has only two Base Stations and is putting out Bands 25/26/41. I thought for B41, there was an base station to go with it. But that's awesome anyways! 

Thank you.

mhm. Okay, thanks. I just wanted to make sure because this one site has only two Base Stations and is putting out Bands 25/26/41. I thought for B41, there was an base station to go with it. But that's awesome anyways!

Thank you.

For band 41 it's an uadu (carrier card) addition along with base station modifications. New hybrid cable maybe if the existing hybrid wires don't have enough fiber support and the new antenna and radios up top.

Some sites have two cabinets because of high capacity setups.

• Like 1