Sprint to join Rural Operators Roaming Hub (CCA and RRPP thread)

marioc21

Could this alliance help the members out when it comes time to negotiating backhaul purchases? I know I'm going out on a limb, but one can hope.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

If sprint can call this native or Sprint LTE coverage, its gonna look really pretty on commercials...

We prolly won't see the Verizon one anymore with the maps...

nope that ad will be gone.

The thing is... would Sprint also have access to the spectrum that other CCA members have? If so, Sprint can deploy another LTE 800 carrier using CL850 as CL 850 is part of Band 26. 

The whole point of the hub is that it's a reciprocal deal. If you enter you agree to both roaming both ways. Somebody else will have to comment on the frequencies.  So far the only Sprint has announced is that they are going to support band 12 in some of their future devices.  Although if you look at a screen cap I posted of one of the slides shown during the presentation you'll see that Sprint and the CCA may are planning to support many bands in the future.  

Here you go:  http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5684-sprint-to-join-rural-operators-roaming-hub/?p=299532

Also, I don't believe Sprint ever sold service in Alaska. 

Robert

Correct, they never sold service in Alaska. You couldn't get a Sprint phone number with an Alaska exchange. As you surmised, the only folks that lived there and had Sprint must have had it in the ConUS and moved there with it. I have to believe that was rather small number.

• Like 1

Although if you look at a screen cap I posted of one of the slides shown during the presentation you'll see that Sprint and the CCA may are planning to support many bands in the future.  

Here you go:  http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5684-sprint-to-join-rural-operators-roaming-hub/?p=299532

Looking at your screen cap I'm still a bit confused. Why do they need to support Band 2 & Band 5 on the device side? Doesn't Band 25 & 26 obviate the need for either of those? :confused:

Looking at your screen cap I'm still a bit confused. Why do they need to support Band 2 & Band 5 on the device side? Doesn't Band 25 & 26 obviate the need for either of those? :confused:

Since the partners don't have any SMR or PCS G Block spectrum, but do have Cellular and PCS spectrum, I think they were relating it into language they understand.  We will help you get devices that run on your Band 2 & 5, by virtue of getting Band 25 & 26 devices.  That's how I took it.

Robert

• Like 3

I was reading a recent article about how Sprint is working with rural carriers to basically share the networks and phones that will be release in the near future will have the tri-band, 700mhz and aws bands. So is this going to help merger since that would help with the different technology?

I was reading a recent article about how Sprint is working with rural carriers to basically share the networks and phones that will be release in the near future will have the tri-band, 700mhz and aws bands. So is this going to help merger since that would help with the different technology?

Yes, they are killing two birds with one stone: Roam on rural partners and get ready for the merger...

Edited by bigsnake49

We are witnessing plan b.. Tmo is raising prices and apparently getting rid of corp discounts (that remains to be seen)

While sprint is lining everything up to go head to head with the big 2... Yes the end game is Tmo and sprint somehow.

** instead of plan b maybe I should say taking a different route

I took the articles as Sprint was going to allow Regional Carriers to roam on Sprint LTE 1900 and 800 in exchange for roaming on the networks as if it were Sprints Native Coverage. Anyone else take the articles like that? And also didn't sprint use to have that where they roamed on other networks and the phones recognized that network as Sprint?

Before I switched to Sprint from Verizon I was able to roam on U.S. Cellular ( Which Was All The Time) and it acted like it was native. And it was part of my UNLIMITED Data through Verizon.

Edited by 9690austin
  • Like 1

You didn't run into any trouble because Verizon allows their users to roam indefinitely (domestically) without penalty. They're the only major carrier that does that.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You didn't run into any trouble because Verizon allows their users to roam indefinitely (domestically) without penalty. They're the only major carrier that does that.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

It's easy to do that when the majority of your roaming is 1x. People roaming won't add up much data.

We are witnessing plan b.. Tmo is raising prices and apparently getting rid of corp discounts (that remains to be seen)

While sprint is lining everything up to go head to head with the big 2... Yes the end game is Tmo and sprint somehow.

** instead of plan b maybe I should say taking a different route

I think this is all part of plan A which includes a T-Mobile merge along with rural partnerships. Once everyone is compatible and financially dependent it makes even more merges likely in the future.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

After reading through all these posts and seeing that "what could be" map - I kid you not - I'm grinning ear to ear right now!

• Like 5

I'm curious how the members of the hub will reconcile roaming usage on partner networks.  Since the networks are of differing sizes, the small network partners might enjoy a larger benefit than larger network partners.  In other words, I suspect there is some level of correlation between network size and the probability of roaming and therefore the roaming benefit received.  Will the partners simply keep tally and reconcile on some system like 'USCC:  your customers used x mins and x GB of data on my (sprint) network and my customers used y mins and y GB of data, you owe me z/min and z/GB of data used over what my customers used?  Will they simply say 'it's not the incremental network load or cost that matters and therefore I'm not going to meter the data/minutes between partners'?  Will they come up with some amount of 'free roaming' (that mirrors what customers receive) that partners agree to?

There are also a lot of intangible benefits for smaller operators:

* Possibility of increased device selection

* Increased coverage, particularly if it's done in a way where the consumer isn't worried about roaming

*Access to additional sprint's spectrum to add or build out LTE where the small operator is spectrum constrained or needs access to a core network.

I think there's also a reality that's being addressed:  Sprint is unlikely to have an LTE roaming agreement with VZW (just as Tmo will unlikely have an LTE roaming agreement with T) because, quite simply, the big guys now have networks big enough not to need a reciprocal roaming agreement and therefore have created 'walled garden' LTE networks as a means of differentiation and competitive strategy.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but it would be a boon for everyone if they could configure this to work in a way where it appeared to the consumer to be a single network.  I think that it would also offer small independent wireless Telco's a way to remain independent.  Son speaks about the size gap between S/Tmo and T and VZW but compare that to Cricket, USCC, and some of the others and Tmo.  This is truly an alternative to marginalization and consolidation for smaller operators.

• Like 1

Screen-Shot-2014-03-27-at-10.28.42.jpg

Map after everything is done. 

Website: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/03/27/sprints-enlisting-small-carriers-in-its-war-on-verizon-and-att

Gives all Details

Much Larger Footprint.

• Like 1

Also there are two separate deals going through at the same time.

Net Alliance and CCA. 

Net Alliance allows Smaller Carriers to use Sprint spectrum on the 800Mhz and 1900Mhz to Build 3G and 4G LTE. Every piece of Equipment must be up to Network Vision standards. 

I think it includes free unlimited roaming for Sprint and other carriers that use it because it will be considered Native Networks. After anyone else reads the article do you get the same impressions?

Also there are two separate deals going through at the same time.

Net Alliance and CCA. Hey thanks for the I information. But all the info related to that was discussed on release plus some additional commentary from other forums members if you read back a few pages! Cheers

Net Alliance allows Smaller Carriers to use Sprint spectrum on the 800Mhz and 1900Mhz to Build 3G and 4G LTE. Every piece of Equipment must be up to Network Vision standards. 

I think it includes free unlimited roaming for Sprint and other carriers that use it because it will be considered Native Networks. After anyone else reads the article do you get the same impressions?

there is a back log of info in the previous pages concerning the info. Members from a few days ago discussing it with more comments concerning it.

When son mentions devices (net alliance/CCA deals) could he also be talking about the bright star acquisition? I get the feeling that Tmo will start losing steam with recent changes and that Son is starting to put all the pieces together...

Net alliance, CCA, dish deal, network vision and possible Tmo buyout....that's a lot on the plate.... But I like the fact that sprint isn't standing still. I love how Mass wants to fight.

• Like 2