Netgear Zing Mobile 771s going into vehicle

mcsar02

Hello,

I found some posts about taking this in vehicles in other threads, but there was never any follow up or the poster got derailed.

I have a Sprint Netgear Zing mobile hotspot (aka 771s)  The specific reason for this purchase was vehicle applications.

Though the enclosed info packed, PDF file and sprint information is somewhat limited, I have found out via Cnet, PCmag and a couple other sites that the units dual antenna ports have two purposes (contradicting the sprint packaging)  Port 1 is to boost signal going to the device. Port 2 boosting the devices wifi range. 

Sprint 77xs docking station PDF confirms this.  However the cost, large size, and the need to be plugged in vs a vehicle charger seems to make this a non option for me. The docking station PDF states that it will charge the device, increase its incoming signal and boost wifi from 20-30 feet to closer to 100 feet. (this is something that I will have use for in a vehicle)

I am trying to locate antenna's for these features.  I see several for port 1 (boosting the incoming signal) but none for boosting the outgoing wifi.

QUESTION:

Will the same antenna do both services?

ie I use two, lets say 5db antenna's by being plugged into each port, the device will determine if its pulling a signal in or pushing a wifi out?

I have found a couple "dome" type 5 wire antenna's about $250.00 that say they will do this and be gps compatible. Which the zing is supposed to be, but the info on these antenna's specifically state they should not be used with hotspots or aircards.

I have also found a few topics around the web that mention a two port adapter meaning one antenna that gets plugged into a feed line that plugs into both ports 1 & 2. But it does not mention if it will do both functions.  Also I have found no such adapter for sale anywhere.

Any help / direction would be greatly appreciated.

The hotspot will be running a tablet as well as a panasonic CF31 laptop in the vehicle.  Around town I have good signal, but my use brings me often to wilderness locations with little signal so I want the antenna to boost my signal when in these areas.  And I'll have need to push my wifi beyond the immediate access of the vehicle so other personnel can temporarily sign into it.

Thank you in advance. 

• Like 2

Hello,

I found some posts about taking this in vehicles in other threads, but there was never any follow up or the poster got derailed.

I have a Sprint Netgear Zing mobile hotspot (aka 771s)  The specific reason for this purchase was vehicle applications.

Though the enclosed info packed, PDF file and sprint information is somewhat limited, I have found out via Cnet, PCmag and a couple other sites that the units dual antenna ports have two purposes (contradicting the sprint packaging)  Port 1 is to boost signal going to the device. Port 2 boosting the devices wifi range. 

Sprint 77xs docking station PDF confirms this.  However the cost, large size, and the need to be plugged in vs a vehicle charger seems to make this a non option for me. The docking station PDF states that it will charge the device, increase its incoming signal and boost wifi from 20-30 feet to closer to 100 feet. (this is something that I will have use for in a vehicle)

I am trying to locate antenna's for these features.  I see several for port 1 (boosting the incoming signal) but none for boosting the outgoing wifi.

QUESTION:

Will the same antenna do both services?

ie I use two, lets say 5db antenna's by being plugged into each port, the device will determine if its pulling a signal in or pushing a wifi out?

I have found a couple "dome" type 5 wire antenna's about $250.00 that say they will do this and be gps compatible. Which the zing is supposed to be, but the info on these antenna's specifically state they should not be used with hotspots or aircards.

I have also found a few topics around the web that mention a two port adapter meaning one antenna that gets plugged into a feed line that plugs into both ports 1 & 2. But it does not mention if it will do both functions.  Also I have found no such adapter for sale anywhere.

Any help / direction would be greatly appreciated.

The hotspot will be running a tablet as well as a panasonic CF31 laptop in the vehicle.  Around town I have good signal, but my use brings me often to wilderness locations with little signal so I want the antenna to boost my signal when in these areas.  And I'll have need to push my wifi beyond the immediate access of the vehicle so other personnel can temporarily sign into it.

Thank you in advance. 

I originally asked this in the hotspot thread, but never got around to doing the research. I want to do the same thing with my vehicle but couldn't find what each port was for. So Ultimately i just gave it up....I'll have to get back into searching again.

Well I got the ports figured out.  Now just trying to figure out how to make use of them. Preferably without spending $200.

PORT 1 = Incoming signal boost

PORT 2 = Outgoing Wifi Boost

The desktop cradle for home / office use calls it MIMO (multiple-input and multiple-output) antennas.

The cradle is just not car friendly, nor do I see an antenna per-say. Which I would rather have roof mounted anyway as another hole in the roof (or two) wont matter based on other antenna and emergency lighting.

http://ntgr.co.in/service-provider/products/mobile-broadband/accessories/aircard_desktop_cradle_77XS.aspx

I am not familiar with the device antenna ports, but if it is a standard wifi signal connector you can probably use any external wifi antenna.

worst case scenario, it does not help and you have to send something back.

hahahaaa.

I just received this back from sprint from their facebook page when asked the same question above.  Though they do not specify which type of antenna other then MIMO.

"This device uses MIMO antennas which transmit and receive signal. You won't need a specific one for transmitting and one for receiving and they're not port specific."

So I sent this link to sprint (antenna posted above) and asked "So two antenna such as this will work? Plug one into each port"

Their reply: "Yes, those will work"

Whole thread can be found on Facebook/sprint

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AirCard-Hotspot-External-magnetic/dp/B00FHNHLO8/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1394483583&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=zing+771

So, I guess that's the answer Iv'e been looking for.  Thanks for everyones help here. And maybe this will help others with the same type of question. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So...I just bought my setup here for the vehicle....I'm stoked, cause I'm going on a driving trip to Ohio here in June and look forward to testing this puppy out! 

Here's the Antenna: (Lists for $37.99, I offered $30.99 and they accepted it!!! Less than HALF RETAIL PRICE!!) Plus this is a PERFECT MATCH Tri-Band Antenna!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390833019460?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Here is the Jumper I'm using (10 Feet long $14.24):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141215317721?var=440289079913&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Here is the "Pigtail for the Zing" ($8.99 + Shipping varying by location, mine was $3.99ish):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201079773140?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Now the antenna shown is if you want to drill a hole in your car. I'm looking at also picking up a lip mount for my SUV hatchback like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMET-RS-720-MED-ADJUSTABLE-TRUNK-HATCH-VAN-DOOR-LIP-MOUNT-NO-COAX-INCLUDED-/151019686907?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Antennas&hash=item2329798bfb

Without the mount it was around $58 and change.....Will post pics when I'm done! I still haven't decided if I want to drill a hole in my roof yet or not....I probably won't and maybe use the luggage rack on the top. (I have a 2009 Mercury Mariner) Cheers!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to visualize the lip mount you mention above and can't seem to figure out how that would be attached. I see this one on ebay that attaches to the roof rails but still how does one route the cable into the car without drilling a hole?

Too bad the antenna can't be mounted on the dashboard but I don't know if that is practical or even safe? I sure would love to try this though.

TS

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am trying to visualize the lip mount you mention above and can't seem to figure out how that would be attached. I see this one on ebay that attaches to the roof rails but still how does one route the cable into the car without drilling a hole?

Too bad the antenna can't be mounted on the dashboard but I don't know if that is practical or even safe? I sure would love to try this though.

TS

Sorry for the delayed response. I actually just picked up the NMO mount version of the same antenna on ebay, and modified a Mag Mount (NMO) and recently used that on a trip to Ohio...Worked great!. Everything else was the same setup except for the different style antenna.

• Like 1