AT&T unleashes LTE Advanced carrier aggregation in Chicago

WiWavelength

This is my hot thread.  I do what I want.

AJ

• Like 3

25+26 CA would be useful in more rural areas where B41 doesn't make sense quite yet, partially due to lack of density (which beamforming probably won't resolve). There will be plenty of areas within range of a single B25 carrier and a single B26 carrier, so CA would be quite handy, particularly with the new Netgear router that Sprint's launching now (assuming it supports CA). Gives the same effective 10x10 of spectrum that VZW uses for HomeFusion, so Sprint won't lag speed-wise in areas where B41 won't be for awhile.

As probably noted already, the AT&T Unite hotspot supports CA. So that's where Big Blue is starting in Chi-town.

• Like 1

25+26 CA would be useful in more rural areas where B41 doesn't make sense quite yet, partially due to lack of density (which beamforming probably won't resolve). There will be plenty of areas within range of a single B25 carrier and a single B26 carrier, so CA would be quite handy, particularly with the new Netgear router that Sprint's launching now (assuming it supports CA). Gives the same effective 10x10 of spectrum that VZW uses for HomeFusion, so Sprint won't lag speed-wise in areas where B41 won't be for awhile.

As probably noted already, the AT&T Unite hotspot supports CA. So that's where Big Blue is starting in Chi-town.

Only one of them does, the Unite Pro. The regular Unite does not.

Only one of them does, the Unite Pro. The regular Unite does not.

What about the model for dyslexics?  The Untie shotpot?   :2tu:

Robert

• Like 2

What about the model for dyslexics?  The Untie shotpot?   :2tu:

I thought those people stayed up all night wondering if there is a dog.

AJ

• Like 3

I'm at the Chicago Intl Airport with spectrum analyzer, no signs of AWS in C block, nor Leap's D block. They also don't have B2 live either at this location... The only LTE presence AT&T has at this location is B17...

Meanwhile Verizon is not joking around here...

pSSUmUIl.png

• Like 3

That's just...crazy.

I'm assuming you were on Verizon's AWS?

Yeah Band 4, 20Mhz channel. Clearly, Carrier Aggregation is completely unnecessary for Verizon in Chicago. All contiguity.

ptrHUvAl.png

Yeah Band 4, 20Mhz channel. Clearly, Carrier Aggregation is completely unnecessary for Verizon in Chicago. All contiguity.

So here is a question for you, how many of Verizon's existing devices can connect to that band? Or is it something that has to be forced on certain devices?

I'm surprised no one's asked why not aggregate two band 25 carriers. That makes a lot of sense to me when band 41 is a ways off for some areas where the single g block carrier doesn't cut it.

I wouldn't neccesarily call Carrier Aggregation a capacity thing, as I see it more as an E-Penis thing. Frankly, if one carrier get's filled up, you push devices to the next carrier. Combining those two carriers together would, as far as I know, only make the numbers look better (Which, don't get me wrong, would be a good thing, considering the not-as-intelligent public that only sees numbers will think to themselve's "oh, they have bigger numbers, I'm gonna sign with them").

But back onto your idea. The only problem with your idea is that Sprint doesn't necessarily have enough spare spectrum everywhere to launch another Band 25 carrier, which means they are still stuck with one carrier.

-Anthony

So here is a question for you, how many of Verizon's existing devices can connect to that band? Or is it something that has to be forced on certain devices?

If you mean how many Verizon AWS capable smartphones are on the market, the answer is only a handful, and only two Cat 4. Note 3 and LG G2.

That said about 25% of Verizon's LTE subscribers are using AWS capable device.

I'm at the Chicago Intl Airport with spectrum analyzer, no signs of AWS in C block, nor Leap's D block. They also don't have B2 live either at this location... The only LTE presence AT&T has at this location is B17...

Meanwhile Verizon is not joking around here...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That said about 25% of Verizon's LTE subscribers are using AWS capable device.

Milan, what is the source of that stat?  It may very well be accurate, but I find it hard to believe.  If true, one quarter of VZW subs have upgraded in the past year and chosen AWS capable handsets.  Seems a bit of a stretch -- especially for the somewhat stolid VZW crowd.

AJ

Milan, what is the source of that stat?  It may very well be accurate, but I find it hard to believe.  If true, one quarter of VZW subs have upgraded in the past year and chosen AWS capable handsets.  Seems a bit of a stretch -- especially for the somewhat stolid VZW crowd.

AJ

AJ, I stand corrected, and thanks for pointing out. As per Neville Ray's recent Morgan Stanley presser, he states that 10% of Verizon's LTE sub base can access AWS band with compatible handsets. Not 25%. Not sure what are his sources.

http://investor.t-mobile.com/calendar.aspx?iid=4091145

I'm surprised no one's asked why not aggregate two band 25 carriers. That makes a lot of sense to me when band 41 is a ways off for some areas where the single g block carrier doesn't cut it.

I wouldn't neccesarily call Carrier Aggregation a capacity thing, as I see it more as an E-Penis thing. Frankly, if one carrier get's filled up, you push devices to the next carrier. Combining those two carriers together would, as far as I know, only make the numbers look better (Which, don't get me wrong, would be a good thing, considering the not-as-intelligent public that only sees numbers will think to themselve's "oh, they have bigger numbers, I'm gonna sign with them").

But back onto your idea. The only problem with your idea is that Sprint doesn't necessarily have enough spare spectrum everywhere to launch another Band 25 carrier, which means they are still stuck with one carrier.

-Anthony

Two band 25 carriers would make more sense than a band 25 and band 26 carrier (I am assuming you can't aggregate a FDD & TDD carrier as well). While Sprint might not have enough spectrum in every market, I would suggest they could do it in a majority of the them. 

• Like 1

This does make sense. When Sprint starts doing LTE-A advanced devices for B41 CA, they should also include CA for B25 too. Right now, it would only be useful in a couple of places in Shentel land. However, there likely will be more this year. And anywhere there are two B25 carriers, why not use both carriers in aggregate? It would probably require an LTE version upgrade too. But they should plan for it and just do it. :tu:

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1