Verizon, Sprint lead on delivering mobile data traffic over LTE

Rawvega

February 23, 2014 | By Tammy Parker

Verizon Wireless and Sprint far outpace AT&T and T-Mobile US when it comes to the percentage of customers with LTE-enabled smartphones who see 91 to 100 percent of their mobile usage going over LTE rather than 3G, according to a new report from Mobidia and Informa Telecoms & Media.

Read more: Verizon, Sprint lead on delivering mobile data traffic over LTE - FierceWirelessTech http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/verizon-sprint-lead-delivering-mobile-data-traffic-over-lte/2014-02-23#ixzz2uFb65JDG 

Subscribe at FierceWirelessTech

• Like 1

When it becomes readily available . I will never use 3g unless I am shunted over to it. Hoping that when 800 comes out, I never will have to switch to 3g. 

• Like 2

The reason for this is very simple. Verizon and Sprints 3g networks is much slower than att and tmobile 3g networks so it more urgent for them to upgrade there phones. You dont notice much of a difference coming from hspa to lte but its a huge difference coming from evdo and moving to lte

• Like 9

I find it weird that sprint supposed to be so far behind all the other carriers in their LTE deployment. Yet they have more traffic going over their LTE network than AT&T AND T-MOBILE. That says something about the other carriers networks.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 5

The reason for this is very simple. Verizon and Sprints 3g networks is much slower than att and tmobile 3g networks so it more urgent for them to upgrade there phones. You dont notice much of a difference coming from hspa to lte but its a huge difference coming from evdo and moving to lte

Is it really a virtue to not upgrade to LTE at the rate you should simply because you have a better backup 3G network? AT&T and Tmo cannot be praised for upgrading and not upgrading. And Sprint and Verizon cannot be cursed for completely upgrading. Furthermore, Tmo does not even have ubiquitous 3G. And AT&T still has EDGE only in some embarrassing places too.

Don't be so quick to overlook these significant issues with platitudes.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

I say it is good press to see Sprint listed #2 overall in LTE traffic use. Sprint can't be that terrible if it's customers are able to use the network that much.

• Like 5

Hopefully this means that Sprint will be able to shutdown a couple of EVDO carriers in high capacity markets in the traditional PCS bands, making room for a second 5Mhz FDD LTE carrier.

• Like 3

Geez, are you sure that you are not an in the closet magenta fanboy, maybe a secret 3GPP operative?  What you say above is one of their favorite talking points, how W-CDMA fallback is so superior to EV-DO fallback.  But it is largely GSM centric propaganda.

Put EV-DO at spectrum parity with W-CDMA (e.g. three or four 1.25 MHz FDD EV-DO carriers for every one 5 MHz FDD W-CDMA carrier) and provide advanced backhaul, then EV-DO is running at 2+ Mbps.  End users are getting very similar experiences between the two airlinks.

Alternatively, W-CDMA can be fed by T1 backhaul -- just as AT&T and T-Mobile have on some of their sites.  Then, W-CDMA is not much of a fallback at all.

AJ

• Like 2

Interesting. In addition to % LTE deployment, this could also indicate that Verizon and Sprint have set their hand over points to 3G to be very low, so as to squeeze every last bit of traffic on LTE before user is bumped down to 3G.

This could be another reason (in addition to % LTE deployment and smaller bandwidth, etc.) why Sprint LTE speeds come behind AT&T & T-Mobile in several reports - some carriers might retain less users on LTE in weak signal conditions than others.

Ive only used tmobile on a hotspot and i have never owned a att device. I have Tmobile, Verizon, and Sprint in various areas in Florida, Atlanta and D.C. Nearly every time I used Verizon 3G or Sprint 3G it was not a good as At&t. I will say that Verizon 3G for me is slower than Sprint 60% of the time but I have yet to see evidence of Evdo trumping hspa+. In my experience the best EV-DO performace is average or lower compared to WCDMA. Again I use CDMA carriers. You can't throw the Magenta fan boy card at me just because in my area they seem to handle data better. Im not saying WCDMA is better everywhere but I think if I went on cross country trip I don't think hspa+ would lose to evdo. Maybe in coverage since evdo has more coverage.

Geez, are you sure that you are not an in the closet magenta fanboy, maybe a secret 3GPP operative? What you say above is one of their favorite talking points, how W-CDMA fallback is so superior to EV-DO fallback. But it is largely GSM centric propaganda.

Put EV-DO at spectrum parity with W-CDMA (e.g. three or four 1.25 MHz FDD EV-DO carriers for every one 5 MHz FDD W-CDMA carrier) and provide advanced backhaul, then EV-DO is running at 2+ Mbps. End users are getting very similar experiences between the two airlinks.

Alternatively, W-CDMA can be fed by T1 backhaul -- just as AT&T and T-Mobile have on some of their sites. Then, W-CDMA is not much of a fallback at all.

AJ

• Like 1

I said that because I know people still using the iphone 4s because hspa+ is fast enough. Ive heard that plenty of times when trying to get people to come to the yellow side. They always say that Sprint's 3G is dial up slow and At&t and tmobile are super fast on hspa 4G. I used to work for a 3rd party Sprint retail store around 19 months ago before they closed down and I had serveral iphone 4s owners come from att expecting fast data on Sprint and are disappointed. Phone returns from new customers due to unsusable data was ridiculous. Im not saying that hspa+ is better but I need proof that it can really compete with evdo from a speed and consistency stand point. My experiences all over Florida says it can't. I believe evdo wins the coverage game though. If its like this I guess you can consider all networks equal.Sprint and Verizon for coverage and Att and tmobile for speed.

Is it really a virtue to not upgrade to LTE at the rate you should simply because you have a better backup 3G network? AT&T and Tmo cannot be praised for upgrading and not upgrading. And Sprint and Verizon cannot be cursed for completely upgrading. Furthermore, Tmo does not even have ubiquitous 3G. And AT&T still has EDGE only in some embarrassing places too.

Don't be so quick to overlook these significant issues with platitudes.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I said that because I know people still using the iphone 4s because hspa+ is fast enough. Ive heard that plenty of times when trying to get people to come to the yellow side. They always say that Sprint's 3G is dial up slow and At&t and tmobile are super fast on hspa 4G. I used to work for a 3rd party Sprint retail store around 19 months ago before they closed down and I had serveral iphone 4s owners come from att expecting fast data on Sprint and are disappointed. Phone returns from new customers due to unsusable data was ridiculous. Im not saying that hspa+ is better but I need proof that it can really compete with evdo from a speed and consistency stand point. My experiences all over Florida says it can't. I believe evdo wins the coverage game though. If its like this I guess you can consider all networks equal.Sprint and Verizon for coverage and Att and tmobile for speed.

Come here and join me in an AT&T area with no LTE and the wonderful HSPA+ (WCDMA) network that is great to fallback on.  Right now I have to type this using my VZW hotspot, because this wonderful AT&T 3G (Faux G) has a 457ms ping and 300kbps speed here inside my office with a -78dBm RSSI.  We AT&T customers just love falling back on their 3G.  It is always awesome!  Also, much of Tmo's WCDMA that does exist outside the cities is on T1's and they run as slow as Sprint 3G.  Not much of a fallback in comparison to Verizon and Sprint 3G EVDO.  The worst thing is to see the 4G icon and it runs at crippling speeds.

Now you are changing your argument.  You were comparing why VZW and Sprint had no choice but to move to LTE, but Tmo and AT&T have wonderful 3G fallbacks.  Now you are essentially just changing to a Sprint sucks way of explaining the difference when your main point was largely disproven.

iPhone 4/4S returns were not because of the difference between the difference in fallback on AT&T/Tmo versus Verizon/Sprint.  It was just because of the poor condition of Sprint's 3G network.  That is something completely different than what is being discussed in this thread and is off topic.  In fact, it cheapens your original argument to use that.  The fact that Sprint's legacy 3G network sucks is not a trump card for all intellectual debate.

Robert

• Like 1

Geez, are you sure that you are not an in the closet magenta fanboy, maybe a secret 3GPP operative?  What you say above is one of their favorite talking points, how W-CDMA fallback is so superior to EV-DO fallback.  But it is largely GSM centric propaganda.

Put EV-DO at spectrum parity with W-CDMA (e.g. three or four 1.25 MHz FDD EV-DO carriers for every one 5 MHz FDD W-CDMA carrier) and provide advanced backhaul, then EV-DO is running at 2+ Mbps.  End users are getting very similar experiences between the two airlinks.

Alternatively, W-CDMA can be fed by T1 backhaul -- just as AT&T and T-Mobile have on some of their sites.  Then, W-CDMA is not much of a fallback at all.

AJ

Today I learned that EV-DO running at 2+ Mbps is comparable to HSPA+.

EDIT: Never mind, I understand you were referring specifically to UMTS.

Come here and join me in an AT&T area with no LTE and the wonderful HSPA+ (WCDMA) network that is great to fallback on.  Right now I have to type this using my VZW hotspot, because this wonderful AT&T 3G (Faux G) has a 457ms ping and 300kbps speed here inside my office with a -78dBm RSSI.  We AT&T customers just love falling back on their 3G.  It is always awesome!  Also, much of Tmo's WCDMA that does exist outside the cities is on T1's and they run as slow as Sprint 3G.  Not much of a fallback in comparison to Verizon and Sprint 3G EVDO.

Robert

sarcasmMeter-1266531711.jpeg

Come here and join me in an AT&T area with no LTE and the wonderful HSPA+ (WCDMA) network that is great to fallback on. Right now I have to type this using my VZW hotspot, because this wonderful AT&T 3G (Faux G) has a 457ms ping and 300kbps speed here inside my office with a -78dBm RSSI. We AT&T customers just love falling back on their 3G. It is always awesome! Also, much of Tmo's WCDMA that does exist outside the cities is on T1's and they run as slow as Sprint 3G. Not much of a fallback in comparison to Verizon and Sprint 3G EVDO.

Now you are changing your argument. You were comparing why VZW and Sprint had no choice but to move to LTE, but Tmo and AT&T have wonderful 3G fallbacks. Now you are essentially just changing to a Sprint sucks way of explaining the difference when your main point was largely disproven.

iPhone 4/4S returns were not because of the difference between the difference in fallback on AT&T/Tmo versus Verizon/Sprint. It was just because of the poor condition of Sprint's 3G network. That is something completely different that what is being discussed in this thread and is off topic. In fact, it cheapens your original argument to use that. The fact that Sprint's legacy 3G network sucks is not a trump card for all intellectual debate.

Robert

I know AT&T HSPA sucks in Rapid City, but it's not like that everywhere. In Omaha and surrounding areas I've seen 14MB down with the norm being around 6-8 down on HSPA.. Not defending anything just saying..

Sent from my XT1060

• Like 2

I know AT&T HSPA sucks in Rapid City, but it's not like that everywhere. In Omaha and surrounding areas I've seen 14MB down with the norm being around 6-8 down on HSPA.. Not defending anything just saying..

Sent from my XT1060

It's also as high as 12Mbps in some places in Rapid City.  And it's superb inside my home (where I don;t need it).

My point though isn't that WCDMA fallback is never good.  My point is that WCDMA fallback is not a good excuse to not build out your LTE network as the person I was responding to suggested.  And since I use all wireless carriers, our members cannot ever pull the wool over my eyes.  I know exactly how all the other networks perform personally.

Robert

• Like 1

It's also as high as 12Mbps in some places in Rapid City.  My point though isn't that WCDMA fallback is never good.  My point is that WCDMA fallback is not a good excuse to not build out your LTE network as the person I was responding to suggested.  And since I use all wireless carriers, our members cannot ever pull the wool over my eyes.  I know exactly how all the other networks perform personally.

Robert

I believe that the person you were responding to was not suggesting that WCDMA fallback is a good excuse to not build out an LTE network, but rather stating that having only an EV-DO fallback gives Sprint and Verizon a greater sense of urgency to complete their LTE networks in comparison to other carriers. There is a subtle distinction between the two, and I do not think it is fair to call someone out for possibly being a "fanboy" just because he brought up a rational explanation for the topic at hand.

• Like 1

Agreed with JWM.

Also, I don't think anyone is denying that att/tmo faux G can perform as bad or worse than cdma, however when faux g does work well, it still provides much better speed than cdma when it is working well, regardless of legacy or nv.

...and I do not think it is fair to call someone out for possibly being a "fanboy" just because he brought up a rational explanation for the topic at hand.

Yes, it is fair.  We have had so many magenta loving posts that we have had to place a moratorium on T-Mobile threads because of it.  If you want to dump on Sprint's 3GPP2 fallback and talk up some other operator's 3GPP fallback, take it elsewhere.  S4GRU staff is tired of it.

AJ

• Like 3

I had TMobile for a small blip of time when my family moved to Iowa and we didn't get Sprint service. When I went back to school here in Florida, it was so slow that I couldn't use data and was lucky to get an emergency only signal inside any buildings. Even legacy Sprint 3G was better, so much so that I left my family's plan and got my own Sprint account.

But to return to the original discussion, this shows how aggressive both Verizon and Sprint have been to push LTE. Verizon pushed so aggressively that they aren't even bothering to touch their 3G side of things. The future is LTE in this country and the CDMA operators here knew what had to be done.