Photon - EOL

legion125

The Motorola Photon one of the better phones released in a while and the first Sprint has seen since the RAZR (Non-Nextel) is being EOL'ed next month. Those of you who've been sitting on the fence had better decide if you want to pull the trigger. Hopefully Moto doesn't forget it's promise to update it to ICS.

http://www.sprintfeed.com/2012/03/motorola-photon-4g-and-lg-marquee-eold-whats-up-next/

Photon has been a great phone. Actually happy with it without rooting and putting a custom rom on. Hopefully a Photon 2 or another good phone will head to sprint from Moto.

I have wondered if a future Nexus would be a Motorola.

You know, it seems Motorola has been having hard times for awhile. If they leveraged their radio know-how into touchscreen Androids (the Admiral ain't it), they could do very well for themselves. The Photon was great. Keep up the innovation and promote the fact that it is an American company.

I'm hoping that the next Nexus will be a Moto with RAZR MAXX like battery and updated specs. Maybe quad core. Saturday morning daydreaming...

Robert<br />Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

I did a little comparison between LTE signal strength between the wife's RAZR and my Nexus.... Lets just say that I almost regret getting the Nexus. Almost.

Surprising to see the Photon EOL this fast. It's not even a year old and it's a world phone...

• Like 1

As far as battery, Moto has been good in the past at offering OEM extended batteries for their phones. I think there is a good chance that they will continue the trend of big batteries like the MAXX. I hope they do at least.

I did a little comparison between LTE signal strength between the wife's RAZR and my Nexus.... Lets just say that I almost regret getting the Nexus. Almost.

Motorola seems to utilize Qualcomm chipsets for CDMA1X/EV-DO and its own Wrigley chipset for LTE, while Samsung has recently eschewed Qualcomm for VIA Technologies and/or Samsung's own CMC chipsets. Take this with a grain of salt, as it is largely anecdote, but many think that Samsung is going cheap, that the chipsets are junk compared to the brand name Qualcomm and/or Motorola chipsets.

AJ

• Like 1

I've heard that as well, and since Sammy has gone away from Qualcomm that radio issues have increased. Most of the complaints I've heard have in fact been from GNex owners. I'm thinking I may have to give closer scrutiny to the GNex and GSlll when they are launched since those were my top two choices to upgrade.

I've heard that as well, and since Sammy has gone away from Qualcomm that radio issues have increased. Most of the complaints I've heard have in fact been from GNex owners. I'm thinking I may have to give closer scrutiny to the GNex and GSlll when they are launched since those were my top two choices to upgrade.

Yeah never herd of the LOS issues with the HTC Qualcomm devices and in all honesty it only recently within the past few years happened with Samsungs from what I can think...

So what you guys say makes some sense...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

I'm hoping that the next Nexus will be a Moto with RAZR MAXX like battery and updated specs. Maybe quad core. Saturday morning daydreaming...Robert

Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

Keep daydreaming LOL...Google said they were going to keep the two separate for awhile I think...though I'm sure all the MOTO ppl will love it since they have their bootloaders locked tighter than anyone else....even AFTER saying they were going to have them unlockable last year....lolSent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Keep daydreaming LOL...Google said they were going to keep the two separate for awhile I think...though I'm sure all the MOTO ppl will love it since they have their bootloaders locked tighter than anyone else....even AFTER saying they were going to have them unlockable last year....lolSent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

The bootloader thing, as well as slow updates, really turned me off on buying a Motorola.

• Like 1

The bootloader thing, as well as slow updates, really turned me off on buying a Motorola.

Didn't even think about the updates. lol

I just know the Razr should of been a real solid phone for them but every time I go over and read the Razr section on xda some it seems there are less ppl there, and just now have one person getting close to unlocking the thing...

...I blame it all on VZ. lol

Just from my informal research this is how I see updates as it use to be for phones. This is in rank order from fastest to slowest.

Google - Nexus line (Although Google gets a big fail with the Nexus S line)

HTC

Motorola

Samsung

LG & everyone else

• Like 1

Just from my informal research this is how I see updates as it use to be for phones. This is in rank order from fastest to slowest.

Google - Nexus line (Although Google gets a big fail with the Nexus S line)

HTC

Motorola

Samsung

LG & everyone else

How bad did the Epic 4G bring down the average for Sammy? LOL

How bad did the Epic 4G bring down the average for Sammy? LOL

Hey now!! :) love that phone. Runs ICS even with 4g working very well. And best of all it has a keyboard. My daily driver. Now of course Samsung didn't do the ICS part.

I was a hardcore EVO lover, but when they came out with the 3D one and all the others after that, I felt it was a disappointment. Losing the kickstand broke the camels back (strange but true), When Motorola came out with the Photon and being the first Sprint World Android phone, I jumped. Better radio, cool accessories, unique look, but the bootloader from hell. I really love the phone, but that bootloader policy has me so turned off that I vowed not to get another Motorola again, no matter how good it is. So its either a Samsung or HTC.

On the other side of the coin, it will get ICS which will make it even better, but by then I would have moved on.

TS

It took forever and a day to push gingerbread out though. Nothing wrong with the phone, and I am actually impressed that they actually upgraded the phone. But it took forever.

The phone was certainly capable to handle it. It's a shame that Samsung waited till the phone was over a year old before it got GB. That's when I decided no Sammy phones unless it's a Nexus device. Even now I not so sure. The jury is still out for me about Samsung's promise about updating phones in a timely manner.

I'm hoping that the next Nexus will be a Moto with RAZR MAXX like battery and updated specs. Maybe quad core. Saturday morning daydreaming...

Robert<br />Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

I love this phone. It has treated me well with very few dropped calls. The only thing that I am very disappointed about this phone is the Motorola/Sprint's decision to not do FCC testing for 800 Mhz CDMA capability. It was no secret that the Evo 3D and Epic Touch 4G were getting 800 Mhz support and it would have really solidified this phone as an enterprise phone for use today and the future.

Motorola certainly has the capability of creating a nice Nexus phone. Their radios have been very reliable and their phones have done really well especially in the Verizon Droid series. I am tired of seeing Samsung consistently getting the right to produce the next nexus phone. Even a LG Nexus phone would be a fresh change other than HTC or Samsung. Not too sure about a quad core phone because the only quad core processor out right now is the Tegra 3 which is already outclassed by the S4 and not to mention that its only beginning to add LTE support. I would much rather have the next Photon phone in a reasonable time to have a Qualcomm S4 or TI OMAP chip. It would be interesting to see a Tegra 4 quad core chip with ARM Cortex A15 processor and 28 nm die size though.

• Like 1