iPhone 5 (A1429) and LTE 800

doug526

I just had a lengthy discussion with Jose at customer care about post-NV 3G data speed problems in my area, and the constant problem with fallbacks from LTE to 3G on my iPhone5.  Jose sounded knowledgeable and up-to-speed about radio frequencies and 800 MHz technology.

I live in an area that is blanketed in complete NV towers, with all but LTE 800 running on our sites. But my iPhone5 routinely switches from LTE to 3G as the 1900 LTE is very fragile, and there are often long delays (1-2 minutes) switching back up to LTE even when I'm right next to an LTE tower and my iPhone data is idle.  Of course, toggling airplane mode puts it right back on 5 bars of LTE.

Jose tells me that starting around March, Sprint is going to activate LTE 800 data service on its towers in my area.  He also assures me that my iPhone5 is going to support that band.  I told him that everything he told me is contrary to my research and what I've read, as well as Apple's offical specs, about LTE 800 on the iPhone5.  He mentions that the 13.1 carrier update supposedly does something to resolve the 800 LTE problem.  But I haven't found any evidence to support this.  (Update: I checked my carrier, and mine says 15.5 [PRL 51099]).

It makes sense, given that the CDMA as well as GSM version of the A1429 supports Band 5 LTE which is just a +10MHz offset of Band 26, and Band 26 appears to even be a superset of Band 5.  It could just be as simple as a baseband firmware update to enable the extra 10MHz, so could there be hope that the iPhone5 baseband does indeed support Band 26?  I haven't seen the FCC OET docs, but is that what gives the final say in this matter? Can Apple or Sprint retroactively change the FCC specs to include Band 26?

Band 5 Downlink:  869-894 MHz

Band 5 Uplink:  824-849 MHz 

Band 26 Downlink:  859-894 MHz

Band 26 Uplink:  814-849 MHz

(Source: http://niviuk.free.fr/lte_band.php)

I asked repeatedly, about 5 times, if he was absolutely sure that my iPhone 5 would support LTE 800, specifically Band 26...  He made it sound like he was 100% positive that this is the case.  He said the only thing it would not support is Sprint Spark.  But unfortunately, that is still ambiguous, as Spark is technically TRI-band service 800+1900+2500, and the iPhone5 definitely does not support the 2.5. 

Jose also said something to the effect that his father has the iPhone5 and it works on the better in-building coverage in his area. Like his dad happens to live in one of the 4 cities where 800 LTE is active now or something.

It would be nice if the iPhone5 supports 800 LTE.  I wish there was just a shred of evidence that supported Jose's claim, or if he is just lying through his teeth to keep me as a customer.

Edited by doug526

It would be nice if the iPhone5 supports 800 LTE.  I wish there was just a shred of evidence that supported Jose's information, or if he is just lying through his teeth to keep me as a customer.

I sound like a broken record on this count, but do not ask customer care technical questions.  If you insist, do not expect accurate answers.

Put simply, there is no evidence that the A1429 iPhone 5 variant has the hardware to support band 26 LTE 800.  And it certainly is not authorized for it.  S4GRU has been upfront about that from the very beginning.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-322-jack-of-all-bands-iphone-5-fcc-oet-review/

AJ

• Like 3

It would be nice if the iPhone5 supports 800 LTE.  I wish there was just a shred of evidence that supported Jose's claim, or if he is just lying through his teeth to keep me as a customer.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

The answer is Nope. It doesn't. I upgraded to the 5S specifically because of this. Go back to your Sprint store, and tell that Jose he has no idea what he is talking about and shouldn't be lying to customers to keep them. People like him should be fired and replaced, and are another reason that Sprint is having such bad customer service issues.

I suppose it could be remotely plausible. But two issues...

One, it concerns me that only evidence of this after this device being out for 15 months is one comment from one Sprint Customer Service rep (which are historically bad.

Two, this has not passed the FCC to authorize it for use in Band 26. So I highly doubt Jose's father is using Band 26 LTE on the iPhone 5 now. If this is possible, we will see it in short order through FCC recertification.

However, if this is always the plan, why haven't they done it in the last 15 months? What are they waiting for. There already is some Band 26 live that 5S/5C customers are using.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Also, I heard the same thing about non WiMax devices being able to use WiMax because WiFi was so close in frequency. I also heard that WiMax devices just need to be recertified to use LTE. And I've also heard that Band 25 devices will be able to be recertified using Band 41 because of WiFi antennas. Until it's proven, I will be doubtful.

• Like 1

I suppose it could be remotely plausible. But two issues...

One, it concerns me that only evidence of this after this device being out for 15 months is one comment from one Sprint Customer Service rep (which are historically bad.

Two, this has not passed the FCC to authorize it for use in Band 26. So I highly doubt Jose's father is using Band 26 LTE on the iPhone 5 now. If this is possible, we will see it in short order through FCC recertification.

However, if this is always the plan, why haven't they done it in the last 15 months? What are they waiting for. There already is some Band 26 live that 5S/5C customers are using.

Well that would just suck for me if they did that. I got rid of my 5 only because I wanted b26. Let's hope for my sake of my sanity that this is not going to happen, ever. lol

• Like 2

This is by no means an admonishment, just an FYI, but we do not want to host posts in which you are publicly contemplating switching to another provider.  We encourage you to do what you need to do for your wireless service.  However, please do not post a PSA about how T-Mobile, AT&T, or some MVNO might better meet your needs.  That is off topic in general for S4GRU and especially for this thread.

AJ

• Like 7

Well that would just suck for me if they did that. I got rid of my 5 only because I wanted b26. Let's hope for my sake of my sanity that this is not going to happen, ever. lol

I did the same thing. I gave my wife the i5.  oh man.  Well here's to waiting for band 25 in the mean time.

• Like 2

I'm giving my friend my iPhone 5. I didn't get the 5S because of the 800LTE capability, although there is the perk to it. I got mine because I got to eliminate my last remaining contract with Sprint. :) It feels good to not have 14 months hanging over my head before I am free to get another phone.

• Like 1

As a Houston Sprint user, I would have found the iPhone 5s useful now, but I figure by the time Apple comes out with the iPhone 6, almost all of NV for Houston will be done, and hopefully the iPhone 6 will include band 41.  

I'm not holding my breath on getting LTE 800 on my iPhone 5.  

• Like 2

As a Houston Sprint user, I would have found the iPhone 5s useful now, but I figure by the time Apple comes out with the iPhone 6, almost all of NV for Houston will be done, and hopefully the iPhone 6 will include band 41.  

I'm not holding my breath on getting LTE 800 on my iPhone 5.  

You need to start spreading the word to Houston customers to come back to Sprint with LTE 800, 2600 and 1900 coming into the fold really soon it would be good to see Sprint have some good grace again.  Houston may be the first market to get an abundant amount of LTE in all 3 bands.

• Like 1

You need to start spreading the word to Houston customers to come back to Sprint with LTE 800, 2600 and 1900 coming into the fold really soon it would be good to see Sprint have some good grace again.  Houston may be the first market to get an abundant amount of LTE in all 3 bands.

Houston is going to go from one of the worst Sprint markets to one of the best.

Robert

• Like 4

• 7 months later...