Samsung Galaxy S4T L720T [Trimode] User Discussion Thread

lilotimz

Gotcha. I was confused myself. For those of you with the tri-band, who had the single band S4, hows your experience so far? I've read the phone is useless if you're not in a market that has all 3 bands.

In the Omaha market we only have B25 fired up so far.  The Tri-Band phone acts effectively like its single band counterpart - which is far from useless.  As the other bands come online or I visit other Spark markets, I'll have access to those bands as well.  Why would you think such a thing?  Isn't it common sense?

As I understand it, once you fall off lte 4g, ecsfb is no longer relevant as you've already "fallen back" onto the same frequencies as voice.

ecsfb on some newly activated or reset towers can cause confusion and 'crashes' as discussed above in this thread. The problem, whatever it is, only seems to delay or block returns to lte. 3g didn't seem to be affected.

I recall no reports of what you're describing. Drops from lte to 3g always seem to be fast and near transparent.

You may be describing a new problem with unknown causes.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Seems as if I can get connection on 3g much much faster if I "update profile". Which to me doesn't seem right. Ha how's a guy supposed to stream music like that?

As far as ecsfb is concerned it seems to come back to 4g OK. Sometimes I have to cycle airplane mode if I'm in a known area and it hasn't switched. But that's not the norm.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine does.

No idea why though.

At least I'm not the only one lol. I still wish there was a LTE priority screen like other triband phones.

How did you find out the band priority and is there anyway to change it?

You can set a Band scan preference. But after you connect, LTE is network controlled. The network will decide which band you need to be on. You have no control.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I want to buy an s4t off of Craig's list but no one actually posts which model they have. How can I ask the seller what model they have? Specifically, where can I tell them to look to confirm its an s4t. Thanks in advance!

Also anyone willing to sell theirs??? :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I want to buy an s4t off of Craig's list but no one actually posts which model they have. How can I ask the seller what model they have? Specifically, where can I tell them to look to confirm its an s4t. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

If its has the sun looking lte icon its the spark. The single band just has the original lte icon. Also the start up screen says sprint spark when turning on.

If its has the sun looking lte icon its the spark. The single band just has the original lte icon. Also the start up screen says sprint spark when turning on.

is this the only way or is the l720t written under the battery somewhere?

is this the only way or is the l720t written under the battery somewhere?

Without removing the battery - but still under the cover, it is molded into the center plastic of the lower antenna (right of the speaker, below the battery).  It says:  "L720T"

below that it says ">PC+ABS< #1-2"

If you remove the battery it reads:

Model: SPH-L720T

FCC ID: A3LSPHL720T

• Like 1

I live in a 1x800 area and I've noticed now that when I make or receive a phone call, it seems to be random whether it uses 800 or 1900. I know with my S3, it would scan 1900 first, then switch to 800 if the signal was weak. I live a few blocks from a tower so I would expect it would just use 1900 but even here it uses either seemingly random.

Does anyone know why the S4t does this? It's obviously not a problem, I'm just curious.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I live in a 1x800 area and I've noticed now that when I make or receive a phone call, it seems to be random whether it uses 800 or 1900. I know with my S3, it would scan 1900 first, then switch to 800 if the signal was weak. I live a few blocks from a tower so I would expect it would just use 1900 but even here it uses either seemingly random.

Does anyone know why the S4t does this? It's obviously not a problem, I'm just curious.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, all I can do is speculate. I know on the LTE side of the shop, the network decides which band you connect too. Your experience seems to mimic that albeit, I am not sure the CDMA network is that 'smart.' Do you have any LTE in your area? I am curious what happens, if you set your phone to CDMA-only.

I am in Shentel territory and have very good LTE coverage here. I haven't tried changing it to cdma only mode but I may try that at some point to see what happens.

I may have missed this but does anyone's phone get stuck on 1x800 and never want to leave? I notice that when my phone switches to 800 and has an active data session, it does not switch back to LTE (or even 1900/EvDO) until I go into airplane mode. I've let it sit for about five to ten minutes and it doesn't want to let go.

As long as you're steadily streaming data, it doesn't look.  If there is a periodic pause in the data stream, it will check.

Pandora often has gaps and doesn't steady stream and that gives the phone a chance to look.  Other apps may not stop very often.

If your 3g connection is weak or slow, there may not be any gaps for it to pause long enough to look.

As 4G fills in, this will become less of an issue as you will have a more constant 4g high data rate.

As long as you're steadily streaming data, it doesn't look.  If there is a periodic pause in the data stream, it will check.

Pandora often has gaps and doesn't steady stream and that gives the phone a chance to look.  Other apps may not stop very often.

If your 3g connection is weak or slow, there may not be any gaps for it to pause long enough to look.

As 4G fills in, this will become less of an issue as you will have a more constant 4g high data rate.

Thanks - I figured this was the case. Otherwise, my new phone really loves going it slow on 2G technology.

S4T gets wifi calling!

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/devices-apps-and-services/tri-band-capable-samsung-galaxy-s-4-gets-wi-fi-calling.htm

Samsung Galaxy S 4® with Sprint Spark™ (enhanced LTE) becomes a fourth Wi-Fi Calling enabled smartphone from Sprint through an over-the-air update that started rolling out today. The update notification will be pushed to all our customers automatically during the next few weeks.

Wi-Fi Calling is a FREE service that lets you use voice and messaging services over existing home, office and public Wi-Fi networks. With Wi-Fi Calling, you will experience improved voice, data and messaging services in locations that previously had limited or no mobile network coverage.

How will customers benefit?
Enhanced coverage for in-building coverage or areas with challenging network conditions
Easy setup: Once activated, everything is seamless and happens in the background
Unlimited voice calling and messaging on Wi-Fi: All domestic calling and messaging is FREE (standard CDMA international rates apply for international calls)
Once the download is complete, you will be prompted to install the update. Installation will take a few minutes during which the device will be disabled. Once installation is completed, the device will be ready for use and Wi-Fi Calling can be activated by going to your Apps folder and selecting the Wi-Fi Calling icon.

Sprint plans to expand Wi-Fi calling to additional devices in 2014.

• Like 4