Samsung Galaxy S4T L720T [Trimode] User Discussion Thread

lilotimz

I have the 720T and speed/responsiveness is good - quite smooth actually. I haven't noticed any delay in opening apps and general operation although I haven't had a chance to check everything. Battery life seems about the same as kitkat.

It looks like the whole thing took over 700mb off my datacap - it could be that some of the file was downloaded while on wifi.

I have not reset the phone - is that recommended?

Did you manually check for updates or did it just download overnight one day. How is touch wiz under Lollipop? I use Nova, but just curious if the L update improved the performance of Touch Wiz.

I am liking the L update on my 720T. It is what I was hoping for...makes my S4T seem different enough to hold me off until this Christmas Black Friday sale from Best Buy. I mentioned this before...it am hoping to get a Galaxy S6 for 1 buck. :-)

If you want it, do the factory reset, it should happen.

If I have to do a reset to get it, I don't care if I ever get it.

I'll report if it ever downloads without doing a factory reset.

I have a tough time believing that is a prerequisite.  There are no other reports of that necessity.

I think the timing was just a coincidence.

Here are some of the things I noticed on Lollipop for the S4T, these are random, just things that are different.

1. When displaying previously used apps by pressing and holding home button...when you X out of an app, it actually closes the app. I know this because I watched the Active Apps and the apps that I X out...no longer appear in the active apps.

2. Popup window for text messages.

3. Color schemes are different for stock message app.

4. Samsung keyboard functions as well as Google's stock keyboard. .I have no interest is switch back to Swiftkey, Google, or Flesky.

5. S4T now has KNOX and it works well. Always was there, but apparently Sprint had turned it off, until L.

6. Notifications on lock screen.

7. Swipe down on lock screen to get to your panel, without unlocking phone.

8. WiFi Calling works flawlessly at this point.

9. Phone in general runs smooth.

10. Not much space after L was installed, probably around 7.5GB.

11. Bluetooth was updated, because now my Honda Pilot works well S4T and when connected, Pilot says "Bluetooth Audio" in italicized works...like my iPhone, it used to just say "BTA."

12. Battery life suffers a bit, but not much different. 40% by about 3pm, with phone unplugged about 615am.

That's all for now...I am sure I forgot stuff.

• Like 1

One more thing that came to mind after I posted. TouchWiz runs well. No lag. But..I went into developer options and changed the animation from 1.5 to .5, I am sure that helped in how TouchWiz runs. I liked the Lollipop animations so I didn't want to turn them off completely.

I finally got the update on my work phone last night. One thing I noticed that's different is when on the home screen, if you press the menu button, it now brings up options for widgets and other things to change the home screen, etc. Previously, it would just pull up about 5 different options, including a shortcut to settings. I have gotten used to using the pull down menu on my Note 4 to get to settings so it's not a big deal, just something I noticed.

Sent from my Note 4.

Just as a status update, lollipop has not pushed to my phone yet. I have not done anything to either encourage or prevent it.

I'm a bit ambivalent about it anyhow. Not too thrilled with the color scheme they chose.

Anyone have any good or bad experiences worth posting yet?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Just as a status update, lollipop has not pushed to my phone yet. I have not done anything to either encourage or prevent it.

I'm a bit ambivalent about it anyhow. Not too thrilled with the color scheme they chose.

Anyone have any good or bad experiences worth posting yet?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Just to contribute to the poll of who is also waiting, nothing yet here....

I received the update about a week ago now. The one thing I really like is trusted devices. When working, I'm in my car for a lot of my work day. For me, trusted devices is awesome. I set it up so my phone doesn't lock when I'm connected to my car's bluetooth.

My personal phone is a note 4, and I have trusted devices set up with my moto 360. It works great. The phone stays unlocked as long as I'm connected. If I walk away from my phone, the phone instantly locks as soon as the watch disconnects from bluetooth.

In my opinion, it's the best feature of 5.0+.

Sent from my Note 4.

It pushed this morning. These are going to be my running notes so I don't forget anything.

I'll be editing the post as I find more details.

-I did nothing heroic to get this to happen. I waited for the push, I did NOT factory reset the phone.

-I took out open office and cleared the application cache to make 3.9GB available on the device before install.

-Google play services said it needed an update to run properly. It was a real bear to get updated. I crashed out the phone three times (such that it rebooted) trying to force it to update because it looked like it wasn't. When I finally left it alone, it updated fine - but with no indications it was doing so. Be patient with this one. Just walk away.

-Service mode doesn't seem to require the "sprint" password any more.

It is still accessed by ##DEBUG# from the dialer. That's nice.

LTE Engineering screen still provides serving CELL id and Band.

-Signal check pro now gives neighbor cell data

-My Alpine radio / Pandora interface doesn't work yet. I have to use Bluetooth device mode. No song like / dislike capability until I get that back - maybe with an Alpine app update?

-I like the improvement to calendar that added screen width real-estate by moving view settings to the hamburger icon.

-I like it EXCEPT "tasks" are gone and are deleted from my PC side google calendar as well. I was hiding some 4 digit padlock lock codes there so I wouldn't have to remember them. DOH!

-It appears to have reinstalled and reenabled a lot of the bloat I had taken out or disabled. I'll be cleaning that up again to get my storage space back.

-It's ugly but tolerable so far.

-Eats battery. Allows too many apps to start in the background. Killed apps don't stay killed. I can't clear as much memory by killing apps as I could before.

The calendar app received an update yesterday that fits what you described above. That's not necessarily a lollipop update.

When you disable bloat, you don't gain any storage space back. Unfortunately, it's in the system partition.

Keep up the list though. It's always interesting to see what changes.

Sent from my Note 4.

The calendar app received an update yesterday that fits what you described above. That's not necessarily a lollipop update.

When you disable bloat, you don't gain any storage space back. Unfortunately, it's in the system partition.

Keep up the list though. It's always interesting to see what changes.

Sent from my Note 4.

Bloat's cache data shouldn't be in the partition.  Am I wrong?  I think I got space back when I took out their updates as well.

Regardless, on the stuff that I managed to remove or disable, I got that processor load back by keeping them from running.

I did a lot of cleaning to be able to add Open Office last time around.  I may not add it again this time, but we'll see what I manage.

Bloat's cache data shouldn't be in the partition. Am I wrong? I think I got space back when I took out their updates as well.

Regardless, on the stuff that I managed to remove or disable, I got that processor load back by keeping them from running.

I did a lot of cleaning to be able to add Open Office last time around. I may not add it again this time, but we'll see what I manage.

Yeah, deleting the updates clears usable space but deleting the original app doesn't gain any space.

Sent from my Note 4.

I did find something that made the whole thing worthwhile.

Signal check now displays "connected to" PCI data as well as neighbor cell PCI data.

No more switching to the LTE engineering screen and having to be connected to a specific sector on a tower in order to see PCI / "Serving Cell" ID #'s  You can gather a lot more preliminary data a lot more quickly.

See attached.

2015-06-11-21-39-01_zpsh9vu2fuu.jpg

2015-06-11-21-40-08_zps0ojivexv.jpg

2015-06-11-21-50-40_zps9gr2tv0e.jpg

2015-06-11-22-28-35_zpsf5w8olef.jpg

2015-06-11-23-02-51_zpsloy7axxa.jpg

It also makes potential PCI programming errors across bands easier to spot.

It even records them to the export logs. Convenience at its finest for tower discovery!

Edited by SturgeonGeneral
  • Like 1