Samsung Galaxy S4T L720T [Trimode] User Discussion Thread

lilotimz

Was looking forward to the lollipop update but after the stories I've read in the S5 thread, it seems to be buggy and causes major battery drain. Which is ironic since I thought lollipop was suppose to improve battery performance lol.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

...and 4.4.4 was *supposed* to release in November.  Here it is 5 months later and no update for 4.4.4, no update for 5.anything.

I'm not going to get too excited about an update until there is more than an rdf.

If every revision to 5 means they stop and start over again, then we'll *never* see an update.

Not that it seems to matter.  The only nice thing would be to see a massive reduction in bloatware and more *user* control of the phone instead of Google control.

Android versions can be skipped. Google just announced 5.1 today so hopefully we'll get that update whenever Samsung gets around to update it. I have the Note 4 and S4T (work phone) so hopefully they'll both get it sooner than later.

Sent from my Note 4.

At some point they have to commit to a version and actually get it done and released.

Google will be three revisions ahead before Sprint releases one.

They abandoned the Moto photon after initially promising revisions two years back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Think positive thoughts. :)

Sent from my Note 4.

Tried that before.

Now I'm at "I'll believe it when I see it and not a moment before."

There's no money in support after the sale. Planned obsolescence drives turnover and new sales.

Everyone wants to be Apple and Microsoft.

• Like 1

Very true. Thought Samsung would go the Apple route and atleast update the last 2 flagships. Iphone 5 still supports ios8 and wouldn't be surprised if it got ios9.

Very true. Thought Samsung would go the Apple route and atleast update the last 2 flagships. Iphone 5 still supports ios8 and wouldn't be surprised if it got ios9.

Samsung isn't all of the problem. Sprint has to take some of the blame. If it was all on Samsung, you could download direct from the Samsung site. Have you ever been able to download a stock Sprint update direct from Samsung or Motorola?

Good point. I love Samsung devices but I hate the update process. Seems as of lately LG and HTC have been getting better at updates even with older devices.

Fair warning well ahead of time, but if the first Lollipop release for the S4 is 5.0.x, I wouldn't be rushing to update right out of the gate based on pre-5.1 experiences on several different devices (tablet and phone alike)....my only Lollipop experiences thus far are with a 2012 model Nexus 7 tablet but much of what I've read as it relates to other devices having gotten a 5.0.x upgrade from KitKat seems to have alot of similar performance/possible memory leak issue themes between them.

Fair warning well ahead of time, but if the first Lollipop release for the S4 is 5.0.x, I wouldn't be rushing to update right out of the gate based on pre-5.1 experiences on several different devices (tablet and phone alike)....my only Lollipop experiences thus far are with a 2012 model Nexus 7 tablet but much of what I've read as it relates to other devices having gotten a 5.0.x upgrade from KitKat seems to have alot of similar performance/possible memory leak issue themes between them.

Might easily explain the delay. It's possible someone said "screw that noise", scrapped the 5.0 progress and started over on 5.1

I doubt it will come before the S6 is released though. I would think they won't be in a rush to get it out since it is a 2 year old phone now. My work phone is the S4T though so I'm hopeful they will at least get it to lollipop before declaring it as end of life. I'm just hoping it's 5.1 but I'll take what I can get.

Sent from my Note 4.

• Like 1

The S4 (720) is a two year old phone, but the S4 (720T) isn't quite 2 years old. it only came out in late November or early December of 2013. At the time, one of Sprint's few actual tri-band phones.

The S4 (720) is a two year old phone, but the S4 (720T) isn't quite 2 years old. it only came out in late November or early December of 2013. At the time, one of Sprint's few actual tri-band phones.

True, but the only thing changed was the radio. It's otherwise the same phone that was released in Spring 2013.

Sent from my Note 4.

Tried that before.

Now I'm at "I'll believe it when I see it and not a moment before."

There's no money in support after the sale. Planned obsolescence drives turnover and new sales.

Everyone wants to be Apple and Microsoft.

Google wants it but set a precedent by letting carriers tweak their os from the beginning. Such a shame, only Google, Apple, and Microsoft care about their os, carriers just want to sell new phones.

Google wants it but set a precedent by letting carriers tweak their os from the beginning. Such a shame, only Google, Apple, and Microsoft care about their os, carriers just want to sell new phones.

The line is that the carriers want their customers to be happy by keeping some control over the process but the result rarely works out in the USA.

Off topic but my S4 has been jumping from B25 to B41 constantly while at home. Signs of a nearby tower getting optimized?

Possible. Go outside and see if you can use the house as blocking interference to determine a direction you get a stable signal from.

Are you a premier sponsor? You can trade info in the premier forums.

No, working on the premier status. I can see the nearby tower from my balcony. About a quarter mile away between Metropolitan Parkway and I-94. I'm getting between -103 to - 117 dbm on B41 so I'm assuming it's coming from there.

No, working on the premier status. I can see the nearby tower from my balcony. About a quarter mile away between Metropolitan Parkway and I-94. I'm getting between -103 to - 117 dbm on B41 so I'm assuming it's coming from there.

Should be higher than that if you're line of sight and 1/4 mile. On a set of new Samsung towers in SE Omaha, I get 99-103 outdoors line of sight at up to 6 miles. Indoor and one exterior wall and I drop to 105-115 and periodic signal loss at those distances.

For one that I'm centered on between sectors, I struggle to get those numbers at a mile.

Fairly sure two of the three are not at full power yet, maybe even the third.

Should be higher than that if you're line of sight and 1/4 mile. On a set of new Samsung towers in SE Omaha, I get 99-103 outdoors line of sight at up to 6 miles. Indoor and one exterior wall and I drop to 105-115 and periodic signal loss at those distances.

For one that I'm centered on between sectors, I struggle to get those numbers at a mile.

Fairly sure two of the three are not at full power yet, maybe even the third.

Most likely coming from a different tower then. But 6 miles on B41 is more than I expected. What is the typical radius for all sprints lte bands?