Samsung Galaxy S4T L720T [Trimode] User Discussion Thread

lilotimz

Guest DigiClaws

I checked sprint.com and they are giving $135 for the SPH-L720 through their buy back program. That makes the SPH-L720T only $65 + tax. I may end up doing that. Or should I hold out to see what new tri-band phones are coming out in the next few months?

I checked sprint.com and they are giving $135 for the SPH-L720 through their buy back program. That makes the SPH-L720T only $65 + tax. I may end up doing that. Or should I hold out to see what new tri-band phones are coming out in the next few months?

I guess it just depends on how much you want a new phone.

I'll buy your s4 for $150 ( if it's in good condition.) :P

Sent from my LG-G2

Can you get rid of knox, root, and run custom ROMs on they 720T?

Any idea if 720T ROMs will be common or will people just make 720 versions?

Is there enough of a difference in the two devices where a 720 root method or ROM wouldn't work on a 720T?

-Mike

Is there enough of a difference in the two devices where a 720 root method or ROM wouldn't work on a 720T?

-Mike

That's what I would like to know too. I just assumed having 2 more radio bands would make a big impact in the firmware at some level.

That's what I would like to know too. I just assumed having 2 more radio bands would make a big impact in the firmware at some level.

The radio firmware/baseband will be different, but that is separate from the ROM. Unless other specs changed, it might be close enough to use the T radio with a 720 ROM. I'm sure someone on XDA will start playing around soon.

-Mike

• Like 1

with it being triband i was under the impression that the snapdragon 600 wasn't able to do triband so that would make me think that the processor has been upgraded as well maybe the snapdragon 800 or a different processor all together 

The colloquial Snapdragon 600 is a standalone processor.  People need to understand that not every Qualcomm chipset incorporates a baseband and that a standalone processor has effectively no bearing on the RF capabilities of a separate baseband.

AJ

The colloquial Snapdragon 600 is a standalone processor.  People need to understand that not every Qualcomm chipset incorporates a baseband and that a standalone processor has effectively no bearing on the RF capabilities of a separate baseband.

AJ

While AJ is, of course, correct we have no indication that this is a new modem, either. Also, I don't think there's any reason 9x15 modems can't be Sprint Tri band.

While AJ is, of course, correct we have no indication that this is a new modem, either. Also, I don't think there's any reason 9x15 modems can't be Sprint Tri band.

I don't think the major specs are any different in terms of modem and processor than it is with the single band LTE GS4.  I just think new antennas were added for B26 and B41.  I wouldn't hold your breath on it.

I don't think the major specs are any different in terms of modem and processor than it is with the single band LTE GS4.  I just think new antennas were added for B26 and B41.  I wouldn't hold your breath on it.

Uh, Eric, 9x15 was the original modem in the S4.

That was a question I was working up the courage to ask.  Is there any means to get this phone to tell me all about itself?  Are there any test apps or hidden screens that I can extract that data from?

You mean like this?

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2040-bars-lie-for-lte-signal-strength-how-to-determine-your-actual-lte-signal-strength/

A major difference is that the MDM9615 standalone baseband is LTE Category 3, while the MSM8974 included baseband is LTE Category 4.  That has ramifications on the number of Resource Blocks that can be in use simultaneously and should affect performance on the 20 MHz TDD carrier(s) but not on the 5 MHz FDD carrier(s).

AJ

A major difference is that the MDM9615 standalone baseband is LTE Category 3, while the MSM8974 included baseband is LTE Category 4.  That has ramifications on the number of Resource Blocks that can be in use simultaneously and should affect performance on the 20 MHz TDD carrier(s) but not on the 5 MHz FDD carrier(s).

AJ

I'm surprised it would affect 20 MHz of TDD since that's half of 20 MHz FDD, which is where the main gains in Cat 4 are.

I'm surprised it would affect 20 MHz of TDD since that's half of 20 MHz FDD, which is where the main gains in Cat 4 are.

On the downlink, a 20 MHz TDD carrier has 100 RBs -- the same as in 20 MHz FDD carrier.

AJ

I'm not sure.  The title of that thread is:

"Bars Lie for LTE Signal Strength! How to determine your actual LTE signal strength"

I'm looking for identification of components, not signal strength.  I want to help answer these questions:

What processor?

What modem?

Is there a needle in that haystack of a thread that will get us there?  Or will I only learn how to gather information different from what we need, the hard way, and that is already available in Signal Check Pro?

AJ

AJ

p.s. that thread also states this:

NOTE: iPhones, LG Android devices and Triband LTE devices are not affected.  They do show LTE signal accurately.  Also, many Android 4.3 and later devices also show LTE signal strength accurately.  This thread will become obsolete soon as all Sprint devices in 2014 will be Triband and will display LTE signal strength correctly.

If you thought I was looking for signal data, for a Tri-Band question, it doesn't apply anyhow.

Edited by SturgeonGeneral

I'm looking for identification of components, not signal strength.  I want to help answer these questions:

What processor?

What modem?

Is there a needle in that haystack of a thread that will get us there?  Or will I only learn how to gather information different from what we need, the hard way, and that is already available in Signal Check Pro?

I just did a quick search on Google Play, and found this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cpuid.cpu_z

I tried it out and it doesn't seem to show modem info for me, but everything else is interesting. There are several other similar apps, but that appeared to be the cleanest and least gimmicky.

-Mike

Using the debug / config screen, it calls out the MDM9615

No idea how to get it to tell the processor.

Did you miss my reply to you just above yours..? Also, for what it's worth, every article I could find about the S4T indicated that other than tri-band capability, it would have the exact same specs as the S4.

-Mike

Did you miss my reply to you just above yours..? Also, for what it's worth, every article I could find about the S4T indicated that other than tri-band capability, it would have the exact same specs as the S4.

-Mike

Yep, but when I reloaded I saw it, installed the app quick, shot screens and edited.

Thanks Again!

• Like 1

Now that you have positively identified components to work with, what are the ramifications? What is good or bad about these? Compared to sensorly, I'm not seeing LTE connects until I get to places with least level 2 signal levels reported and generally that is 50%-66% success.

Is that a limitation of the device or can I do anything to improve upon that?