Samsung Galaxy S4T L720T [Trimode] User Discussion Thread

lilotimz

Daily? That seems a bit excessive.

Well, not on the weekends... but we're not a small store. We're on a first-name basis with the FedEx and UPS drivers.
  • Like 3

Guest DigiClaws

Will you be able to talk and surf on the tri-band S4 like you can now with the single band S4? Or is it going to be like the S4 mini, one or the other?

Will you be able to talk and surf on the tri-band S4 like you can now with the single band S4? Or is it going to be like the S4 mini, one or the other?

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-356-teaser-samsung-galaxy-s4-2-3/

To head off the obvious questions in the meantime, no SVDO, no SVLTE, as expected.

Sorry. Not familiar with SVDO and SVLTE. I'm going to look them up. Thanks.

That means no simultaneous data and voice with EVDO and LTE.

It's cool that it had all three radios enabled without any update needed. Just waiting for my G2 to be updated. As much as I am not thrilled with the Spark icon, I cannot wait to see it in my notification bar.

Guest DigiClaws

Ok. So am I to assume the reason for no SVLTE is cost or power consumption or both? Wouldn't SVDO and SVLTE be a good thing and a selling point?

Ok. So am I to assume the reason for no SVLTE is cost or power consumption or both? Wouldn't SVDO and SVLTE be a good thing and a selling point?

High costs and the time to develop it is not worth it as less and less people are using voice calls each year. 

• Like 1

As far as SignalCheck goes, I have some disappointing news.. unless Tim's phone is unique, it looks like Samsung is still not reporting any 'extra' LTE data, such as GCI, PCI, and TAC. I had high hopes that this specific device would change that, but that is not the case, at least not on the initial release. More disturbing is that it also reports 310-120 to Android even when the enginerring screen (can't believe they haven't fixed that yet either) says 311-490.

I've never been able to get in contact with anyone useful at Samsung, but I'm going to make a push tomorrow to bark up the right tree. The incorrect MCC-MNC reporting is going to goof up other things besides my cute little app.

-Mike

• Like 3

As far as SignalCheck goes, I have some disappointing news.. unless Tim's phone is unique, it looks like Samsung is still not reporting any 'extra' LTE data, such as GCI, PCI, and TAC. I had high hopes that this specific device would change that, but that is not the case, at least not on the initial release. More disturbing is that it also reports 310-120 to Android even when the enginerring screen (can't believe they haven't fixed that yet either) says 311-490.

I've never been able to get in contact with anyone useful at Samsung, but I'm going to make a push tomorrow to bark up the right tree. The incorrect MCC-MNC reporting is going to goof up other things besides my cute little app.

-Mike

They would certainly sell more phones to S4GRU users ;)

• Like 2

Sounds like a S5 will follow soon.

Chang Dong-hoon, Samsung VP and head of its design group has reportedly suggested the S5 will make its debut at Mobile World Congress, held annually in Barcelona during February.

FromZDNET DNET

Sent from my SPH-L900

Sounds like a S5 will follow soon.

Chang Dong-hoon, Samsung VP and head of its design group has reportedly suggested the S5 will make its debut at Mobile World Congress, held annually in Barcelona during February.

FromZDNET DNET

Sent from my SPH-L900

I'm not buying what that dude is selling, both the S3 and S4 held separate events. Why compete with MWC news when you are big enough to make an entire day/event of your news?

• Like 1

So, how's reception so far with this S4T?  Just curious if it's similar to or slightly worse than the N5 in terms of LTE/3G connectivity.

Taken all at the same spot...

Samsung Galaxy S4T [L720T]

UZkMSHg.png?1

LTE B41

CkU42sG.png?1

Nexus 5 

pqbqxWY.png?1

B25 LTE [stuck on it... Spark update required for B41 spotting..]

9qrEzFN.png?1

LG G2

Z0snxnl.png?1

B41

fjXIIg9.png?1

• Like 3

Taken all at the same spot...

Samsung Galaxy S4T [L720T]

LTE B41

Nexus 5 

B25 LTE [stuck on it... Spark update required for B41 spotting..]

LG G2

B41

G2 is looking pretty bad compared to those numbers.  Disappointed with the B41 performance on it, too.  We'll see what the spark update does though.  Thanks for the post.

G2 is looking pretty bad compared to those numbers.  Disappointed with the B41 performance on it, too.  We'll see what the spark update does though.  Thanks for the post.

Yeah, I know my G2 is pretty bad. That's why I bought a Samsung GN3 to hold me over until 800 MHz LTE lights up in Harrisburg.

The GN3 holds onto LTE very well. It doesn't take too much to have poor LTE reception with the G2.

I was really hoping the L720T was going to be a great performer!