Samsung Galaxy S5 Announced - Launch Date 4/11/14

illest_ios

Hmm being announced on my birthday...interesting it is on a Monday. I have seen some rumors of the s5, and am very skeptical of a lot of it. The design though has to change. And I dont see a release until april.

Leaning towards the HTC M8 unless it's A) not spark or B) S5 blows it out of the water.

Judging from the emoticon, I would say that you have already made your choice.

(Yes, IP.Board has problems with "parentheses B.")

AJ

• Like 1

Leaning towards the HTC M8 unless it's A) not spark or B) S5 blows it out of the water.

The M8 will be Spark enabled. Sprint confirmed all devices released in 2014 will be Spark. However, it looks like it'll be an HTC One w/ a Snapdragon 800 CPU imo, maybe external SD slot.

The s5 will be better spec-wise, but not by a huge margin. It'll basically be between wanting front facing speakers or Amoled screen. My post is just speculation, and I'm taking some rumors into consideration but my final choice won't be made until the official specs are posted.

Sent from my Nexus 5

The M8 will be Spark enabled. Sprint confirmed all devices released in 2014 will be Spark. However, it looks like it'll be an HTC One w/ a Snapdragon 800 CPU imo, maybe external SD slot.

The s5 will be better spec-wise, but not by a huge margin. It'll basically be between wanting front facing speakers or Amoled screen. My post is just speculation, and I'm taking some rumors into consideration but my final choice won't be made until the official specs are posted.

Sent from my Nexus 5

HTC doesn't use AMOLED displays.  They use Super LCD displays.  I just hope the HTC M8 is at least 5" to 5.2" display, include an external SD card slot and include a beefy battery of at least 3000 maH.  I fully expect a Snapdragon 800 SOC since I don't think the Snapdragon 805 SOC is available yet. I would like to see the Pogo pins included in the HTC M8 as they were introduced in the HTC One Max as a method to add accessories.  

HTC doesn't use AMOLED displays. They use Super LCD displays. I just hope the HTC M8 is at least 5" to 5.2" display, include an external SD card slot and include a beefy battery of at least 3000 maH. I fully expect a Snapdragon 800 SOC since I don't think the Snapdragon 805 SOC is available yet. I would like to see the Pogo pins included in the HTC M8 as they were introduced in the HTC One Max as a method to add accessories.

Well, o meant front facing speakers (HTC) or Amoled screen (Samsung) as those are the major marketing objects. I'm personally interested more in the S5 because Samsung devices tend to have better RF.

Sent from my Nexus 5

HTC doesn't use AMOLED displays.  They use Super LCD displays.  I just hope the HTC M8 is at least 5" to 5.2" display, include an external SD card slot and include a beefy battery of at least 3000 maH.  I fully expect a Snapdragon 800 SOC since I don't think the Snapdragon 805 SOC is available yet. I would like to see the Pogo pins included in the HTC M8 as they were introduced in the HTC One Max as a method to add accessories.  

Assuming that both devices are already in production I find it difficult to believe that either will come with the s805 but only time will tell.

I just have no desire in increased specs except for battery life. We've kind of hit a wall performance wise. I mean, smartphones have better specs than most of our laptops. And my vision is not good enough to see anything finer than 1080p HD.

Until someone innovates something useful, I'm going to be sitting on the sidelines waiting for the next big thing. Wouldn't likely upgrade until I break something.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I'm with Robert on this. I stuck a zero lemon on my phone so honestly the only things I will be upgrading for is more bands and it breaking. Personally I'm waiting on a 4k 10-12inch tablet (purely for photography) but frankly the note 3 is pretty sweet for what I want. 

The gs5 announcement date is flexible, theres a fair chance it will happen at MWC, the actual launch can be 2 months later, but the announcement will be planned based upon what they feel they need to do in the market. If they are feeling there is another phone out that might attract buyers they can announce a little earlier to have people hang in there to buy the s5. 

Edit: Actually if they make a note with a truly flexible screen that folds out into a tablet, then I would be very interested :)

• Like 1

• 5.25-inch screen• qHD Super AMOLED screen• 2,560 x 1,440 pixels• 560 ppi• 2.5GHz quad-core Snapdragon processor• 20 megapixel camera• 2 megapixel front camera• 3 GB RAM• 3000 mAH battery• LTE support• Android 4.4 (KitKat)

Rear-box-Samsung-Galaxy-S5.jpg

Samsung has an unpacked event on feb 24th so that is probably the s5

A leaked pic came up today

• Like 1

• 5.25-inch screen• qHD Super AMOLED screen• 2,560 x 1,440 pixels• 560 ppi• 2.5GHz quad-core Snapdragon processor• 20 megapixel camera• 2 megapixel front camera• 3 GB RAM• 3000 mAH battery• LTE support• Android 4.4 (KitKat)

Photo shopped.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

I heard there will not be a Galaxy S5 this year. Instead, it will be the Galaxy S4S.

;)

AJ

• Like 2

I heard there will not be a Galaxy S5 this year. Instead, it will be the Galaxy S4S.

;)

AJ

That's why the first teaser said eposide one. Later comes The S5C.

Sent from my SPH-L900

Photo shopped.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I'm on the phone and can't really inspect the image closely, is that opinion or do you see artifacts?

Sent from my SPH-L900

I'm on the phone and can really inspect the image closely, is that opinion or do you see artifacts?

Sent from my SPH-L900

20.0 MP camera when Samsung themselves says it's going to be a 16 MP camera. Also 20.0 MP is a different font compared to everything around it. 

• Like 1

Stephen schenck at a Pocket Now has an article regarding a User Agent Profile that provides quite different specs than have been written about above.

He said: "The thing is, this Sprint GS5 identifies itself as having a 1080p screen and just 2GB of RAM, instead of the 3GB expected for the premium edition. There’s also mention of a 13MP main camera, instead of a 20MP or even 16MP component."

He says it really came from Sprint, if that is so, are we getting the lower quality version? Or perhaps both versions and we have not yet seen that file?

9 to 5 google referenced sammytoday that had a copy of the file--

UA Profile VendorSAMSUNG ModelSM-G900P CPUMDM9615 ScreenSize1920x1080 ColorCapableYes BitsPerPixel24 PixelAspectRatio1x1 ImageCapableYes ScreenSizeChar24x27 StandardFontProportionalYes OutputCharSet ISO-10646-UCS-2ISO-8859-1US-ASCIIUTF-8 InputCharSet ISO-10646-UCS-2ISO-8859-1US-ASCIIUTF-8 TextInputCapableYes KeyboardTouchKeypad NumberOfSoftKeys0 SoundOutputCapableYes VoiceInputCapableYes BluetoothProfile Headset ProfileHandsfree ProfileObject Push ProfileGeneral Object Exchange ProfileAdvanced Audio Distribution ProfileAudio/Video Remote Control ProfileMessage Access ProfilePhone Book Access ProfileHuman Interface Device ProfilePersonal Area Networking Profile AcceptDownloadableSoftwareYes DownloadableSoftwareSupport application/java-archive SoftwareNumberG900PVPU0ANB7 OSNameGoogle Android/L4 OSVendorGoogle/QUALCOMM OSVersion4.4.2 JavaEnabledYes JavaPlatform MIDP-2.1SPRINTPCS-3.1 JVMVersion Dalvik CcppAccept application/java-archiveapplication/oggapplication/xhtml+xmlapplication/sdpaudio/aacaudio/amraudio/imelodyaudio/midaudio/midiaudio/mp3audio/mpeg3audio/mpegaudio/mpgaudio/x-midaudio/x-midiaudio/x-mp3audio/x-mpeg3audio/x-mpegaudio/x-mpgvideo/mpeg4video/mp4video/3gppimage/gifimage/jpegimage/jpgimage/pngtext/htmltext/plaintext/x-vCardtext/x-vCalendar CcppAccept-Charset ISO-10646-UCS-2ISO-8859-1US-ASCIIUTF-8 CcppAccept-Language en-uses-us AudioInputEncoder AMR VideoInputEncoder h.264 SupportedBluetoothVersion4.0 SecuritySupport SSL-3.0TLS-1.0 SupportedBearers IPv4IPv6SMS BrowserNameAndroid Webkit BrowserVersionAppleWebkit 537.36 FramesCapableYes TablesCapableYes PreferenceForFramesYes DownloadableBrowserApps No JavaAppletEnabledNo JavaScriptEnabledYes JavaScriptVersion1.7 HtmlVersion5.0 XhtmlVersion1.1 XhtmlModules XHTML 1.0 StrictXHTML 1.0 TransitionalXHTML 1.0 FramesetXHTML Basic 1.0 WapDeviceClassn/a WapVersionn/a WmlVersion n/a WmlDeckSize0 Push-Accept text/plain Push-Accept-Encoding base64quoted\-printable Push-Accept-AppID x-wap-application:wml.ua* Push-MsgSize1400 Push-Accept-Charset ISO-8859-1ISO-8859-15 Push-Accept-Language en-uses-us MmsMaxMessageSize2097152 MmsMaxImageResolution1600x1200 MmsCcppAccept application/smilapplication/vnd.wap.mms-messageapplication/vnd.wap.multipart.relatedapplication/vnd.wap.multipart.mixedapplication/vnd.oma.drm.messageapplication/vnd.smaftext/plaintext/x-vCardtext/x-vCalendarimage/jpegimage/jpgimage/bmpimage/wbmpimage/gifaudio/midiaudio/amraudio/wavaudio/mp3video/3gpp MmsCcppAcceptCharSet US-ASCIIISO-8859-1UTF-8 MmsCcppAcceptLanguage en-uses-us MmsCcppAcceptEncoding base64 MmsVersion 1.2 PssVersion3GPP-R9 MultimediaPlaybackSupportYes MultimediaStreamingSupportYes MultimediaEncodingSupportYes MultimediaPlayerQualcomm QTV/7.01.01 MultimediaEncoderQualcomm QCamcorder/2.4 MultimediaEncoderDisplaySize 1920*10801440*10801280*720320*240 MultimediaFileFormatForDecoder MP43GP3G2WMVASFAVIFLVMKVM4A3GAAMRAACMP3WMAOGGOGAWAVFLACQCP MultimediaFileFormatForEncoder MP4 MultimediaVideoDisplaySize 1920*1080 MultimediaMaximumFrameRateForPlayback 30fps MultimediaMaximumFrameRateForStreaming 30fps MultimediaMaximumFrameRateForEncoding 30fps MultimediaMaximumBitRateForPlayback 80Mbps MultimediaMaximumBitRateForStreaming 2Mbps MultimediaMaximumBitRateForEncoding 48Mbps VideoCodecsForDecoding H.263 H.264 (AVC) MPEG4 VC1 Sorenson Spark MP43 WMV7 WMV8 VP8H.265 (HEVC) VideoCodecsForEncoding H.264 BP/HPH.263 P0 AudioCodecsForDecoding MP3AACAAC+eAAC+WMAFLACVorbisAMR-NBAMR-WBQCELPEVRC AudioCodecsForEncoding QCELPEVRCAACAMR-NB PictureMailSupport No VideoMailSupport No MobileOriginatedSmsSupport Yes DataNetworkTypes IS2000EVDODOrAWiFiLTE GLMSClientVendor AcmeVindor1 GLMSProtocolVersion 1.0 GLMSClientVersion 1.1 FMRadioTransmitCapable No FMRadioReceiveCapable Yes NavigationKeyPadSupport KeyboardNavigation Pad SupportedApplications Sprint ZoneVisual VoicemailLumenLookoutScoutSprint TVSprint Music PlusNext Radio1WeatherCBS SportsMessaging PlusSprint Worldwide AppV8 WidgetVoWiFi TotalDeviceMemory2GB RAM TotalDeviceFlash16GB ROM ExternalMemorySlotYes ExternalMemoryMaxSize64GB SDXC AudioJack3.5mm VideoJackNo DLNACapableYes FrontCameraMegaPixels2M FrontCameraHighestImageResolution1936x1096 FrontCameraZoomCapableNo FrontCameraBuiltInFlashNo FrontCamcorderResolution1936x1096 FrontCamcorderZoomCapableNo BackCameraMegaPixels13M BackCameraHighestImageResolution1920x1080 BackCameraZoomCapableYes BackCameraBuiltInFlashYes BackCamcorderResolution1920x1080 BackCamcorderZoomCapableYes DSSClientVersionSZ_5.2.00

--Sorry it's so dense, I haven't figured out how to get my Samsung 10.1 to give me a useful edit window.

Each of these sites also have speculated if Sprint is going to be limited to the STANDARD model and not the PRIME model.

Rear-box-Samsung-Galaxy-S5.jpg

specs were true maybe id get the s5 or s4s lol

I'm confident that if there are 2 versions of the S5 Sprint will have both, or the better of them. They aren't going to be able to afford having a inferior model to their rivals. If they don't have the premier version (if that exists) it will be a huge disappointment. Like carrying the iPhone 5C and not the 5S.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk