November 17, 2013 Severe Weather Outbreak

owensri2

Just arrived south of the high risk area to chase this storm system, the SPC has issued a high risk for most of Indiana, Western Ohio, Central/Eastern Illinois, and Northern Kentucky if your live in this area or around the moderate risk area please tune in and listen to the weather.   There is a good chance for violent long-track tornadoes today as well as large hail and damaging wind, this could be a particularly dangerous situation for about 10% of the United States population.  Currently staging in Washington, Ky and either going to move further west or drift north to chase (hopefully before the daylights fizzles out) will take pictures of any tornadoes I am able to chase.  Storms should arrive around 4-5pm in the form of a squall line with supercells ahead of the front in central/southern Indiana.     

Well it has knocked Sprint voice down around here.  I'm getting normal LTE strength but am roaming on US Cellular 1x.  Some areas are without power, but there are at least 10 Sprint sites I'm within 1x800 range of so I'm guessing the whole network around here is having issues.

The storm made it through our little town in northwest ohio. we had a tornado hit another town from us and took out the church and a lot of homes. I was at work and we had to take in some people that didn't want to travel in the nasty weather. i have been there for a year now, and this is my first experience working at Dollar General where it has been this bad and keeping customers in the store with us! hope everyone else is safe! prayers for everyone!!

The storm completely missed me in central Indiana Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

yeah crazy....I'm in west Indy burbs(Avon) and kept getting emergency service warning for tornado warnings while watching football today but I kept seeing sunshine. Seriously though about an hr north they got hammered. Weird how it just split and went around Indianapolis

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I remember the Alabama April 27, 2011 outbreak...we're always under the gun when these storms hit, because (usually) they travel from westward---->eastward and meet the gulf moisture coming up from Alabamas coast..and they strengthen like crazy near T-town (tuscaloosa) ...I'm almost due east of Tuscaloosa, bout 100 miles.

To have lived where I do for the past 32 years, and the worst damage we've had on the property is a cedar tree that was 20ft away from the house sorta leaned over onto the roof..it did a little damage to the corner and that was it -- I feel very lucky.

I think being near a large body of water (Coosa River) helps out, plus I'm only a couple of miles from Lay Lake, which is river-fed and dam controlled.

I feel for anyone who's dealing with devastation this morning after the horrific events of yesterday, wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I always try to help via volunteering with Southern Company through my wife's work when this happens in our state, they actually put people on the ground in the communities to help with the clean-up effort.

We got lucky in Northwest Indiana. It got real dark, and the tornado sirens sounded across at least 4 towns, but no funnel cloud or tornado was ever spotted. I was out to lunch at the time, my phone was the first to get emergency alerts for flash flood, then tornado warning, about 10 minutes before the storm struck. The rest of the phones in the restaurant went bonkers about 5 minutes later. T-Mobile phones got a warning last, right when the storm struck and simultaneous to when the tornado sirens started sounding. IDK if that was coincidence or both relying on the same source. 

Once the storm struck it took awhile for it to actually kick up, then it went white out and sideways rain for a bit then it went away. It blew through very fast. 

No power outages by us, and no real damage, but I've heard of some people losing power. We had some STRONG winds later yesterday, up to 60 MPH gusts they said were possible. We had the lights flicker a bunch from that. 

For once I'm actually glad it's cold again, and no more high wind! 

Still without power in West Michigan.  Bought a generator from a co-worker and my electrician hooked it into my circuit panel so the house is pretty much up and running.  With no one home right now, I turned it off, but it will get fired up right when I get home.

Consumers Energy still is estimating 11/23 11PM (their current default) for restoration, but our status went from awaiting assessment to Crew assigned this morning.