My rambling's and things I find...

mhammett

Looks pretty innocuous. My city has thousands of wooden poles, most taller and more visibly annoying. The issue that a lot of cities will have is they have to prohibit all utility companies equally from having wooden utility poles. And many cities do indeed have buried utility requirements. But this is more often an issue in Western suburban communities, that are relatively new. Older cities, especially on the East Coast, have really old above ground utility infrastructure. Just like these wooden poles.

And I would recommend that Sprint and their partners, like Mobilitie, work out deals to colocate on existing utility poles and easements. If they can jump on many utility franchise agreements with cities, they may be able to skip the planning/approval and possibly even building permit requirements.

This. Charlotte, along with the handful of cities I've visited on this side of the country, use utility poles for everything outside of new (i.e. less than 25 years old) strictly residential neighborhoods. Throw in anything commercial and you're surrounded by wooden utility poles or in some cases metal light poles. So here at least they already have poles pretty much anywhere you'd want a small cell. Not sure about weight load on the existing poles, but at least there shouldn't be any irrational objection from the municipalities for new ones.

For pole-less neighborhoods, the only ones here would be better served by a well-tuned macro than a network of small cells.

• Like 3

Ericsson did a few of those in the New Orleans area back in 2014. Short poles with omni "cans" at the top. They only ever lit them up as SISO 3G though, and they used the old RRUS 11 as opposed to the 31. I'm hoping they canned that project in favor of Nokia small cells.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is there a map of the MSCs and cores?

I know one can get a list of MSCs from the maps and one can then do some research to actually find them.

I know there's a core in Chicago and IIRC, it's either in Chicago proper or Bridgeview, but that's from speculation based on prior testing work by Sprint.

Is there a map of the MSCs and cores?

I know one can get a list of MSCs from the maps and one can then do some research to actually find them.

I know there's a core in Chicago and IIRC, it's either in Chicago proper or Bridgeview, but that's from speculation based on prior testing work by Sprint.

I was asked by a source not to do that for security purposes.  Yes, even though the information exists for them to gather it themselves.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been gathering information about MSCs and cores in my area, largely through carrier maps, building lists, etc. Most have registered switches with CLLIs, but often just searching that address will tell you what company has that facility.Some information is from property records, some from EPA records for generator fuel storage, some probably from old phone records, etc.

It is geographically limited and by no means guaranteed to be complete within that.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15ZBWRVe5hVKfDLjsF3hbRCIj7sQ&usp=sharing

Trying to get into the mobile backhaul game, so figuring out where to go. If anyone has leads on doing business with the carriers, let me know.

• Like 1

Well, a new tactic might have worked. A Tweet to Guenther got me in touch with Sprint's VP, Network Engineering and Deployment. Hopefully I can get some traction there.

Has Sprint changed their backhaul capacity at all? I believe it was last rumored that it was 1 gig to the tower. I've heard in some areas, some cell companies want an entire sheath of dark fiber. Post in a Premier thread if it's too sensitive for public consumption.

• 3 months later...