USB Dongle Jig for recovering from brick on Samsung

pyroscott

Figured I would post this here in case someone hadn't heard about it. This USB Jig http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053H73JQ/ref=ox_ya_os_product will automatically put your Samsung phone into download mode so that you can flash firmware with ODIN in case you accidentally flash a corrupted firmware or anything else that might brick your phone and not allow the button combo to put the phone into download mode. $7 is a small price to pay to avoid a useless brick. I have read claims that it works on both gingerbread and ICS and that it works with Epic 4G, Epic 4G Touch, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus and a host of other Samsung phones.

This also resets the flash count, in case you need to return it for warranty issues you can reset the count and flash stock unrooted firmware and the phone will appear to have never been rooted. Samsung may or may not remove the ability for this to reset flash count, but it still can get into download mode.

There is a handy guide made on XDA for the international SGSII, but the process is pretty much the same for any phone. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1402286

I don't know if there is a similar jig for HTC phones, if anyone knows I would be interested to know. Motorola is said to have a "factory cord" or something that allows similar functionality on Motorola Phones, again, if anyone knows for sure, let me know.

• Like 1

I don't know if there is a similar jig for HTC phones, if anyone knows I would be interested to know. Motorola is said to have a "factory cord" or something that allows similar functionality on Motorola Phones, again, if anyone knows for sure, let me know.

Is the factory cord by Motorola sold anywhere?

Strange, I wrote a post on my laptop and thought I sent it earlier today with those links, but alas the ghost of post past stepped in and made the post go poof. lol Oh well,

So yeah, for a while now, I figured that Motorola might have something like that, but getting someone to spill the beans confirming that they do is like pulling teeth. No one want to do it. lol

TS

unfortunately the sammy usb jig doesnt get you into download mode if you have a hard brick :(

That sucks. Is there anything someone can use at home to recover from hard brick? Or do you need specialized tools?

That sucks. Is there anything someone can use at home to recover from hard brick? Or do you need specialized tools?

well.. for the epic 4g touch specifically.. we've seen a fair amount of bricks using ICS kernels. this leaves you with nothing but a working blue led light. i have even heard that the special jtag services havent been able to bring it back either... which is crazy.. but this is just what i have heard.. can not confirm myself on the jtag procedure. here's the link for jtag service: http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-epic-4g-touch-jtag-brick-repair/

if you run into a hard brick you can usually get these swapped out at a Sprint corp store(they may have to order one in for you). Free if you have TEP and $35 without TEP. You could be sneaky and convince them it was a software issue.. doing an official update and all of the sudden.. bricked ;) ... and it'll be free.. TEP or not.

• Like 1

well.. for the epic 4g touch specifically.. we've seen a fair amount of bricks using ICS kernels. this leaves you with nothing but a working blue led light. i have even heard that the special jtag services havent been able to bring it back either... which is crazy.. but this is just what i have heard.. can not confirm myself on the jtag procedure. here's the link for jtag service: http://mobiletechvid...g-brick-repair/

if you run into a hard brick you can usually get these swapped out at a Sprint corp store(they may have to order one in for you). Free if you have TEP and $35 without TEP. You could be sneaky and convince them it was a software issue.. doing an official update and all of the sudden.. bricked ;) ... and it'll be free.. TEP or not.

Spendy, but WAY cheaper than a new phone...

Close but no cigar. Availability = out of stock.

If all else fails, you can make one yourself.

There is a guy making these cables for the Kindle Fire for $16 on xda. The KF was supported by the Motorola cable, but I don't know if it goes the other way. He is out of stock until April though. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=23049902&postcount=254

• Like 1

Well, I checked it out and the usb dongle jig works perfectly on the GNex. I shut off the phone, inserted the jig and viola, download mode.

Also, the kindle fire cable works for many of the Motorola phones. I looked through the forum and the guy making the cables wrote out a list of Motorola devices that it worked for.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk