LTE Plus / Enhanced LTE (was "Sprint Spark" - Official Name for the Tri-Band Network)

Sounds like you are being throttled per the Terms of Service you agreed to.  Nothing to see here.  What would be shocking is if you didn't get throttled.  You were saying you use Sprint LTE as your primary Internet service and used greater than 5GB in one week.  So none of us are really shocked.

I totally agree, I'm not shocked either. I use about 4GBs a month, most of it, which comes from using Spotify, Speediest.net, LTE Discovery, Netflix, and Youtube. I've only hit 5GB in a month once and that was to watch an episode of House of Cards. What's the most in a month you've used?

I totally agree, I'm not shocked either. I use about 4GBs a month, most of it, which comes from using Spotify, Speediest.net, LTE Discovery, Netflix, and Youtube. I've only hit 5GB in a month once and that was to watch an episode of House of Cards. What's the most in a month you've used?

I use about 10-15 GB's myself.  But I'm on an AT&T 30GB plan.  I do a lot of tethering, though.  But since I'm on a limited bucket, tethering is included in my plan.  I need a hotspot for my S4GRU business usage.

I use about 10-15 GB's myself.  But I'm on an AT&T 30GB plan.  I do a lot of tethering, though.  But since I'm on a limited bucket, tethering is included in my plan.  I need a hotspot for my S4GRU business usage.

I thought you would be on a Sprint plan.

I thought you would be on a Sprint plan.

My family and I use AT&T.  We do not live in an area with Sprint service.  I do have one Sprint line when I travel into Sprint service areas.

Not in the part of the US that he lives in. No native Sprint service there :/

-Anthony

The awkward moment when you realize the hero of your preferred Sprint news site and forum is an AT&T sub.. :'(

/s

Hopefully Sprint builds out something for you and your family soon, or perhaps you strike a gold mine and move to Chicago to enjoy that fine fine network Sprint built out there? ;)

• Like 6

My family and I use AT&T.  We do not live in an area with Sprint service.  I do have one Sprint line when I travel into Sprint service areas.

Would Band 26 800 Mhrz LTE help you?

The awkward moment when you realize the hero of your preferred Sprint news site and forum is an AT&T sub.. :'(

/s

Hopefully Sprint builds out something for you and your family soon, or perhaps you strike a gold mine and move to Chicago to enjoy that fine fine network Sprint built out there? ;)

I appreciate my Sprint service when I travel.  Which is usually monthly.  Then I don't have to worry about my data bucket.

• Like 2

WOW rural much? ;)

Is there any hope for the future? Or is all hope lost?

There is no Sprint service between Sioux Falls, South Dakota and Couer d' Alene, Idaho along I-90.  That's a long stretch.  And I live along it.  Sprint will possibly convert their WiMax Protection Sites to full build Network Vision sites one day.  I live near one.  Additionally, Sprint will have to add LTE 1900 service in a lot of places in Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota and South Dakota by the end of 2016 as a build out requirement to their G Block licenses.  So it may arrive in my area.  Time will tell.

• Like 3

The data management clauses specify latency throttling. Not speed throttling. Your ping should be way down, but not your speed. We have many reports of B41 sites being misconfigured to have extremely low speeds. (I may be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure we determined that it would be latency throttling.)

The clauses you're thinking about are the congestion clauses changing your network priority when towers are congested. These congestion clauses are network-wide regardless of your plan or account. Some plans specify a streaming bandwidth limit however that is separate from the congestion clauses, hence why the plan does make a difference in that regard.

• Like 2

is it possible to get a new plan without de-prioritization? ie business or other special plans?

The main point of de-prioritizing a class or plan, is to provide higher prioritization to something else.

what is the 'something else' ?

Otherwise, if everyone is de-prioritized the same, how exactly is that any different than the same congestion without de-prioritization?

ie, a ~30 meg sector with 300 simultaneous active connections is still going to deliver ~0.1 megs per user if everyone is de-prioritized equally.

• Like 2

I have a question.. Shouldn't B41 always be priority? Around a tower in Milwaukee area, B41 and other bands are strong, yet my Note 4 switches between 25/41 and usually is on 25 on that tower. Is that something to do with the Note 4 or the network? Spark isn't complete here so likely isn't optimized. This happens on other towers too. Maybe I'll have to drive to the nearest completed market to see what my phone does.

I have a question.. Shouldn't B41 always be priority? Around a tower in Milwaukee area, B41 and other bands are strong, yet my Note 4 switches between 25/41 and usually is on 25 on that tower. Is that something to do with the Note 4 or the network? Spark isn't complete here so likely isn't optimized. This happens on other towers too. Maybe I'll have to drive to the nearest completed market to see what my phone does.

I don't think what your seeing implies that B41 isn't still top priority. 

B41 is the highest band spectrum ever used for cellular data in the US. The propagation of it is a lot more sensitive to the environment than any other service. It's pretty normal for me to go from a "strong" B41 signal, to no B41, in a split second by doing things like walking from a parking lot to the inside of a car, or walking past a building.

What you've described sounds normal so far. If the phone can grab usable B41, it is. If B41 drops, it's safely landing on B25.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I thought sprint already had this three working on the network?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought sprint already had this three working on the network?

Working != Financing

Previously, they were working. Now, they are both working and extending Sprint new credit (or financing) for that work, through their various partners.

It's similar to when you buy a Sprint phone+plan. You pay for the plan (working), but you can also get a subsidized / payment plan device (or finance the phone) if your credit allows.  This is not an perfect analogy, but I think it's enough to clarify the distinction.

Working != Financing

Previously, they were working. Now, they are both working and extending Sprint new credit (or financing) for that work, through their various partners.

It's similar to when you buy a Sprint phone+plan. You pay for the plan (working), but you can also get a subsidized / payment plan device (or finance the phone) if your credit allows. This is not an perfect analogy, but I think it's enough to clarify the distinction.

Ok I fully understand thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

So I finally have band 41 turned on in my area and one of my main towers and am regularly seeing it in the last few days. However I have noticed that my signal strength on my phone is rarely less than -105 db and the side effect of this is my battery is draining MUCH faster.

I have the LG G2 and the battery is pretty strong on it. Often I'd end the day with 50% left, admittedly my usuage varies, but I'm definitely a heavier user of my phone, in the last few days I have consistently found myself in the 10-20% battery life range.

Hopefully phone companies realize this and offer larger batteries due to this side effect of faster cell service, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen with the Galaxy S6 which is rumored to have just a 2500 mah battery.

So I finally have band 41 turned on in my area and one of my main towers and am regularly seeing it in the last few days. However I have noticed that my signal strength on my phone is rarely less than -105 db and the side effect of this is my battery is draining MUCH faster.

I have the LG G2 and the battery is pretty strong on it. Often I'd end the day with 50% left, admittedly my usuage varies, but I'm definitely a heavier user of my phone, in the last few days I have consistently found myself in the 10-20% battery life range.

Hopefully phone companies realize this and offer larger batteries due to this side effect of faster cell service, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen with the Galaxy S6 which is rumored to have just a 2500 mah battery.

I hear ya. On the other hand, it's the network that decides which band you're parked on, so it's not out of the question that Sprint could have phones parked on b26 when idle.