Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

Any word on Beckley? Ntelos better get it together if they wanna launch some markets by 2014. Been kinda quiet around here. But 3g is a lot faster than normal the last week or so.

Nothing new here. Data speeds have actually taken a hit here at school. Fingers crossed it's in a testing phase and they launch LTE soon after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just had a chat with an nTelos employee. Sounds to me like they might be building out all the LTE first and then launching/turning on most if not all at once.

Interesting...Their conference call earlier this week suggested the opposite.

• Like 1

Today I was in the Morgantown mall and stopped in the nTelos store for my monthly dose of laughs. "when are you guys going to get LTE in Morgantown?". Was my standard question. This time the rep said "i think early next year but they are installing it in Beckley and some Virginia cities right now". He went on to ask me how many lines I had and I told him I was with Sprint and that I was aware they used nTelos towers throughout much of WV. He said I was crazy for having Sprint in WV as it was more expensive than nTelos for the exact same coverage. I told him I was on Sero and his comment was that id never be allowed to upgrade again and still keep that plan. Then he went on the say that Sprint phones will not be allowed to use nTelos' 4G LTE network because the companies agreement was for 3g only. He said that nTelos customers won't be allowed to use Sprints LTE network either.

Any truth to this or is this typical worker bee jargon? If Sprint is not over building in WV and there is no 4g agreement then I'd be screwed.

• Like 1

Today I was in the Morgantown mall and stopped in the nTelos store for my monthly dose of laughs. "when are you guys going to get LTE in Morgantown?". Was my standard question. This time the rep said "i think early next year but they are installing it in Beckley and some Virginia cities right now". He went on to ask me how many lines I had and I told him I was with Sprint and that I was aware they used nTelos towers throughout much of WV. He said I was crazy for having Sprint in WV as it was more expensive than nTelos for the exact same coverage. I told him I was on Sero and his comment was that id never be allowed to upgrade again and still keep that plan. Then he went on the say that Sprint phones will not be allowed to use nTelos' 4G LTE network because the companies agreement was for 3g only. He said that nTelos customers won't be allowed to use Sprints LTE network either.

Any truth to this or is this typical worker bee jargon? If Sprint is not over building in WV and there is no 4g agreement then I'd be screwed.

Better not be true. It sounds too dumb almost to be true. Only letting your customers have LTE in a few cities in WV and VA? That just seems ridiculous. Fingers crossed someone more knowledgable can answer that question.

Better not be true. It sounds too dumb almost to be true. Only letting your customers have LTE in a few cities in WV and VA? That just seems ridiculous. Fingers crossed someone more knowledgable can answer that question.

If you follow some of nTelos' recent presentations, they state they are building out LTE in their wholesale footprint to serve Sprint.  Maybe in their non-wholesaled footprint (eastern VA, etc.), their LTE buildout won't be shared at all since Sprint obviously has that covered on their own.

• Like 1

If you follow some of nTelos' recent presentations, they state they are building out LTE in their wholesale footprint to serve Sprint. Maybe in their non-wholesaled footprint (eastern VA, etc.), their LTE buildout won't be shared at all since Sprint obviously has that covered on their own.

That sounds like it makes more sense. I can see that happening but not in a place where nTelos IS the provider for sprint coverage.

By the way, I managed to get the 4 markets were LTE is initially launching from the live chat last night:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4969-ntelos-q3-2013-conference-call-upcoming/?p=239096

Maybe someone else can get a start date out of them?  In a conference this week, they said "in time for the holiday selling season", so maybe that's in a couple weeks?

• Like 1

By the way, I managed to get the 4 markets were LTE is initially launching from the live chat last night:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4969-ntelos-q3-2013-conference-call-upcoming/?p=239096

Maybe someone else can get a start date out of them?  In a conference this week, they said "in time for the holiday selling season", so maybe that's in a couple weeks?

Can't get my PayPal to work correctly so I haven't been able to become a sponsor. I read a day or two ago it was Beckley/Bluefield Waynesboro/Christiansburg initially. Luckily i'm in Beckley!!

Edited by shawneyboy123

Can't get my PayPal to work correctly so I haven't been able to become a sponsor. I read a day or two ago it was Beckley/Bluefield Waynesboro/Christiansburg initially. Luckily i'm in Beckley!!

Oh yeah, it was Waynesboro, Staunton, Bluefield, and Beckley.  Unfortunately, no New River Valley or Roanoke. :(

Oh yeah, it was Waynesboro, Staunton, Bluefield, and Beckley.  Unfortunately, no New River Valley or Roanoke. :(

I'm sure a place like Roanoke would follow soon after, i'm surprised Beckley is a first round kind of place over some of the other areas they cover. Guess we are test guinea pigs! 

Just had a chat with an nTelos employee. Sounds to me like they might be building out all the LTE first and then launching/turning on most if not all at once.

"What a great question!" Sheesh!

He said that nTelos customers won't be allowed to use Sprints LTE network either.Any truth to this or is this typical worker bee jargon? If Sprint is not over building in WV and there is no 4g agreement then I'd be screwed.

This had the same uppity tone as his previous statement - I'd file under "Doesn't know what he's talking about"
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

There is 4GLTE in Clifton forge and iron gate (Shentel), tiny towns compared to places like Roanoke, Christiansburg and Lynchburg. I have found eHRPD in Roanoke. It is available when the radio is initializing and then it falls back to evdo .

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Edited by mrancier

I tried contacting nTelos a few days ago to try and get an update and instead of them just saying by the holidays I was only told they have not released any information about 4G. So either that person was more stubborn or they're telling them not to say anything because they're way behind. Every tower here seems to have been upgraded physically though, so I don't know what is holding them back this far.

5upaze2u.jpg Any thoughts on this? Is nTelos doing their own version of Spark? Only thing is that instead of 1900 & 800 it's 1700 & 700.... Doesn't match up....Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doesn't match up for us if it goes down this way. Their pcs is on 1900 so they should roll that out for the wholesale with sprint.