Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

ya same thing last night. Did the ##update and connected to lte but was still having problems with lte getting bad ping times though. Not sure what was going on last night.

post-61131-147708618883_thumb.png

Ran a quick speed test to see about the bad pings. You are right these are terrible! The speeds are awful too. I'm over at Stonefield and this is the best test out of three [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the ups and downs are good but with the ping I couldnt really do much except check facebook at a slow pace.

a5f803a7ce659c25ec70bd6cca254653.pngd81cbe0c90f0a46294765ad4c87a113b.png

Now I think something is really up. It could just be me with a big conspiracy theory but I took a speed test with an nTelos phone and in the same exact spot as soon as that finished started on on my Sprint. I didn't screenshot right away so I couldn't show the little graph under the download and upload but it gets a nice burst of speed and then goes down within a second. What I was looking for was the ping times, this reminds me of Cricket and how they run traffic through a proxy.

I'm not sure what is really going on but maybe it is not the "network" it's some sort of network management. I'm going to do some other testing with the nTelos phone and see what I can come up with. I will say I have only used 6gb out of my unlimited and my month ends on the 25th so I wouldn't be in the throttled category.

I think Shentel is working on the network at this point. I had LTE up until about 2 or 3 months ago I use to have LTE in my office at my house in Greene which is between Standardsville and Ruckersville and use to get Band 25. Then I lost it. Yesterday I am able to pick up Band 26 in my office at the house, as well as the kitchen and part of the living room. 

I think Shentel is working on the network at this point. I had LTE up until about 2 or 3 months ago I use to have LTE in my office at my house in Greene which is between Standardsville and Ruckersville and use to get Band 25. Then I lost it. Yesterday I am able to pick up Band 26 in my office at the house, as well as the kitchen and part of the living room.

I understand that they are doing work on the network but what is happening just doesn't make sense. I am all for Band 26 deployment but in these city areas it struggles to keep up with demand. We need more 41 sites and I understand they are new to this and trying to fix the nTelos mess that was left for them but I don't understand why things were working great like they should and then sites are disappearing and now high pings.

I don't come here to bash Sprint or Shentel I just know you guys know more than I do but I would just love to see some real improvement because all of us have been waiting a long time

I understand that they are doing work on the network but what is happening just doesn't make sense. I am all for Band 26 deployment but in these city areas it struggles to keep up with demand. We need more 41 sites and I understand they are new to this and trying to fix the nTelos mess that was left for them but I don't understand why things were working great like they should and then sites are disappearing and now high pings.

I don't come here to bash Sprint or Shentel I just know you guys know more than I do but I would just love to see some real improvement because all of us have been waiting a long time

Ya I'm no expert my self. I'm just guessing that they are working on it. But we do need more Band 41 sites for sure esp. In Ch'ville/Albmarle esp with all the people who are coming over from nTelos to Sprint. 

I'm no expert, but is it possible an Internet line went down in that area and traffic is being temporarily rerouted through a much slower connection?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I'm not sure tbh. Would be nice to know if that is part of the problem or not. 

• Like 1

I'm no expert, but is it possible an Internet line went down in that area and traffic is being temporarily rerouted through a much slower connection?

I know the basics of Cellular and networking and we always do have internet problems in CVille but that wouldn't explain why an nTelos phone gets a low ping and I have a high when we are at the exact same B25 tower at the same time.

I talked to Sprint customer support tonight, Didn't leave me with a good taste in my mouth as I was hung up on during transfers twice and when I do actually get to "Advanced Technical Support" I was told that the nearest Sprint tower from me is 7 1/2 miles and that they cannot see any Sprint towers located in Charlottesville. Trying to explain the affiliate market situation didn't work either. 

What do you guys do when you have to call support? I tried to explain my situation with the high pings and low speeds and get that they do not service my area when clearly there is a Shentel owned tower less then half a mile from my home. 

Ugh. Rant over

Did you change your DNS? If that is what you think is causing the slow down. I know you can change it on android (and apple on wifi?? at least a quick google search) but you need a msl code on android. And the DNS settings reset themselves after some kind of update (prl ,system, or some other update).

If you live on the east side of town that is probably a Richmond market site they are seeing 7 1/2 miles away still not a nTelos site.  I personally don't call/talk to support they don't seem to know anything pretty much just reading from a book.

Did you change your DNS? If that is what you think is causing the slow down. I know you can change it on android (and apple on wifi?? at least a quick google search) but you need a msl code on android. And the DNS settings reset themselves after some kind of update (prl ,system, or some other update).

If you live on the east side of town that is probably a Richmond market site they are seeing 7 1/2 miles away still not a nTelos site.  I personally don't call/talk to support they don't seem to know anything pretty much just reading from a book.

I didn't change my DNS but I did do a "Reset Network Settings" from support. I normally do not use this option as it messes with my wifi passwords and such but was desperate for a fix. 

It seems to only be an issue for Sprint users. nTelos phones using the same site have the "normal" speeds and pings so I cant think of anything that would cause issues for us other than provisioning on Sprint's end.

You are exactly right about the Richmond Market site that they were talking about. It is the Zion Crossroads site. I went out the other night and ran a quick speed test and got a ping of 59 speeds are always so-so due to the amount of users on that one site. It just shocks me though that support has no clue about their affiliate markets when Shentel is branded under the Sprint name.

Got a call from a network tech regarding the ticket I submitted. He stated that they contacted Shentel network techs and that the problem should be resolved. He didn't elaborate on what it was even when I asked so I'm not sure what the deal really was. I did a speed test and things seem back to normal

• Like 3

Also, the only way I was actually able to get a ticket submitted was to tweet the CEO. I got a response back within a few minutes and the "customer advocacy group" called the next day and let me know that a ticket was placed and the apologized about support not knowing about the affiliate markets.

• Like 1

Got a call from a network tech regarding the ticket I submitted. He stated that they contacted Shentel network techs and that the problem should be resolved. He didn't elaborate on what it was even when I asked so I'm not sure what the deal really was. I did a speed test and things seem back to normal

Glad you got that resolved.

• 2 weeks later...

Some new B41 just went up in Strasburg, VA. It even has CA active already. This is the fastest test that I have ever seen personally. It was done around 4am today (Sunday) when there was very little load on the tower. I'm glad to see more B41 going active on the busier sites around here.

a120791735b8e995385dbfcee68139ad.jpg

• Like 9

Also found some new B41 in Mt Jackson, VA today. I was driving by, but it's the first I've seen it pop up. It would've had to have gone live in the past month or so. I just can't remember for sure the last time I went through there. In Shenandoah Co, I've now found B41 in Strasburg, Woodstock, Edinburg (corporate HQ of Shentel), and in Mt Jackson.

• Like 2