Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

Little Beckley now has three Sprint stores now due to the conversion of both nTelos stores in less than a week. They gutted the store, painted the walls yellow and popped up some tables in a matter of days, i've never seen a store be converted so quickly.

• Like 2

Little Beckley now has three Sprint stores now due to the conversion of both nTelos stores in less than a week. They gutted the store, painted the walls yellow and popped up some tables in a matter of days, i've never seen a store be converted so quickly.

Welcome to Shentel land.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 3

So maybe someone can help me out with this. My mother has been complaining for the past two or three days about service issues at her work. I, optimistically, assumed tower work because she said she is on 1X and can't receive messages or anything. However, today she made a call to complain and what she was told blew my mind. They did the usual ##UPDATE# and restart the device blah blah blah and with her still on 1X was told that actually, she isn't covered at all an that the nearest sprint tower is over 5 miles away. The screenshot blow is her workplace (Walmart) and a pin dropped across the street at the Sprint tower. She was also told her data isn't working because she has exceeded her 100mb roaming limit even though the data chart on Sprint's website shows that there are only 10mb used this billing period, again screenshot below. Of course my mother responds stating that just a week ago and for the past 5 years at the same desk she has had 4 bars of 3G/LTE in her office that she uses to tether her iPad to. The representative responds saying it was a glitch on the phone or an anomaly with her service because Sprint has never covered that area. 

Also in the screenshots is from the nTelos coverage map which is much more detailed and precise about actual coverage and it clearly shows the tower location in the middle of the swirly bits and that the best coverage is at her work so there is no way they can tell me they have never covered the area and that the nearest tower is over 5 miles away.

https://goo.gl/photos/p6vYfp7QgRPPgo7L8

So maybe someone can help me out with this. My mother has been complaining for the past two or three days about service issues at her work. I, optimistically, assumed tower work because she said she is on 1X and can't receive messages or anything. However, today she made a call to complain and what she was told blew my mind. They did the usual ##UPDATE# and restart the device blah blah blah and with her still on 1X was told that actually, she isn't covered at all an that the nearest sprint tower is over 5 miles away. The screenshot blow is her workplace (Walmart) and a pin dropped across the street at the Sprint tower. She was also told her data isn't working because she has exceeded her 100mb roaming limit even though the data chart on Sprint's website shows that there are only 10mb used this billing period, again screenshot below. Of course my mother responds stating that just a week ago and for the past 5 years at the same desk she has had 4 bars of 3G/LTE in her office that she uses to tether her iPad to. The representative responds saying it was a glitch on the phone or an anomaly with her service because Sprint has never covered that area.

Also in the screenshots is from the nTelos coverage map which is much more detailed and precise about actual coverage and it clearly shows the tower location in the middle of the swirly bits and that the best coverage is at her work so there is no way they can tell me they have never covered the area and that the nearest tower is over 5 miles away.

Can't say much about what she was told but I will confirm that the service has been pitiful here lately.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Try again, with you on the line, and give the information that you just gave us. Support should have the same info that you do, if they don't something needs to be done to fix that.

• Like 1

Have they put the nTelos towers in the sprint database yet. Because it would be great to see where they really are. Instead of Trip going through a bunch of info.

There should be 6+ towers within 5 miles of the area.

• Like 1

I'm in Roanoke va and I hVe been calling into sprint support and they age been great about calling me back with updates. I been having some issues with called not being able to complete slow data no data, I mean just about every problem and it happens to everyone that has sprint in the entire county. I was told that 8 towers near me are having work done plus the closest needed additional backhaul. I think we're going back to Verizon after the iPhone 7 release. And i really wish that wasn't the case bc I had several friends switch from them and AT&T to sprint and its been awfulness especially in the last month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in Roanoke va and I hVe been calling into sprint support and they age been great about calling me back with updates. I been having some issues with called not being able to complete slow data no data, I mean just about every problem and it happens to everyone that has sprint in the entire county. I was told that 8 towers near me are having work done plus the closest needed additional backhaul. I think we're going back to Verizon after the iPhone 7 release. And i really wish that wasn't the case bc I had several friends switch from them and AT&T to sprint and its been awfulness especially in the last month.

I don't blame you. Shentel will do a great job with that market but it will take time. I would probably say it will be good by end of next year.

What's the deal with sprint not turning on VoLTE and just build LTE only towers? I get that the LTE coverage isn't the best but there has to be another way to save money....

Data speed really is isn't a huge issue. Besides the call quality is so bad I can barely hear. Also I get worse service outside of the shentel/Ntelos area. Williamsburg and va beach was like the Stone Age.

How is AT&T compared to Verizon in southwest va?

Edited by tekjunkie

What's the deal with sprint not turning on VoLTE and just build LTE only towers? I get that the LTE coverage isn't the best but there has to be another way to save money....

Data speed really is isn't a huge issue. Besides the call quality is so bad I can barely hear. Also I get worse service outside of the shentel/Ntelos area. Williamsburg and va beach was like the Stone Age.

Sprint voice quality/coverage is very good(Very few would dispute that). VOIP will do nothing to improve coverage (would be worse in fact)So until Sprint's LTE coverage covers almost all of its 3G coverage VOIP is not an option. It sounds like you need to move to different carrier.
  • Like 4

If you're still in Roanoke, you're still on the old ntelos network. Shentel is working on improving the network now that they bought it out, but within a year or less, you should start seeing improvements over what you have now.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I was definitely looking forward to improvements but even outside of shentel area it's pretty spotty service. The reason I switched to sprint was bc I was looking forward to improvement. But oh well. We'll see there the next 2 months take us

I just spent 3 days in Virginia Beach.  My data connections and speeds were fine. :)

Oh yeah, saw this while at a gas station in West Virginia. Thought others here might find it as amusing as I did.

http://imgur.com/a/aQ7HZ

- Trip

I heard a radio commercial this morning at the gas station here in CVille and it said "nTelos customers did you know you can make the choice to leave without any penalties" and it went on about US Cellular

B41 switched on yesterday in Woodstock, VA. It's a good time too, with the county fair going on speeds have been so slow. It helped to have some usable speed last night in town.

• Like 3

B41 switched on yesterday in Woodstock, VA. It's a good time too, with the county fair going on speeds have been so slow. It helped to have some usable speed last night in town.

You are seeing the benefits of Shentel.   They will get it done even in difficult situations.

• Like 2

Does anyone have any clue how they are planning on using some of the 800 smr? Lake Monticello was one of the first things nTelos put up and it's all B25, I've been hoping for some B26 to light up because I can't even go into the Food Lion right across the road without losing LTE.

I have always wondered what made them choose 25 over 26 in some random places.

Does anyone have any clue how they are planning on using some of the 800 smr? Lake Monticello was one of the first things nTelos put up and it's all B25, I've been hoping for some B26 to light up because I can't even go into the Food Lion right across the road without losing LTE.

I have always wondered what made them choose 25 over 26 in some random places.

When you ask why nTelos done anything, you are asking a question that has no good answer.  nTelos jut fumbled a whole bunch of stuff.  But now, Shentel is working hard to fix the mess.  That is not easy.  Just give them some time. 

nTelos was not all bad they did have a lot more B41 installed before Shentel even launched one B41 site. The only bad thing they really did was have LTE on but only for their customers. Woodstock, VA was already deep into Shentel market before nTelos.

nTelos was not all bad they did have a lot more B41 installed before Shentel even launched one B41 site. The only bad thing they really did was have LTE on but only for their customers. Woodstock, VA was already deep into Shentel market before nTelos.

Woodstock is part of the original Shentel territory, but they had no B41 spectrum here until the ntelos deal went through. So this new found B41 is related to the merger.

• Like 2

Woodstock is part of the original Shentel territory, but they had no B41 spectrum here until the ntelos deal went through. So this new found B41 is related to the merger.

Then Shentel dropped the ball to begin with at auction. To claim that Shentel just snapped their fingers and most of nTelos has LTE is not correct.

Then Shentel dropped the ball to begin with at auction. To claim that Shentel just snapped their fingers and most of nTelos has LTE is not correct.

Shentel doesn't own spectrum, Sprint does. Even the ntelos spectrum was transferred to Sprint as part of the deal.

• Like 1