Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

Good speeds

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Thats a great shentel speed test!

Does anyone know if there have been magic boxes approved for those living in shentel areas?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if there have been magic boxes approved for those living in shentel areas?

I have seen nTelos airaves in Jackson Ohio, so I would expect they will have them.

I have seen nTelos airaves in Jackson Ohio, so I would expect they will have them.

Which brings up an interesting point, what is the MNC/MCC in such a case? Will the MB broadcast multiple providers? Will it be random based on which one the MB decides to use (assuming the donor broadcasts multiple)?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Thats a great shentel speed test!

I have a magic box in the Roanoke, VA area. Fails to configure. Sprint told me to send it back.

• Like 1

I have a magic box in the Roanoke, VA area. Fails to configure. Sprint told me to send it back.

Ah, Roanoke... I almost got killed there last week coming home from Martinsville. Trucker going about 65ish not paying attention to the stopped traffic getting on 81N from 581. He barely missed my bumper and took the shoulder. He then almost rear ended me again about 5 minutes later.

Back on topic, how's the reliability around there? Both times I've been in Martinsville in the past 6 months I've had around -100 B25 signal that will only work for about 30 seconds then stops until I airplane mode it and it works for another 30 seconds.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Apparently parts of the network are not ready yet in the backend for the MB. Shentel, since their operate their own network, may not be ready yet. It not working today may not mean it might not work in the future so try again in a little bit.

Apparently parts of the network are not ready yet in the backend for the MB. Shentel, since their operate their own network, may not be ready yet. It not working today may not mean it might not work in the future so try again in a little bit.

Hmm wonder how that will affect VoLTE. With just calling+ it won't matter, but if Shentel isn't ready for VoLTE when Sprint deploys it, would that mean it'll revert to CDMA for calls if you enter Shentel from Sprint? Or will it fallback to calling+?

Hmm wonder how that will affect VoLTE. With just calling+ it won't matter, but if Shentel isn't ready for VoLTE when Sprint deploys it, would that mean it'll revert to CDMA for calls if you enter Shentel from Sprint? Or will it fallback to calling+?

Perhaps that's part of the reason why sprint went with calling + as an initial rollout of VoLTE features... So as not to break compatibility with all of sprint's affiliate networks

Perhaps that's part of the reason why sprint went with calling + as an initial rollout of VoLTE features... So as not to break compatibility with all of sprint's affiliate networks

I mean in theory they should be able to transition even an active call from VoLTE to calling+, I think. My understanding of calling+ is basically wifi calling, just over LTE. So if VoLTE can handoff to wifi calling, I don't see why the same transition couldn't be used.

I mean in theory they should be able to transition even an active call from VoLTE to calling+, I think. My understanding of calling+ is basically wifi calling, just over LTE. So if VoLTE can handoff to wifi calling, I don't see why the same transition couldn't be used.

I do not believe what you speak of is possible. When Sprint turns on VoLTE, wifi calls will be moved to that IMS...

I do not believe what you speak of is possible. When Sprint turns on VoLTE, wifi calls will be moved to that IMS...

I think calling+ and wifi calling on newer devices are already using that IMS.

Back on topic, how's the reliability around there? Both times I've been in Martinsville in the past 6 months I've had around -100 B25 signal that will only work for about 30 seconds then stops until I airplane mode it and it works for another 30 seconds.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

Sprint has coverage at 99% of places Verizon does in the city and surrounding areas, they're on every , even where ATT doesn't but speeds are very bad to lower ok, usually .5 to 10 Mbps, 20 Mbps at most at about 10% of the time.. It used to be better but now that almost all Sprint customers are on LTE, it's been pretty crap.

There is Band 41 85% of the time, with B25 the other 10% and Band 26 the last 5%. Sometimes speeds on Band 26 and 3G are better then Band 41. It's cheap so a lot of people here have it but the people who want speed have Verizon or ATT.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know this is PA but I thought I would still throw it out there.

2.5 TDD LTE Multi-beam 3 sectors node is now On Air at  Steelton  with 2 x 20Mhz carriers, CA enabled.

Site Name

Site Address

County

Steelton

1851 UPS Drive   Harrisburg, PA 17102

Dauphin

On 8/7/2017 at 6:21 PM, chamb said:

Yep, looks to me like you did find band 25 CA in Hanover, Pa. The screenshot looks like "G" Block Aggregated with the "C" block maybe.   I was fairly sure you would find it on all sites around Hanover. They probably must do it to neighboring sites. Now, the question is how far does it go. Over the whole county or several counties?

I have not seen it yet in Franklin County, but Franklin has always been the "A" Block for 1X and 3G.  Adams and York were not the "A" block, but I am not sure that they were the "C" block" .  I think some trading was done with one of the other carriers.

Did you run a speedtest on the aggregated band 25?

Why CA then? The C block is contiguous with the G block which would allow a single 10x10?

That site has been with B41 online for a while now atleast 4 months.:rasp: 
But thanks for the report. How has it been network wise? I know shentel started slowing down in that area.
I haven't been there to check it. In my service area we are full steam ahead. Getting ready to light up some new towers soon. Hasn't slowed down at all. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Should have posted this a while back:

https://www.shentel.com/news/2017/october/ntelos merger completed

The key item is the amount of work completed a full quarter ahead of schedule:

"Shentel committed $240 million for the initial network upgrade and coverage expansion. As of September 30, Shentel has upgraded 854 sites to 4G LTE, added 800 MHz coverage and capacity; decommissioned 99 overlapping sites; and added 2.5GHz capacity to 197 sites. As planned, Shentel will have built 60% of the 220 additional coverage sites in West Virginia and southern Virginia by year end 2017, with the remaining 40% to be built in 2018. By the end of 2018, Shentel will have the largest 4G LTE wireless coverage area in its West Virginia and southern Virginia Affiliate area."

"The Company is pleased to have migrated approximately 65% of the prepaid and 73% of the postpaid former nTelos customers to Sprint, while at the same time having rebuilt the entire acquired network."

It is almost true that they have upgraded the entire nTelos network.   They are continuing with extensive work in the April 2017 expansion area which covers Marietta OH, Parkersburg WV, Gallipolis OH, Portsmouth OH, which you guys can look at or report here if your are a sponsor (donate the cost of a typical lunch to become one):  

and also some here (look at the bottom of the map:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/SHEN/5470481102x0x962380/768CF7A2-6377-4D29-B258-69EB6C21CD0F/SHEN_Earnings_Call_Q3_2017_-FINAL_v1.0.0.pdf

shentel+ntelos+improvements.JPG

shentel+ntelos+improvements+2.JPG

shentel+ntelos+improvements+3.JPG

shentel+ntelos+improvements+4.JPG

From Q&A - still working on 2018 CAPex budget, which will include new sites in April 2017 expansion area, Cumberland, MD, Parkersburg WV mentioned. 

They believe their network is equal to or better than national carriers.

Shentel launched their biggest advertising in their history and the end of September to show LTE and new coverage.  Store traffic has picked up. They are almost doubling their typical advertising.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know any of Shentel's cellular technicians in the Woodstock, VA area? The tower near my house in Woodstock has a dead B26 carrier just on one sector. I have reported it a couple times in the Sprint app, but a week later and it's still not working. My phone will connect to it, but no data will go through. I really just think Sprint hasn't told Shentel. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. 

Anyone know any of Shentel's cellular technicians in the Woodstock, VA area? The tower near my house in Woodstock has a dead B26 carrier just on one sector. I have reported it a couple times in the Sprint app, but a week later and it's still not working. My phone will connect to it, but no data will go through. I really just think Sprint hasn't told Shentel. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. 
Cross streets of the site?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Address of the site is 105 E South St, Woodstock, VA. The East facing sector has no data only on B26. B25 and B41 are fine. GCI of the bad sector is OFE1981A.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'll check in to it