Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

Glad to see some good speeds on B41! I have noticed more B41 going on in Charlottesville recently and I was using my Samsung so I was able to see from SCP. I have seen at least three sites in the past month get B26 so that's a good thing.

There is a spot around Lake Monticello where I lose service and just recently will catch USCC Band 12 roaming so that's new to this area. Why are our speeds slower than big metros? Low spectrum? Backhaul?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to see some good speeds on B41! I have noticed more B41 going on in Charlottesville recently and I was using my Samsung so I was able to see from SCP. I have seen at least three sites in the past month get B26 so that's a good thing.

There is a spot around Lake Monticello where I lose service and just recently will catch USCC Band 12 roaming so that's new to this area. Why are our speeds slower than big metros? Low spectrum? Backhaul?

Probably more likely less site density than big cities, but the more spectrum that comes online, the better everyone's experience will be. For instance, as B26 comes online, B25 speeds will increase. As B41 comes online, B25 speeds will increase.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Probably more likely less site density than big cities, but the more spectrum that comes online, the better everyone's experience will be. For instance, as B26 comes online, B25 speeds will increase. As B41 comes online, B25 speeds will increase.

I'm excited to see what the future holds. I hit 150mbps one time on a Clearwire B41 site in Short Pump last year but the max speed I have ever seen in Charlottesville was 50mbps.

Starting to see really high ping times and slow up and down speeds again in both Greene and Albemarle County Va once again. Been like that for the past 3 or 4 days now. 

• Like 1

Starting to see really high ping times and slow up and down speeds again in both Greene and Albemarle County Va once again. Been like that for the past 3 or 4 days now.

Speeds have been okay for me but I see ping is high again [emoji19] did a speed test and 400ms ping

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Went to Waynesboro this evening and connected to the Band 41 site that I actually connected to The first time we were able to access the nTelos network. Was pulling 50mbps at that point and it's sad to see what you get now. Speeds have been pretty mediocre in the Shentel areas but Waynesboro used to be the nTelos bread and butter.

post-61131-148305775986_thumb.png

From the tower near my house just west of C'ville. About the same as my home dsl.

dfcddd5789bb18191a4b19f8f4064d70.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9

I would love to see this at my house, Lake Monticello has only had B25 deployed so you have huge holes throughout the Lake area as you go between the 3 towers and a typical speed is about 2-3 Mbps. Usable for sure but at one time I got a consistent 25 mbps.

I'm all for Shentel and that's why I'm sticking around with Sprint but they are really going to have to pick it up on Charlottesville in B26 deployment and faster speeds. I don't want to see the network turn to a 2011 era nTelos 3G

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know what's happened, but we've lost 4G all over Charlottesville. I think this began sometime last week. In some areas I'm not even getting 3G speed. Ugh! Anyone heard what's going on? 965c6a0bf792f0320fa1c88bf8a89037.jpgI

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 using Tapatalk.

Now, at home in Crozet, on back on 4G. What gives? I value) called Sprint today, and I think he mentioned something about work to be done on towers. Duh... It was really hard to understand him, so I'll wait another couple of days, and see if I can get a better answer. 8193c4ee856a19ae5c94fa7cefd24fc1.jpg

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 using Tapatalk.

Shentel seems to be following through with its commitment to nTelos territory

From Yahoo article: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/shenandoah-telecommunications-company-reports-q4-134016030.html

Shentel exceeded its targets for the nTelos network upgrade during 2016.  The number of targeted sites and the number actually completed during the year are provided below:

Target      Actual

Sites upgraded from 3G to 4G LTE:                  301         302

800 MHz capability added to existing sites         94            99

De-commission overlapping sites                       62            76

New Coverage Sites                                           50            51

• Like 11

I'm going to be in Lewisburg late June early July. Anyone know how the network is there. Any B41 or 10x10 B25?

I haven't been to Lewisburg, WV in several years so i'm not sure about network status. I remember being able to call and text just fine though. It is likely still a very rural town so I wouldn't expect B41 or 10x10 but if seen please report!

I haven't been to Lewisburg, WV in several years so i'm not sure about network status. I remember being able to call and text just fine though. It is likely still a very rural town so I wouldn't expect B41 or 10x10 but if seen please report!

Will do! Any sort of logging I should do using SCP? I was going to ask the folks over at the ShenTelos Tracking thread in the Premier Section if they would like me to log my drive there. 

Will do! Any sort of logging I should do using SCP? I was going to ask the folks over at the ShenTelos Tracking thread in the Premier Section if they would like me to log my drive there. 

The best thing about Lewisburg, West Virginia (and there are likely few good things) is that it's only 60 miles from Snowshoe via U.S. 219.  God, I love that place.  Snowshoe would be amazing right about now.

Of course Snowshoe is too close to the Green Bank Radio Telescope Observatory and is, hence, in an RF National "quiet zone."  Hello Wifi calling!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I'm located in Morgantown, WV near the Star City exit off I79 and approximately 2 miles straight line to the closest tower.  I'm at about 1000' elevation with few obstructions between my house and the tower.  I use a Sprint Netgear LTE Gateway 6100D with unlimited/unthrottled data plan for my home internet.  In addition I have a 10db Yagi antenna that is fixed inside my attic but pointed out a window towards the closest Shentel tower.  The yagi is connected to the Netgear device.  My only other option currently is Frontier with 6MB/1MB plan.  I've used this solution since June 2016.  It requires resetting the modem 1-2 times per week and speeds typically range between 6-10 MB download and 2-5 MB upload with a Ping ranges between 100-200 ms.

My questions for folks on this forum are related to Morgantown, WV only and specifically the Shentel tower located near Lowes/Morgantown mall in Westover.  1.  What Sprint bands are available with this tower?  2.  Anyone getting speeds faster than mine listed above?  3.  Any upgrades planned by Shentel for Morgantown and this tower?  4.  Anything else you can share on Sprint/Shentel for this market?

Thanks in advance!

1) B25/B26/B41

2) I don't do many speedtest

3)I don't know what antennas nTelos used but there or how much spectrem off hand. But there should be more B41 carriers.

4)Premier thread should have more data I haven't taken the time to collect all the ntelos data for morgantown yet though.

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

I'm located in Morgantown, WV near the Star City exit off I79 and approximately 2 miles straight line to the closest tower. I'm at about 1000' elevation with few obstructions between my house and the tower. I use a Sprint Netgear LTE Gateway 6100D with unlimited/unthrottled data plan for my home internet. In addition I have a 10db Yagi antenna that is fixed inside my attic but pointed out a window towards the closest Shentel tower. The yagi is connected to the Netgear device. My only other option currently is Frontier with 6MB/1MB plan. I've used this solution since June 2016. It requires resetting the modem 1-2 times per week and speeds typically range between 6-10 MB download and 2-5 MB upload with a Ping ranges between 100-200 ms.

My questions for folks on this forum are related to Morgantown, WV only and specifically the Shentel tower located near Lowes/Morgantown mall in Westover. 1. What Sprint bands are available with this tower? 2. Anyone getting speeds faster than mine listed above? 3. Any upgrades planned by Shentel for Morgantown and this tower? 4. Anything else you can share on Sprint/Shentel for this market?

Thanks in advance!

I know this doesn't help you, but I'm curious how you got an unlimited plan for home use? I didn't know Sprint did that.

• Like 1

I know this doesn't help you, but I'm curious how you got an unlimited plan for home use? I didn't know Sprint did that.

I have a home based business.  This is an account through Sprint Business.  It's not cheap but it works better than Frontier.

Oh, OK. I pay a ridiculous amount of money for home Internet since there is only one provider in my county. $100 a month for cable Internet for 25 down, 5 up, with a 500GB cap. The provider happens to be Shentel. I love their wireless side of things, but their home Internet price is way higher than it would be if we had any competition here.

• Like 1